WineXpert BIG CAB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzyswimmer

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a big cab, very full body. I have yet to make any cabs at all. I would like to here some recommendations from people who have some experience with cabs before I orderany kits.

Thanks, Dizzy<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I have not made a Cab Dizzy but I believe I would look long and hard at getting one of the Mosti Mondiale all juice kits from George. Give George a call and he can help you make a decision based on what you are wanting.

Any of the high end Cabernet's will give you what you are looking for. Wine Expert Estate Series Cab's are good although I do not see the Woodbridge listed in the catalog anymore. The Mosti kits look very promising.I have made 4 different Cab's and all were very good.

Stay away from the lower end Cab kits such as the Vintners Reserve. While it makes a nice, flavorful wine it is on the thin side and you don't really get a true Cab experience. A very nice table wine though.

If you want a big red and don't mind a blended wine, try the Crushendo's. I have made one Crushendo and a couple other grape pack kits and they are all very big, full, rich, what ever you want to call them wines. Many of them are a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon with other grapes. Well worth checking out.

I have never made a Mosti kit but plan on trying. They are 100% juice that surely will offer great body to the finished product. With more juice comes more solids which will offer the potential for a fuller wine. Of course they will take more time to age but the wait should be worth it.

One last thing on that line. Any good Cab kit will take a couple years to reach it's full potential in the bottle. If you have the time and patients to invest that time and can keep out of it, you will make a very fine wine. Make a few cheaper kits to drink to get you by and put those big kits away to age well. So far I have 2 kits that are right at a year that I have not touched yet. I can't say that for all of them but the two I feel have the most potential sit untouched.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

George would certainly have the best info on this since he has made more kits than most of us and gets lots of feedback from customers on what they like or dislike.

I bottled the Austrialian Cabernet/Shiraz in October and it is a very nice red wine. I was told from someone on this Forum, that it gets even better after nine months to a year. I am also in the process of one of the MM Amarone kits, and am very, very pleased with it. If it continues to be as good as it is now, (taste testing as I go) I will purchase another soon. Edited by: jsmahoney

Back