Better-Bottle Carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ithink2020

Reaction score
Who uses them? Love them? Hate them?

I just got one, but won't be using it for a month or so. Just was wondering everyone's thoughts about them.

Edited by: ithink2020

Dont have 1 yet but will be getting a 3'er with the Peach Ice wine which was added after I pre-ordered so that was a nice surprise. I think they are a great concept. Just be careful if full and moving 1 as it can shift shape a little and cause wine to go up into the airlock and you can not vacuum degas in them but other then that they are the Bomb.

smiley32.gif
Good on ya for trying the Better Bottles. After breaking two glass carboys and complaining about how heavy they were I've switched to Better Bottles. I've got 11 of them and still have 3 glass carboys sitting in the garage waiting to be in a garage sale.

Wayne

Dont be shy to post them here as they are going to be hard to get and most of the new 1's are going to be 6.5 gallons and a real PITA when making a 6 gallon kit.

Wade, do they make the 6 gallon Better Boy? With the 6.5 gal, that mean we have to top off with more wine, yes?

wctsue, are these plastic carboys as easy to clean as the glass ones? Any problem with the plastic being dented or cracking?

Mine have cleaned equally as easy as glass. None have cracked or dented. I love them. Please note Wade's comments above regarding moving full carboys or degassing. As to bulk aging, I haven't done that in plastic, yet.

How do you recommend moving them? Do you need to get a handle, or just be care and not bear hug the jug?

UAV>
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">BB05 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Cbb_6g_plain_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

6-Gallon Better-Bottle (Not drilled for racking outlet.)

Uses a #10 Stopper.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$24.99</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$24.99 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Unavailable until mid-August </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

Shipping Cost Estimate</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">BB06 </td>
%5Cimages%5Cbb_6g_plain_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

6-Gallon Better-Bottle (Pre-drilled for racking outlet)

Uses a #10 Stopper.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$26.49</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$26.49 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Stocked </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

</tr>

<tr>
<td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">BB06A </td>
%5Cimages%5Cbb_6g_outlet_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

6-Gallon Better-Bottle with Racking Outlet

Uses a #10 Stopper.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$64.99</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$64.99 </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

</tr>

<tr>
<td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">BB17 </td>
%5Cimages%5Cnopicava2.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Dry Trap Fermentation Lock for Re-Usable Closure
</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$17.99</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$17.99 </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart </td></tr></t></table>As for my comments, I believe that i would buy a bunch of these but would noy=t use a water jug as they ARE NOT THE SAME. I would be careful moving them if they were full as they are squeezable, not as weak as a water bottle but still will displace volume into an airlock and will collapse under vacuum. As for bulk aging I will stand aside and let someone who has 1 answer that as I do not have 1 and am still hesitant to what extent of a smell and taste that a plastic might give off.

20080801_181622_carboy_in_crate.jpg
Easy Easy to move, clean and store. I've bulk aged for six months and I'm sure you could go longer. No detractors for me at all.

As for transport -- use a milk crate. Here's a picture.

Wayne

Thanks, Wade. Good info and now I wonder if the plastic would give off a plastic smell.

I love the Better Bottles! It's all we have. I have had no problems to date. I have been bulk aging in them for up to a year with absolutely no off tastes or odors. Two thumbs up!

OK Here is my .02
I bought a couple and did not like them.. I like to de-gass with a vaccum pump and you ...or at least..I, can not do it with out the bottle sucking in. I have used them to start some batches but end up transfering to glass so I can watch the bubbles come out when I use the pump.
I am new at this so if someone had a solution..please share
smiley2.gif

That part is surely true as you cannot vacuum degas in a plastic bottle.

You will have to have at least one glass carboy if you want to use a vacuum technique for de-gassing.

I racked from my six gallon ported better bottle for the first time today, it was so slick!! I see more of these in my future!! Light, easy to clean, wicked easy to rack!! Less leftover wine waste also.

Back