Other Best way to open juice and/or F-pack?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you open juice and F-packs?

• Cut the bag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cut the cap

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other (please post a reply!)

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

echoloc8

Junior
Reaction score
I've made a few wine kits now (RJ Spagnols and Paklab), and I've always wondered how we're supposed to get the caps off the juice bags. Obviously you can take a knife to the bag itself, or to the cap, but that has always seemed like the Caveman option.

I've searched the forums for answers without success. How does everyone else get at the juice?

-Rich

I twist the top a couple times just below the cap and pop open the cap with the ring end of a cork puller. Then tip the bag into the fermenter and let the top unwind and empty the juice. Works well for me.

I just pop it off with my fingers. It isn't hard if you get the right grip. I grasp the bag neck with my left hand, wrapping my pointer finger and thumb around it. With my right hand, I place my finger tips over the far side of the cap (the top of the cap usually has a little ridge that your finger tips can grip). Then bend your fingers tight so that your upper palm is against the top of the cap closest to you. Apply a simple prying motion and the cap usually pops off with out making any sudden movements which could spill juice. The motion when done correctly, will have you lifting the far side of the cap with your fingers while your upper palm lightly pushes down on the close side.

Make sure you aren't pushing down on the bag itself when opening, or the pressure could cause a wine gusher when the cap comes off.

CUT NOTHING!!

A simple can opener will pop it off. I used that for years (even when I ran a Ferment on Premises store). But then I got the special tool, and it works even better. A flat head screwdriver will also work.

Here's a link to the first site I found with a pic...
http://www.mywinesense.com/2012/10/12/the-right-tool-for-the-job/

Steve

I have used this same tool from the beginning.

Save those caps. They work great as sink plugs in laundry trays.

The right tool

RUNNINGWOLF IS CORRECT,THIS IS VERY INEXPENSIVE AND SHOULD BE IN EVERY WINE MAKERS TOOL BOX,I GOT ONE ON THESE OPENERS 10 YEARS AGO FROM A( WE REP.AT) A WINE MEETING IN BUENA,IT WASN'T EVEN MARKETED AT THAT TIME ,THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB.:tryTHE MEETING WAS AT RICHLAND GENERAL STORE..IN BUENA......OUTSIDE IN THE SUNSHINE..A GREAT DAY .

Last edited:
Well, this is unexpected! I had no idea this tool even existed. :slp

Now to find one. I guess I should start with my LHBS. I know they're at northernbrewer.com, but I'm hoping to pay less than that.

I do have one of those bucket opener tools--maybe I can figure out how to use it on the juice cap as well.

-Rich

Finally got around to making my Cornucopia Raspberry Merlot kit last night, and decided to break out the funny bucket opening tool I've had for years and stopped using:

Bucket opening tool

It's very clear this was also intended for opening juice bags. If you look at the picture on the Northern Brewer site, the "far" end of the tool curves around into a square tip, and this fits perfectly into the topmost wide groove of the juice bag cap, while the "near" end juts down into a hook that fits perfectly under the matching lip. Slide on, grab the bag firmly under the cap, and pop, it comes off with little force. No fuss no muss.

I'd say it's better at uncapping juice bags than "delidding" buckets! :se

-Rich

I use a butter knife between cap and spout. I insert it perpendicular to the round opening, and pry off the lid. Just don;'t use a sharp knife in case you slip.

Back