Bell Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBell

Reaction score
Well here goes my adventure...

I planted my begining small vineyard on our family farm last spring. The grapes are: Vidal Blanc, Traminette, Vignoles, Noiret, Marquette, NY95, and Concord.

The initial vineyard is located in a feild that had beenunused for a long time. A North East facing (good in our region),steep sloped hill with heavy clay and limestone rock outcroppings. This site was almost unusable for about everything except maybe grapes or goats. Goats aren't as awesome as wine andthe grapes didwonderful last year.

When I was in college, my mom introduced me to a couple of her freinds that made wine together, and well the passion began there. I've stewed on this idea for over ten years and I am ready to move foward. It may take me ten more years (not rich,extremely tight budget... if any), but I have aspirations of having a small farm winery.
20110104_123146_DSC00852_edited.JPG

Daniel, welcome to the forum and we're glad you found us. Please feel free to ask any questions. I really look forward to following you posts as I do several others that have on going ones on here. I love the Vidal and this is the first year for me to make Vignoles (regular and late harvest) and Traminette, all excellent wines.

What a nice spot you have for the vineyard. You mention heavy clay soils. Do you have the vines on their own roots or do you have them on a clay tolerant rootstock? That might help them deal with the heavy clay in the future.

I look forward to following your progress.

Thanks, the family farm is a pretty good location - just off a main highway in which many tourist travel to our lake from Ohio. On a side note, I live on smaller farm about 12 miles away. 7 miles from town.SinceI live there and there aregood bones to utilize in regards to structures, I will likely do the future wineryon the smaller farm. I do have options though.
smiley1.gif

I considered rootstocks, but decided to keep it simple for this country boy. I wanted to see how they would do. Also, I will likely be planting in other areas that are more fertile(clay loams). I canutilize cuttings from the varieties that do not have growers agreements/restrictions.

you can have everything going for you...good site for grape growing...and even a resulting wonderful set of vines...but it will be the people actually reaching into their wallet to grab some cash or a credit card to purchase your wine that will make it a business success...and for good wine they WILL DO THAT....but before even THAT happens you need one more key ingredient if you want to be more than just a wholesaler of your wine....you need visibility...and from that first picture (shown above) you have THAT.....clear out some of those trees and if that is your land to the highway, take your vines right to it and get a sign there

it is true that you wil be mentioned in brochures and web sites promoting vineyards in your state....and people WILL travel to see you....but that alone is only part of the battle....people who drive that road daily will talk about you to their friends and family AS YOU DEVELOP.....IF.they can see you NOW

trust me my friend.....each car driving by you is a potential money in your pocket ....if they can see you then they can know you...and knowing about you is the only way they can buy from you

i understand that this is down the road some years, based on what you have said, but each day that they go by and see your development is free advertising......go out there and work on the heavy travel days so that people have something to see...and mrs smith will say to mr smith....'look! honey....there is a vineyard there!'

Welcome Daniel.
You are living my dream.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Al Fulchino said:
you can have everything going for you...good site for grape growing...and even a resulting wonderful set of vines...but it will be the people actually reaching into their wallet to grab some cash or a credit card to purchase your wine that will make it a business success...and for good wine they WILL DO THAT....but before even THAT happens you need one more key ingredient if you want to be more than just a wholesaler of your wine....you need visibility...and from that first picture (shown above) you have THAT.....clear out some of those trees and if that is your land to the highway, take your vines right to it and get a sign there

it is true that you wil be mentioned in brochures and web sites promoting vineyards in your state....and people WILL travel to see you....but that alone is only part of the battle....people who drive that road daily will talk about you to their friends and family AS YOU DEVELOP.....IF.they can see you NOW

trust me my friend.....each car driving by you is a potential money in your pocket ....if they can see you then they can know you...and knowing about you is the only way they can buy from you

i understand that this is down the road some years, based on what you have said, but each day that they go by and see your development is free advertising......go out there and work on the heavy travel days so that people have something to see...and mrs smith will say to mr smith....'look! honey....there is a vineyard there!'

Al that was pretty awesome and I don't think anyone could have said that any better then you just did. And you have the experience to boot!

WOW!!!

That is sweet Daniel. That looks perfect. That is a dream for almost anyone here (myself included)

Congrats...

Joel

Good luck Daniel and welcome to the 'obsessed' group!!!

It starts small and then they grow - pretty much on their own!!!!!! Think barrel quantities - a gallon per vine is pretty much the number - so 60 gallons 60 vines - unless you are like Al and Rich who get about 30 gallons per vine. You see, they drink all this fresh juice of everything and when they touch the vines it just seems to be a natural fertlizer!!!!

Again welcome and soon you will see - we are all tuch'd

rrawhide

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
Al,thatistruly greatadvice! I live in a dry county (yes, you read that correctly).So to do the winery, I will first have to do a precinct vote forthe smallfarm. I've thought about doing the vote at each place just in case one didn't make it. If they both do, can do vinesand tasting rooms at both locations and the actual winery at the home spot. Not honed in on what to do yet. But your absolutely right about the visability of this location.At my home farm, one usually does not come downthe road unlessthey live close by - not great natural advertising
smiley21.gif

Some additional pics:
20110105_085549_DSC00855.JPG

20110105_085513_DSC00854.JPG

20110105_085430_DSC00853.JPG

rrawhide said:
Good luck Daniel and welcome to the 'obsessed' group!!!

It starts small and then they grow - pretty much on their own!!!!!! Think barrel quantities - a gallon per vine is pretty much the number - so 60 gallons 60 vines - unless you are like Al and Rich who get about 30 gallons per vine. You see, they drink all this fresh juice of everything and when they touch the vines it just seems to be a natural fertlizer!!!!

Again welcome and soon you will see - we are all tuch'd

rrawhide

No doubt, when I first read the poundageRich is getting from his vines on sand, I thought it must be a typo
smiley29.gif
! Pretty awesome what they've done.

Mike...:) it must be the whole hatfield and mccoy thing.....one against the other...even down to the county level :)

-----

Daniel...ya better get a good reading on the license thing before you got product and no where to sell it

Al Fulchino said:
Mike...:) it must be the whole hatfield and mccoy thing.....one against the other...even down to the county level :)

-----

Daniel...ya better get a good reading on the license thing before you got product and no where to sell it

Can't sell means more for me
smiley17.gif
! Seriously though... Currently, there are three licensed wineries in the county. Every farm that has went thru the vote has gotten it and been approved. Certainly not a guaruntee, as anything can happen.

The plan is to stay relatively small until all throttles are a go.Still a long ways away from product or anything. Just a baby on a bottle.Gota little fire in my belly and some dreams... oh, and some first year vines too. I know this road won't be easy, but nothing worth having is easy.

One small step for man, one giant leap for insanity!

Daniel,
What grapes are those other wineries growing in Somerset?? Did you choose yours based what is working for them?

ibglowin said:
Dry county in Kentucky?

Isn't Kentucky like the Bourbon Capital/State of the world!
smiley36.gif

Makes no difference. Logic does not apply!!!
Jack Daniels is made in a dry countyjust down the road from me.
smiley29.gif

randoneur said:
Daniel,
What grapes are those other wineries growing in Somerset?? Did you choose yours based what is working for them?

Of the top of my head: Chambourcin, Norton, Concord, Niagara, Catawba, and a private vineyard is growing Chardonnay. Outside of my county, you can include: Vidal, Tarminette, Vignoles, Cayuga White, Seyval Blanc, and I remember Buffalo. I know I've missed a few.

I took the approach of seeing/tastingwhat others have grown in the region and the strengths/weaknesses of the wines. And then studying up on other varieties to try bring in something new where I felt there are weaknesses and what is suited best for here.

I also purposefully did not choose a couple varieties that I really liked just to be different and not compete. i.e. I love the Catawba a vineyard makes down the road, I can't see the benifit of me making it too. I like doing multiple vineyard tours and beleive others do to. So I want to havedifferent varieties for people to try.

Dan I understand what your saying about making the same product but I live in the heart or Niagara and Concord country and all of the wineries sells these products but each they all blend them differently to come up with there own brand.

Just because a winery down the road makes a catawba wine doesn't mean that yours won't taste different. I enjoy going to different wineries and tasting the same variety of grapes. There can be quite a difference from one place to the other. This is just my opinion , but don't let that stop you from growing a variety that you love. My wife and I really like Catawba wine!!!

BOB

Back