Which Red varietal - local vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craig that's great, I have to press my first time grapes tomorrow and wasn't sure how I was going to approach it without a press. I have three billion buckets lying around, now I know how I will do it. Time to get the drill out. Thanks

I pretty much followed what this guy did:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vdrGCqkqoA[/ame]

I know there are a few threads on this forum that give good ideas too! Hope it goes well, I had a blast (I think a few Moosehead beers helped too).

Great job on the pressing. I just got two buckets of these guys' Malbec. Might have to buy that spigot bucket!

Got some new solution and the TA was 8.2 g/L, a little more believable with a 3.67 pH.

When I tasted today, the wine is much more what I expected, sharper on the tongue acidity wise. I'm sure mixing the pressed wine with the free run is what did that. I will go ahead with MLF once I get my Chardonel and test it's acidity. If high enough I will do an MLF on both.

Will rack off the inch or so of sediment on the bottom. Picked up another 3 gallon carboy so I can rack into what I expect will be a 5 & 3 gallon, we shall see.

Edit: fit perfectly in the 3 + 5 gallon carboys. Maybe a pint left over. When I racked there was at least and inch of trub in the bottom of both carboys. Sure I'll see a lot more than that. Hope to get 7 gallons when finished.

Last edited:
Great job on the pressing. I just got two buckets of these guys' Malbec. Might have to buy that spigot bucket!

Have you purchased buckets from them before? I've heard they make an excellent wine, but have never done it myself. Can't always believe what you see/read on the internet, would rather hear from someone I can trust who has used their product before.

Their product is excellent. They even send all the accoutrements you would pay for at other places. Customer service is top notch. A little disappointed that I had already secured some petite sirah before I saw it on their website. May have to make two batches this year. Here's my Malbec sulfited and waiting for tomorrow's yeast. Sooooo excited!!! [emoji16]ImageUploadedByWine Making1442703537.971041.jpg

So what I see from their site, one bucket will make about 3 gallons of finished wine, is that correct?

I really like some of their offerings. Would probably order two buckets at once. Have to win the lottery or wait until the Spring tax return to order.

If you have a press, about 3 1/2. What varietal would you be considering? I would suggest the Carneros merlot. 115 +30 shipping. I ordered that and a cab they had. Bottle three splits of merlot and blended the rest. I poured a bottle (5 months old no barrel) for my friend and he said he'd have to rethink drinking merlot. It stood on its own and for the price, would be excellent early drinking while the rest ages.

Oooooor, a cab, merlot, petite sirah blend!!! Just thinking.

Oooooor, a cab, merlot, petite sirah blend!!! Just thinking.

Now your talking!

All of them look interesting. I should probably hold off until I can get a real press. The buckets worked but what did I waste? Actually I didn't waste anything yet because the skins are frozen in the freezer at this point.

Just took a small sample of the Dornfelder. Nice and dry. Flavor at this point is sharp enough that a secondary MLF will improve it IMHO. TA measured at .82 when fermentation was complete last week.

Treading water until I get my Chardonel juice on Sunday and can test the TA and see if I may run that through MLF as well. If so the Dornfelder will have to hang out for a week or so until the Chardonel can ferment. Both carboys of the Dornfelder are topped to 1/2 inch of the top, so I should be fine.

Plan on oaking both since my Mom would like a Chardonnay that has been oaked. Have the Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Naked Chardonnay for my wife who prefers no oak.

Let me know how that turns out for you. I have about 6 bottles left and will not be making that again. Had high hopes for this. Fermented and once clear I split it into 2 (3) gallon carboys and left one "naked" and the other added about 1.5oz of light toast Hungarian oak. It is still to this day harsh, tart like it has too much acid or something, just not balanced IMHO. I think I will go back and do another RJS EP Australian Chardonnay next time around. That one turned out very nice.

Have the Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Naked Chardonnay for my wife who prefers no oak.

Let me know how that turns out for you. I have about 6 bottles left and will not be making that again. Had high hopes for this. Fermented and once clear I split it into 2 (3) gallon carboys and left one "naked" and the other added about 1.5oz of light toast Hungarian oak. It is still to this day harsh, tart like it has too much acid or something, just not balanced IMHO.

Do you remember which yeast you used, and did you leave it on the fine lees for a while? Just curious. Too bad you can't take a kit through MLF. Did you ever test the pH and TA on it? I never do on my kits figuring you are paying for the manufacturer to have them balanced.

Yes, I swapped for BA11 which is my go yeast for white (kit) wines and I have loved every wine I have used it with. I will check pH next time I open one. I probably won't check TA as it is not worth the time and effort.

Well, started thinking about what yeast I had planned on using for this Chardonel I'm picking up tomorrow, and with my advanced age (will soon be 53) forgot what I had dreamed up. Went and looked at the yeast bank in the fridge and found D47 as the best possibility unless I use K1-1116V or EC-1118. Looks like D47 is compatible with MLF so guess I'm going with that one. Glad my job doesn't depend on my long term memory.

And yes, I did order and have the MLB. Small mental victory.

Picked up the pressed juice yesterday afternoon. Jeff (owner) and his helpers had picked all morning and were pressing the whites and pumping into tanks to settle when I was there.

Brix was 24 with a pH 3.21 and TA 8.7 g/L. Added 1/2 gallon boiled cooled water to lower Brix and TA a bit. Thought it would raise the pH also but didn't. Could be that fermentation was just starting up when I took the sample this evening. SG down to 1.090 and TA 7.3 g/L. FermCalc shows it being about 13% ABV if it goes as dry as my wines usually do.

Have never used D47 yeast before. Rehydrated with GoFerm and just added 1/2 the Fermaid O this evening. Keeping at around 68*F.

Racked the Chardonel tonight, SG .998. Picture doesn't do justice but there is almost a gray or greenish tinge to the opaque tan color, much darker than the Pinot Grigio from this Spring.

Pitched MLB (CH35) in this and the Dornfelder. Though not specifically for a red wine MoreWine says it can work successfully in a red. Description says it has a clean and fruity profile, so I don't think it will hurt the Dornfelder which is dry as the Sahara right now.

Took some samples to start a Chromatography tonight so I have a basis of where the acids are pre-MLF.

10-6-15_chardonel.jpg

Been 40 days, did another test last night. Looks as though it has nearly finished (at least it has tasted that way for a few weeks). Found out what the small blue dots come from. I must have been thinking of how good these batches will taste and squirted some saliva at the sheet.

11-16-15_chromatography.jpg

Let me know how that turns out for you.

The Eclipse Dry Creek Chardonnay is my best kit to date at 2.75 months. Let's see how it ages and what it tastes like next year at this time.

If I'd grab a bottle, my wife would drop what she is doing and put an empty glass in my face until I poured some for her. Her new "favorite" wine. She's had a lot of those recently. Too bad she won't see that one again for a year.

Dornfelder update. After having a Forza taste, my glass was empty and the Dornfelder screamed to be noticed. Poured a few ounces and this one too is starting to really taste nice. Has had a few spirals of Med + American oak for a few months. Was tasting a little herbaceous when young, but even though still young that taste is disappearing quickly. Very dry and very enjoyable at this point. Still needs until early spring before I consider bottling it. Don't know if I'll throw in some Tannin complex or Tannin Extra Riche, not really sure it needs it. Nice dark fruit in the aftertaste at this point.

Back