Bell Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I also purposefully did not choose a couple varieties that I really liked just to be different and not compete.."

i am w Bob on in this in a BIG way...i mean think about it....one day you will be on one side of the tasting table and a customer on the other...and you will have tied one hand behind your back because you will be standing there saying to them 'these are my second favorite wines...i dont grow the ones that i really and absolutely enjoy but after you leave here, go to so and so's place...he makes it and sells it and its to die for'....would you really enjoy that? and remember this...while bottling there is usually a 1/4 or more of a bottle left that wont be filled.....guess who gets first shot at drinking it! you! and its always gonna be your second choice! its like a chevy man selling chevy's to you and then at closing time you see him pull out of the garage in a new Dodge or something

you gotta sell what YOU believe in

I agree. But for me I just decided to go with the other white varieties I chosesince I actually like them more overall, and would rather produce them. I can always add it if I choose.
Concord is very popular here as well. Everyone seems to grow it,myself included. Now, if I can just exterminate Black Rot.

You guys are absolutely right. But, I might betoo free with my love statement. I do like my neighbors Catawba. I like to goand visit his vineyard and winery and that gives me a reason togo.

But guys,don't get me wrong, my whole family did many tours together, and my wife and I chose the varieties we wanted to produce at this point. Thewhites we chose edged over the Catawba for us.

Ilove many wines and varieties justlike us all. We narrowed our selections to start, Catawba was on the fringe, but didn't make the cut.

i am just saying that when i stand across from someone who is thinking about whether or not to purhase my wine..i know in my heart that i really like what i am selling...it wont matter to me if they purchase or not because when i go to sleep at night i prefer to love what i am my wines are about versus the commercial success...that may seem cliche, but i mean it..i have ALREADY made money in another business where it was about the money...that left my soul empty...very empty

when you die...and you give your kids money from a 'money' business then you give them money...when you give something you love for good reason...then you give them love

trust me..you dont want to lay your head on that pillow at night saying that you are not selling the wine you love...you will look up the ceiling and try to talk yourself into what you are doing

We are on the same page my freind.We chose ourvarietiesbecuasethey areour favorites that grow well here.

Making smart business decisions are important. But at the end of the day, if this didn't work outI'm left with the varieties that I, and my family love (exploring NY95, my mom and step dad really wanted the concord and they live on the farm).

My decisions are like onions -many layers deep. I may not explain all the details that go into a decision. Not avoiding competition - all of the whites we chose are grown at the wineries around us, just not in our county(1 mile from county line).

That statement about the Catawba was flippant. Just didn't want to grow it in relation with the others wechose. Wewere cool with getting an occational bottle from our neighbor instead. It just wasn't one of our top dogs. Not totally rulling it out of the line up for ever and ever. Just not right now - not a big deal.

just a small tidbit...since i am doing my annual government forms i am reminded of something....if you register w the TTb as a sole proprietorship you can take "family" wine but you have to document it......if you are a corporation you cannot take any wine :)

Thanks Al. I'll definitely remember that. It'll take me some time before I ever get there......

Are we there yet?
smiley22.gif

Since I've read up on Rich's posts, I thought I'd read up on Al's now. Just came up on this quote at the bottom of page 42:

"when the frost hits in the previous winter you think you will never see another grape

when the first bud pops in the spring you feel ages away from a grape

when conditions for disease push you to your limit...
when the pruning seems to tough to complete...
when the weeds race to beat you even while you lay asleep.....
....you are sure you will never see another grape

and then sometime in late july or early august you see this (and then there is only one more thing to think about

20090814_172254_Verasion_2009.JPG

yep...one more thing to think about....
and no, it is not wine, juice or jam...

the invaders....birds, bees and deer

i'll never see another grape :)"

That's Hillarious.

and i had to delete a lot of stuff out of that topic

well the grapes do come...now there is a new problem...

you harvest....when will it be wine?
you ferment and you press...when will it be wine?
you rack, you oak, you stabilize, you age...when will it be wine?
you wait...you sleep...you taste test...when wil it be wine?l

and just when you get that answer......it is wine....a new question arises....

will it be good wine? then.... will people like it?....then...will it sell?

it never ends ;)

Don't be so cheery Al!

Is it wine yet? I sure hope so because the TTB thinks it is as soon as fermentation is over! Too bad it is months to be ready for sale after that.

speaking of the TTB....out of all the government agencies that i have EVER dealt with...my experiences w the TTB to this date is unbelievably good..i mean fantastic....they are so helpful and courteous...its just been a pleasure

Al Fulchino said:
and i had to delete a lot of stuff out of that topic

well the grapes do come...now there is a new problem...

you harvest....when will it be wine?
you ferment and you press...when will it be wine?
you rack, you oak, you stabilize, you age...when will it be wine?
you wait...you sleep...you taste test...when wil it be wine?l

and just when you get that answer......it is wine....a new question arises....

will it be good wine? then.... will people like it?....then...will it sell?

it never ends ;)

So true!! When the wine is in the bottle, then IT must sleep while you wonder if it will be something to be proud of. That is the longest year known you could imagine.

Al, I didn't know what you meant by stating: "and i had to delete a lot of stuff out of that topic" until now (just read about the other farming familycausing troubleinyourforum).I am sorry to read that. I can only hope I don't have too many issues like that here. In small towns, like mine, and it being "dry" it is probably inevitable. Let's pray not, life is already difficult enough as is. But it seems people often are afraid that someone else may get ahead of them or something...? Who knows.

"But it seems people often are afraid that someone else may get ahead of them or something...? "

what you say in this one line is *it*

there is an unwarranted jealousy that some people have if they think they have been around a long time and some neanderthal new comer farmer like myself may have leap frogged over them ...not so much professionally but more so personally...it really is at the core of some people's psyche's

fortunately i know how to navigate things...i posted things that i was doing because i was sincere but deleted them just to spank a couple of local people ..meaning if they want a vineyard they closed the door on my helping them without first an apology

my suggestion to you is *if* you have anything of a situation that i learned that i have...is this....look as stupid as you can...as helpless as you can...run under the radar and then one day you will be open and running before they know what happenned...work w the ttb and the state get all your info....and work at it step by step...these two groups are in the business of law and taxes(and i might add VERY HELPFUL!)...often times local issue is more emotional and ego ..big difference

I have always been very public on this forum and a couple others, not worrying about anyone local seeing it and caring, but........... I have begun to have more and more people call and say "I read such and such on your website or forum". How the heck they ever find me is unknown, but if it is out there, it is out there for the world, not necessarily just the ones you want to share it with.

Rich,

Exactly 2 clicks and I had your phone # and address.......
smiley5.gif

appleman said:
I have always been very public on this forum and a couple others, not worrying about anyone local seeing it and caring, but........... I have begun to have more and more people call and say "I read such and such on your website or forum".  How the heck they ever find me is unknown, but if it is out there, it is out there for the world, not necessarily just the ones you want to share it with.

Rich...you have been very public...and i respect that...i started out that way...but my background in a couple of businesses before this kept me on guard...there are people in the world..not everywhere of course, but there are people who for the sake of jealousy and ego will try to trip you up...they cant help themselves...they dont even have to know you...or have even met you....they just have to know of you and if you are ...in their mind....jumping over them...getting press...attention...well, there are just some that will call a local authority and run up and down your zoning...your paint color on your mailbox.....they will run up and down whatever they can look into....trust me this is not a complaint on my part..its hilarious and it is EVERYWHERE....its even in people's family...i remember a now deceased aunt once telling me i couldnt be a landscaper....well i was....then when i wanted gas stations, she said i could not be a gas station owner....it was really her own insecurity and not personal...but if i were the sensitive type, then i suppose i could have been doubtful about my ventures

trust me Rich...you have a bulls eye on your head...now whether any one can ever do anything is another matter...but trust me, you will have your product in a store somewhere and some other company will come in and want your spot...it happened in my c stores all the time...every vendor wanted the best location and some sales reps will do all kinds of things to take your spot away

i concern myself less about the weather and farming then i do about people

Mike....two more clicks and you can get the zoning board and other similar places...but only twp people makes these four clicks...the people that say 'wow, look what this guy is doing...i would like to do this too!" and then there is another......he or she sneaks around and tries to bring the rising tide down by unplugging the dam...they make four clicks too ;)

going outside now to run the snowblower or the plow...its too dangerous to these days to talk about what you just mentioned

Latest posts

Back