Beginner needs help.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allenfloice

Junior
Reaction score
Started a batch of muscadine wine July 28. I cut recipe into thirds. So 10 pound grapes 1 pack wine yeast filled to three gallon mark and adjusted sugar to S.G. To 1.090 took about 3 1/2 pounds sugar
which if all goes well should yield 11 to 12 % alcohol. August 6 is ten day first fermentation time to strain. Then do I add more sugar or just add water and let it keep going. Oh and do I have to use a carboy and lock or can I leave it in bucked with tight lid.

Hi allenfloice

Welcome to winemakingtalk. I hate to tell you this but with only 10# of grapes for 3g of wine, you are pretty much just making colored water wine. There is not going to be much in the way of flavor. Do not add any more water and yes you should have a carboy with an airlock.

If I was you I would be adding more juice while it is still fermenting

Welcome to the forum. Julie is giving some good advice.

I measured it exactly and fruit and all it's 2 1/2 gallons. Gonna add more juice this weekend. Thanks for advice.

Ok all is well now with my wine after I added more Juice it started fermenting again. It's in mr carboy now. Still a bubbling. I'm gonna rack it at end of month in smaller carboy and not add any more water.

I do not know this for a fact, but folks on here say you add it before the ferment or after the ferment. It doesn't work while fermenting. Good luck with it, Arne.

Back