BBQ Pride

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok,

So I am on a "life journey" to make the worlds best BBQ.

I normally use a dry rub and braze the ribs in the oven. I have a small smoker and place the brazed ribs under about 1 hour of cold smoke for flavor.

It is OK, but nothing like what you can get down south.

Any advise, hints, or tips would be welcome.

(I live in New Jersey, You JUST CAN'T GET GOOD RIBS IN NEWJERSEY!!!!)

Myself I like to pressure cook mine about 15 mins, then (I'll have my sauce already made) I'll put all of them in whatever I'm cooking them in whether it be oven or grill/smoker and cover them with a good coating of the sauce and cook till they get just right. works fine everytime

Last edited:
no I don't brown them first I keep them in long enough for that in the oven or whatever I'm useing that is if they make it that long lol normally they don't

Eddy do you brown them first or anything? When you put them in the oven do you cover or not?

LOL it's Eddie

I know it's silly but it used to gripe me in school yearssssssss ago to long a story

I can make up a recipe for ya if you'd like it is real easy to make that way also good for pulled pork or beef ribs

Hey a cook doesn't have to stop at the meat when he's butchering does he? Sorry. Yes please post the recipe. I think there is another place for this thread also so I may be moving it. Thread has been moved to cooking & Food

Last edited:
By all means,

Post whatever you have including any good BBQ sauce recipes. (Traditionally, I think, that NC is vinegar based???) I have not had good bbq since going down to Murphy NC.

Just a couple of years ago, My Brother in law and I went on a road trip covering Tenn, Ga, NC, and SC. We ate BBQ every day. The best (in our opinions) was this place called "Sticky Fingers". Simply Awesome!.

We also liked a chain called "Rib Country" but found the portions too small. The racks were tiny.

Last edited:
Brown the ribs on the grill, then place them on stand them up on racks in a roasting pan, add your favorite beer and through in some hops, cover with foil and place in oven, temp should be 275. Cook until done. I'll have to dig our my BBQ recipe and post that up. This is how my husband does it and he gets a lot of compliments on how good his ribs are. Also, they should be baby back ribs.

Last edited:
Brown the ribs on the grill, then place them on stand them up on racks in a roasting pan, add your favorite beer and through in some hops, cover with foil and place in over, temp should be 275. Cook until done. I'll have to dig our my BBQ recipe and post that up. This is how my husband does it and he gets a lot of compliments on how good his ribs are. Also, they should be baby back ribs.

So, You grill em first, then steam them in Beer? How long do you steam them?
Any dry rub or maranade before you grill them?

By all means,

Post whatever you have including any good BBQ sauce recipes. (Traditionally, I think, that NC is vinegar based???) I have not had good bbq since going down to Murphy NC.

Just a couple of years ago, My Brother in law and I went on a road trip covering Tenn, Ga, NC, and SC. We ate BBQ every day. The best (in our opinions) was this place called "Sticky Fingers". Simply Awesome!.

We also liked a chain called "Rib Country" but found the portions too small. The racks were tiny.

I have seen "Sticky Fingers" BBQ sauce in the grocery store.
Has to be the same.
We have Dreamland here in Alabama and Georgia and they are good.
Like, "Slap Ya Momma" good.

AND... THEY SHIP!
(from their FAQ)
Do you ship overseas or to an APO address?

We can ship our perishable products (ribs, pork, sausage, etc.) to some parts of Canada but not to any other country. We also cannot ship perishable products to an APO address. To place an order to Canada or to a military address, please call 1-800-752-0544. We can ship our sauce, dressing and retail items to almost every country and those orders must also be placed over the phone.

:u The above description in no way advocates the actual slapping of Mothers. Domestic violence is a problem.

Last edited:
So, You grill em first, then steam them in Beer? How long do you steam them?
Any dry rub or maranade before you grill them?

Well JohnT,

The best I can tell you is you will just have to come on over for a visit and get a lesson while you are here. I asked Mike, my husband, and he said he pretty much just eyeballs it. It depends on how long you brown them on the grill, sometimes they are almost done before he puts them in the oven and he no longer uses beer, just water and his hops (he grows his own.)

He pretty much just eyeballs the ribs to know when they are done, he said he steams them anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours. I know he says when the meat starts to pull away from the bones they are done.

ingredients:
6-8 pounds of country style ribs or 2 racks/slabs of Ribs
2 bottles of Kraft Barbecue Mesquite Plain Sauce 18 Ounce or sauce type of your choice
1/2 cup of mustard
1/2 cup of brown sugar
enough broth to thin sauce mixture down to thin grave consistency(normally around a cup)
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic

cooking:
put ribs in a pressure cooker add around 1 1/2 quarts water cut up whole onion and 2 cloves of garlic
add salt about enough to fill palm of your hand (2 tablespoons) black pepper about 1 tablespoon doesn't have to be exact more to taste
bring cooker to pressure cook ribs around 15-20 minutes at full pressure
let off pressure take ribs out put in shallow pan for oven or throw on grill
meat should be close to pulling from bone or pulling from bone doesn't hurt if it isnt
sauce:
take 2 bottles of favorite sauce add mustard,brown sugar and broth(enough to thin down sauce like a thin gravy) from where ribs were cooked in pressure cooker

oven method: place ribs in shallow pan take sauce mixture and cover ribs completely put in the oven (temp 350) let cook till sauce is bubling on ribs take out cover again with rest of the sauce should be plenty in bottom of pan by now return to oven and let sauce start to bubble again check for tenderness once tender eat away. Normally it will be in the oven about an hour or so not much longer if done right.

grill method: place ribs on a sheet of foil on grill cover ribs with plenty of sauce both sides and cover let ribs cook till sauce gets bubbly hot on ribs repeat then eat whole grill time less than an hour

Oh you will need coleslaw and good thick bread to sop up sauce with as you eat and a big ole glass of sweet ice tea LOL

Last edited:
well there it is best as I can write it down much easier to just do in person but.......... LOL

the measurements on sauce don't have to be exact do to your taste

Ok,

So I am on a "life journey" to make the worlds best BBQ.

I normally use a dry rub and braze the ribs in the oven. I have a small smoker and place the brazed ribs under about 1 hour of cold smoke for flavor.

It is OK, but nothing like what you can get down south.

Any advise, hints, or tips would be welcome.

(I live in New Jersey, You JUST CAN'T GET GOOD RIBS IN NEWJERSEY!!!!)

SLOW AND LOW.
I have a smoker that I can do up to NINE (9) Boston Butts.
Planning on doing a brisket for maybe 14 hrs soon

SLOW AND LOW.
I have a smoker that I can do up to NINE (9) Boston Butts.
Planning on doing a brisket for maybe 14 hrs soon

oh those are really good with that sauce if you pull the butts apart you know into pieces

Oh YEA !!
And I tell you what, If you cant make BBQ sauce "Sweet Baby's Ray" sauce is really good. (I use that)

Oh YEA !!
And I tell you what, If you cant make BBQ sauce "Sweet Baby's Ray" sauce is really good. (I use that)

OH YEA, you are so right on that! OMG Tom I do think DO know about bbq ribs!

Latest posts

Back