Barrel Hoops - Finishing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a cold smoker - similiar to this one
http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm
I really like it, because it is portable and I can put it on my larger smoke box or my grill. We smoked an entire turkey for 1 hour and then we cooked it in the oven - it was great !!!

If you would like more details - please Pm me

Hey Guys,
Apparently, because I'm international and the shipping costs would be too great, they told me to keep and do what I will with it. I'm assuming it's not normal protocol for places that can ship easily back and forth though.

I probably could make it into a little stool, or big chair for my kids :h

I received a barrel from MoreWine last year with some spots on the hoops that looked like rust. I was told scrubbing the spots with StarSan would take care of them. You may want to give that a try before turning it into something else. In my case, the barrel was also the wrong size, but they wanted it back.

Raelene,
Looks like you have 2 oak barrels to use now! Happy New year!

Bhahaha! One to sit on while I fill the other with wine!

Boatboy - the inside of the barrel became the bigger issue. The rust just appeared to be the tip of the iceberg, as it were.

Raelene,
Looks like you have 2 oak barrels to use now! Happy New year!

Ray,

He's right. Consider the fact that the only issue you have is that the hoops are rusting a little bit. I doubt that there is any way for the rust to get into the wine from outside the barrel. I would have suggested that you can use this barrel despite the rust. Just keep the outside of the barrel dry.

If I were you, I would continue using the rusty barrel for ageing wine and rejoice in the fact that you now have two of them.

Sorry, the other issues: improper galvanizing (which I'm sure contributed to the rust); and the inside of the barrel - it looks like someone took a tool of some kind and butchered the inside. Or maybe that a small animal got trapped in there and tried to claw it's way out. It's splintered, scratched, and generally destroyed looking.

If it had just been the rust, no problem. I could have refinished/removed the rust and carried on.

Has no one else ever received a barrel like this? Did I just get bad luck?

improper galvanizing . . . it looks like someone took a tool of some kind and butchered the inside. Or maybe that a small animal got trapped in there

No way I'd use it for wine as is. I would consider taking it apart, splitting the staves (after proper cleaning) to use in carboys or when the new one goes neutral. Although the fact that you already soaked the inside may have eliminated that possibility for now. Good luck.

BTW, I don't think anyone has ever posted a negative comment about MoreWine's customer service. That's very admirable.

Rayway,

The inside is usually smooth due to the toasting (burn) that a proper barrel goes through.

I would ask two questions..

1) is it water (wine) tight?
2) how does the inside smell (I always like to remove the bung and sniff the inside of a new empty barrel. I do the same thing with a newly opened can of coffee.

If it is water tight and smells good, then I do not see any kind of problem using it. Why would a rough interior make such a negative difference?

I have to agree with John. The bung hole can look a little splintered due to having to drill the hole out, as with any drill, if the power fades for a second or two, it won't cut it clean, of course this is only my opinion, I have no clue how the barrel looks, but a scratch and a little splintering won't harm the wine, if anything, if more wood is exposed it would impart more oak (again, this is just my opinion), but I do understand your concerns.

Has no one else ever received a barrel like this? Did I just get bad luck?

I have 4 Vadai's. 2 ordered via Vadai and 2 ordered through Morewine. Never heard of a problem like yours.

You do realize the inside has been burn't (charred) and does not look like the outside at all right?

TonyT: that is one of the big reasons I ordered from them, I'd heard rave reviews about them and their customer service. When ordering from pretty far away, and internationally, good customer service is soo important. And they certainly did not disappoint. As I said earlier, they have been exceptional. The other stuff I ordered is AWESOME.

Regarding the barrel interior: yes, I do know that the inside has been charred :). But it should not look like someone took an axe to it afterwards. It is water tight, but my concern is that there are going to be bacteria that are already in those gouges from whatever did that to it, and it will ruin my wine. (maybe when I drain the water/kmeta out, I can get a picture for you guys, seriously, it's not like a little scratch here or there, that would be ok!). This barrel is definitely not in prime condition, and I wouldn't use it for my wine.

As I've said: MoreWine has been exceptional thus far. I certainly didn't start this thread to bash them! Yikes! It was to troubleshoot my new barrel wonderings. *sigh* Darn it! Every time I type in this thread, I feel like a jerk - I'm not! I just want a good quality, medium toast oak barrel for Pete's sake! Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!!

I don't think that anyone thinks that you are bashing Morewine or that you are being a jerk, you have done nothing but be real cool about this!

Lol, thanks for the reassurance Tom.

I'm also one of those people that hates to send food back at a restaurant. Just makes me feel so guilty! Like the chef will come out and :w

No probs Raelene, we think that you're "as cool as the flip side of a pillow"....lol.... (I was once told that by one of my employees that I was going to reprimand....after that I couldn't yell.....he earn arse kissing points...LOL

Lol, thanks for the reassurance Tom.

I'm also one of those people that hates to send food back at a restaurant. Just makes me feel so guilty! Like the chef will come out and :w

Or he could spit in your food and you'd never know it. :D

I only saw glowing comments about their customer service. Relax Rae!

I don't think anyone thinks you are bashing, so don't worry. You have a chance at possibly having two barrels for the price of one, and I think we just don't want to see that go to waste unless you are absolutely certain that first barrel is unusable. ;)

Definitely do not think you are being anything Raylene. We are all just confused as between us posting on this forum we collectively have ~100 Vadai's and although we have seen some pretty good leakers we have never seen/heard of one like this.

As you are a new(er) member we just want to cover the bases so to speak and make sure there really is a problem. And it sounds like there is!

Thanks folks, what a weird situation. I assumed it was not normal as soon as others started posting! Just my luck I guess. The first food processor I ever had (wedding present) caught fire the first time I used it. No one had ever heard of that. Also, my prime, expensive shovel that I purchased a few years back - I snapped in half the first time I used it. Again, the store had never heard of such a thing happening before. Used them both properly, nothing weird, they just *pfft*!

Maybe I just have weird luck with new stuff? All the second hand things I own work perfectly!

Well, I'm just going to keep it soaking with water/kmeta until the new barrel arrives. Hopefully the new one gets here soon! My planning has screeched to a halt with all of this :re

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back