Barrel Hoops - Finishing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_rayway

Always busy
Reaction score
Hi All,
My beautiful, 20L vadai is currently on it's initial 3-5 day soak, which is going amazingly well!

After some searching, I can't seem to find an answer for this:
The barrel has galvanized hoops that already have started rusting in some places. Does anyone finish their hoops in any way? Tremclad, etc? I'm just concerned that the rust will continue and eventually leach into the barrel, affecting the wine.

:a1

They shouldn't be rusting. At least mine never has. That's the point of them being galvanized...
I'm probably way off here but throwing an idea at you.
Are you submerging the outside of the barrel in strong sulfite solution? If so, maybe it oxidized the coating to the point there was no protective layer.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for responding: Aaron - no, the outside of the barrel was only submerged in regular water.

Tom: It's a Vadai barrel, but I got it from MoreWine, so I'll give them a call to see what's up.

Here's a second question, since now I have some concerns: is the inside of the barrel supposed to be all rough and splintery? Because mine is.

I'm going to be so pissed if I have to return this thing.

Raelene,
I would call Vadai anyway to see if they have a fix, if they say that it needs to be returned, then I'd call morewine as well. The ironic part is that i have sprayed my barrel with a meta solution from a pump sprayer a bunch of times and it hasn't rusted at all.
Even though you will be pissed, I'd rather be disappointed and have a flawless barrel then have doubts about a rusted barrel (then again, it were me, i'd be cussin and screaming and throwing things at this point...LOL)

Really how rusty is it. Pictures please. If it was a little surface rust, I would probably clean it off with a scotch brite pad and move on. Maybe put a light coat of food grade oil on it, but i wouldn't bother. If it's a heavy rust then that's different.

Rae, in order for them to rust there has to be a break in the zinc coating. They are probably "dipped" rather than having the Zn electro-deposited. If you do remove the rust as Dan suggests, I would touch up those spots with Rustoleum.

I agree pics please. I am thinking it may just be some discoloration which is very normal once you hit it with water and or KMETA.

I'm going to be so pissed if I have to return this thing.

I'm hoping all goes well for you Raelene, I know how long you've been waiting!
(I'd do a pic for fingers crossed, but there is none)

Hey All,
Thanks for the replies!

Between the rust which was there before I got the barrel wet, that my husband says it was improperly galvanized (he works in the steel industry), and the splintered/wrecked interior, I decided to call the MoreWine Company today.

The person I spoke to said that it was definitely not normal, and they are already putting together a replacement to send to me. They are standing by their product 100%, and I have to say, I was very impressed by their level of customer service!

I'm looking forward to seeing my new barrel, and chalking this all up to a learning experience.

I will definitely be ordering from MoreWine again.

Anyone know how I could possibly turn the yucky barrel into a cold smoker?

If it's going to be hanging around my house, it should at least be useful...:ot:

I guess I could also use it as firewood, a tiny rain barrel, a chair for the fire pit, etc.

HUH? They are sending you a new one and letting you keep the old one?

Can you make a cushion for the top of it and make a stool out of it?

Pretty sure they are going to want it back to check it over inside and out for the problems you mentioned, otherwise they would have a serious problem with people abusing that policy I would think.

Hey Guys,
Apparently, because I'm international and the shipping costs would be too great, they told me to keep and do what I will with it. I'm assuming it's not normal protocol for places that can ship easily back and forth though.

I probably could make it into a little stool, or big chair for my kids :h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back