Back Sweeting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msfgroup

Reaction score
Good Evening

I am BRAND NEW at the hobby of wine making. We are just starting our first 3 kits (Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, and Merlot) we are also starting a Dragons Blood for something to present while everything ages accordingly. I am wondering if anyone has Back Sweetened with an artificial sweetener like "Splenda" or equivalent for the sake of less calories.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

MSFGROUP

When I was very much younger, I had an aunt of mine explain to me that she only drank Scotch and water, instead of Scotch and Soda to save the calories. Eventually I thought about that and did some math. She saved about 15 calories per drink. I would be concerned about the integration of the taste using something like Splenda and the savings are negligible. Generally you add a pound of two of sugar per 6 gallons.

I've heard the artificial sweeteners can cloud up on you over time.

You can always leave dry and sweeten with artificial when you pop the cork.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone that responded being new to wine making I may have asked a DUMB question regarding the artificial sweeteners. If I offended anyone with this question

My apologies

For me, the calorie savings aren't worth it. For some reason, I'm very sensitive to the taste of artificial sweeteners and I can't stand that flavor. If I'm drinking wine, I'm consuming calories anyway, so one or two more in a glass isn't going to make much difference. ;)

For me, the calorie savings aren't worth it. For some reason, I'm very sensitive to the taste of artificial sweeteners and I can't stand that flavor. If I'm drinking wine, I'm consuming calories anyway, so one or two more in a glass isn't going to make much difference. ;)

I will agree. Most artificial sweeteners have a taste of their own. A taste that I wouldn't want with my wine.

Thanks to everyone that responded being new to wine making I may have asked a DUMB question regarding the artificial sweeteners. If I offended anyone with this question

My apologies

I do not believe that is a dumb question or you would offend anyone by asking. Although I a newbie to this site, everyone is trying to help make better wine. Sugar is such an integral part of this process, whether added to tweak a kit, or suspended in grapes, adding an outside sweetener throws a monkey wrench into the works. There are so many variables that can affect the wine you make, even if you make it the same way each time. Its trying to control what you can to make the best end product. Sometimes it works just like you drew it up, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it surprises you with something wonderful.

If you do decide to try the artificial route, do a small batch or a larger batch divided so you can evaluate and record the end results. Welcome and good luck!

The easiest way to limit sugar calories in wine is to train yourself to like dry wine. I know people who use artificial sweeteners, and their wines tastes artificially sweetened. And I agree, there is not that much of a caloric savings.

On the other hand, sugar can wreak havoc with certain weight-loss diets by playing with insulin levels, especially if you are a glass after glass drinker like me. Recent research says artificial sweeteners don't mess with insulin but they do depress the long-term feeling of satiety (fullness), which also can derail a diet.

Dry wine is the way to go, and everything you listed that you are making should do well dry.

Since you have kits. Follow the directions and see how they come out before you address sweetening. The varieties you mention above should be served dry. If you insist on sweeting, try in small batch first. Once you sweeten you own it.

Latest posts

Back