back sweeten

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acesover

Reaction score
should you use a simple sugar to back sweeten a fruit wine or should you use pure fruit juice?

You can do it either way....I like to to use simple syrup as I add it sometime just before bottling....when using fruit juice you have the danger of clouding your wine and could need to do more clearing.....I have never had a problem with clouding with simple syrup

I have done it both ways and had trouble both ways. I still like to buy a juice, reduce it down on the stove so its about 1/3 the size which concentrates the sugar and flavor and then use that tp back sweeten as it gives it that extra flavor usually lost by fermenting.

Hear. Hear. Wade.

I too do both.
I've found that adding juice, rendered from the fruit (or concentrated) really perks up the flavor and aromawhile adding white table sugar adds the sweetness.

If you're not so much interested in adding to your taste or aroma, just add the white table sugar.By the way, I've also discovered that adding natural sugar adds a cane aroma and taste.
While I prefer natural, unbleached sugar in my hotbeverages, I definatly prefer white, bleached sugar in my wines.

Oh...

As far as "clouding up the wine" is concerned.
Don't worry about that. It's a natural part of wine makingjust as clearing is.
If you want it right, you have to work for it patiently. Easy is somthing you buy in a grocery store.

If you want a nice, clear wine without having to filter it, I would say that simple syrup would be the way to go when back sweetening. If you don't overboil your syrup when you make it, there should be no clouding of your wine.
If you're looking fora very fruity flavorin your wine, you may need to go with the fruit juice. But if you want a light fruit flavor to compliment the other aspects of your wine, I'd really suggest a simple syrup.

Latest posts

Back