B-Brite bottle rinsing question..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtydog420

Reaction score
I recently switched from C-brite to b-brite for sanitizing bottles for bottling.. When using c-brite, I would fill the bottles twice to rinse them cause of the chlorine.. Obviously with b-brite there is no chlorine, and have been only rinsing once.. So far I havent noticed any off flavors but was wondering if thats enough?

I rinse well with cold water. Of course, before I bottle, I give it a shot of
K-meta solution for sanitizing.

I stopped using B-Brite for snitizing years ago. It really is not a sanitizer- merely a cleaner. It also leaves a residue buildup. I may wash with b-brite or oxyclean, rinse well and later use high strength k-met to sor of sanitize them before use.

Oh.. I didnt know/realize that.. Oops.. I just make a bleach solution..

Doesnt the K-meta solution add extra sulfites? Would it effect flavor?

Do NOT use bleach!

I believe the consensus here is to use K-Meta. I let it drip out on the bottle tree while I get the bottle filling stuff ready to go. It may get a drop in each bottle but that's fine. You're still way under the store levels of sulfites in the wine.

Bleach and wine making do not go together in any way. Stay away from any Chlorine for that matter.

So if I use a K-meta solution, which I make already, how long do the bottles need to be in contact with the solution?

Most all of us use the Vinator. 5 or 6 pumps and then hang it on the bottle tree. This is done just before bottling. The SO2 comes into contact with the walls as well as producing a nice atomized amount of SO2 that will permeate the entire cavity and sanitize the bottle in just a few minutes.

Last edited:
Do NOT use bleach!

I believe the consensus here is to use K-Meta. I let it drip out on the bottle tree while I get the bottle filling stuff ready to go. It may get a drop in each bottle but that's fine. You're still way under the store levels of sulfites in the wine.

Most all of us use the Vinator. 5 or 6 pumps and then hang it on the bottle tree. This is done just before bottling. The SO2 comes into contact with the walls as well as producing a nice atomized amount of SO2 that will permeate the entire cavity and sanitize the bottle in just a few minutes.

These guys are spot on. Same practice I've been doing over the years no problem. Do not rinse the bottles after using k-meta. Sanitizing solution = 3tbs of kmeta per gallon. I usually add a cup or so of water, add the k-meta and shake the hell out of it to dissolve. Then continue filling gallon jug shaking it as I fill.

Chlorine use can lead to TCA or Cork Taint if you use a cork made with any natural cork. It doesn't always happen, but does maybe 5% of the time- don't take the chance.

There is no reason to use chlorine when there are good cleaners that don't contain chlorine like Oxyclean etc.

Ive been using k-meta solution for the corks since I started making wine. Also use it for my hoses, raking cane, and whatnot.. I put some in my carboys not in use under airlock so they are always ready..

So its not that Im unfamiliar with k-meta solutions just didnt realize it was used widely for sanitizing bottles.. Dont have money for the thingy you guys use but I got an idea Im going to try..

Thanks for help.. Cheers

It really brings this message home when you open a bottle that has this cork taint. This is why I always smell the cork right after opening a bottle. I have read reports that up to 15% of commercial wine can have cork taint, but people don't realize what it is, so they drink it anyway. I know I did early on in my wine drinking experience. I do wonder why some much of the wine wil have this, unless lots of wineries use chlorine, anyway.

The end of the cork (and the wine) will have a musty smell, like you get when you go into a dark room that has been closed up for a long time, especially in a humid area. It is not a rotten smell, just ... musty smelling.

Once you smell it and recognize what it is, you will definitely remember it. Of all the smells wine gives off, one of them should never be a musty smell.

So what about beer bottles? If you are making beer or sparkling wine, would you still use k-meta solution for the bottles or would that hinder the bottle fermentation?

Back