Auto - Siphon Loosing Siphon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donking2010

Reaction score
I've used my auto-siphon 2 times now and I have this problem of loosing my siphon were the tube connects to the racking cane. Air keeps getting in I have to hold it as tight as I can with my hand to keep air out, sor the siphon keeps going. This has possed quite a problem when my hand cramps up and i have to let go. Then start pumping my siphon just abolve the lees, that tends to agitate the lees and they come up on me.

So my question is how can I get a good seal where my tubing connects to the racking cane?

Thanks all!

Push the tubing on the cane more after warming under hot water. If that isn't tight enough just get a small water pipe clamp(same as used for fuel lines, etc.) Any hardware store should have them if needed for about 50 cents.

appleman said:
Push the tubing on the cane more after warming under hot water. If that isn't tight enough just get a small water pipe clamp(same as used for fuel lines, etc.) Any hardware store should have them if needed for about 50 cents.

Thanks appleman the clamp is what I was thinking about but didn't know if there was a proper way of getting a good seal.

Thanks I'll try the hot water first though.

DONKING2010///sometimes i also have that problem,assuming your using the correct size tubing,you could have it pushed to far up the raking cane, i should be 1/2 inch,or could be 3/8 inch thats the two sizes they come in,to far up to the bend, airs in/ no seal,but if its just up 1 inch or so should have no problem with a seal unless theres the hose is not cut square,clamps,tape are a sign of incorrect fit,frustrating isn't it,i get really bothered when they break at the bend
smiley7.gif
,but as a rule good product
smiley20.gif
thats why the mfg. doesn't tell you to go to extermes just put the tubbing on///should be no problem//but it can be
smiley7.gif
Edited by: joeswine

I use a sanitized wire wrapped around the tube near the end of the racking cane just like a twist tie. Works just fine.

Stainless steel hose clamp is the way to go. Cheap, easy to put on and take off.

Latest posts

Back