Asparagus Roots..........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobe05

Reaction score
About a month ago, I bought on EBay 15 asparagus roots, this purchase was made based on a post that NorthernWino posted when hers sprouted up. I love asparagus, but knew nothing about growing them. After a little research, and a little work, I created a bed for the roots, then I went to work and looked for them. They were impossible to find at nurseries unless I wanted to start from seed, which is very timely. I got on Ebay and found that a few people had roots, some 2 year old, and others not saying how old their roots were (which generally means one year). I took my chances and bought 15 roots from "Farmboy2, I chose this seller because he was the cheapest, I had no idea of his product, till I received them.

They were wonderful roots and very well handled and preserved. Like most Ebay sellers with small plants, he advertised 15, and shipped me 18.

2 days after these roots were in the ground, they were sprouting, a month later and they are now over a foot tall, each plant, everyone is doing very well.

I have never done this on an Ebay purchase, but I felt compelled to email the seller and let him know how pleased I was with my purchase, and thanked him for being an honest seller. We have since exchanged several emails regarding these roots and other plants. He is trying to make a viable gardening business going by re-selling plants, seeds and other items, utilizing Ebay as an outlet. However he will sell to anyone direct if you just email him through his ebay email. He is presently out of asparagus, but will be getting more for next years planting season and will be taking pre-orders starting in January. I am on his mailing list as a reminder to oder come January.
If anyone is interested, Please contact Mark through his Ebay Email contact. If that doesn't work, I can PM you his home email.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330114461537

Edited by: jobe05

Nice to have a good buying experience.

Glad you are having luck with your asparagus. Up here in the far Northern part of the country we plant our roots in a trench and as they grow the first year you put more good dirt on top of them till the trench is full...that way the roots are nice and deep.

Feel free to add good rotted manure on top of your new growth...every spring we load the rows up with compost...they love to be well fertilized in the spring.

Here we can pick till the beginning of July, then let the plants grow in to big ferns and store nutrients to build the plant. You should be able to harvest some next year depending on how stalkythe shoots are.

Enjoy!!!

Back