WineXpert Argentine Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menerdari

Reaction score
Just bottled my Malbec and of course I had to taste what wouldn't fit in the bottles, about 1/2 cup. All I can say is WOW!!! I can't believe how good this taste already. The only change I made to kit instructions was to (mistakenly) add the kit oak blocks to the secondary and because of this added French oak, medium+, to the stabilized wine.
The plan is to bury the bottles in my cellar for about 2 years but I am afraid they may not last that long (must have will power)

When I made the WE SI Argentine Malbec, I, too, was super impressed at bottling time. I usually wait 18 mos. to start drinking, but I put that kit in the rotation at 1 year because of how good it was at bottling.

Yep Selection International, I can see I will be making this one again.
I do love Malbecs

When I made the WE SI Argentine Malbec, I, too, was super impressed at bottling time. I usually wait 18 mos. to start drinking, but I put that kit in the rotation at 1 year because of how good it was at bottling.

Paul,

Can you confirm if this kit is that good?

Paul,

Can you confirm if this kit is that good?

Unfortunately, Varis, I cannot in good conscience. What I wrote above is true. However, it did not live up to my expectations some time after bottling. Here is what I wrote about it in another post:

The WE Malbec is a bit disappointing, frankly. It is thin and a bit sour. It showed great promise at bottling, so I put it into rotation early, at one year. It is now 22 mos. old, and has not improved a great deal.

It is not a bad wine, but it is not as good (at least at this point) as, say, a $9 Bogle Merlot or a $8 Columbia Crest Cabernet.

Sorry, wish I had better news!

Geez, Paul, you really know how to spoil my morning! :)

I, too, am making the WE Selection International Malbec and at this point it seems a real winner but it is too early to determine how it will be in the end. If you have any notes, can you remember how long it was from bottling to when you opened and were disappointed? Is there anything that you feel I can do to avoid disappointment? At this point, my Malbec is very dark, has good body and a great taste. I want to avoid any problems if I can.

Geez, Paul, you really know how to spoil my morning! :)

Sorry!

I, too, am making the WE Selection International Malbec and at this point it seems a real winner but it is too early to determine how it will be in the end. If you have any notes, can you remember how long it was from bottling to when you opened and were disappointed?

I pitched yeast 12/14/2013, I used RP15 and 3.8 g Nutriferm yeast energizer. SG was 1.096 about 5 hours after adding grape pack. Added 7 g Nutriferm Advance at SG=1.072. I moved into secondary on 12/20/2013, and cleared on 1/6/2014. After clearing, I racked off the finings into bulk aging on 1/26/2014, and I added 1.5 g Tannin Riche at the same time. I bottled on 3/29/2014. It was very nice at bottling.

I opened the first “official” bottle on 1/16/2015. Verbatim, my notes say “First bottle — Very passable! Smooth, fruity, no KT, a little green, but very nice.”

I still think it is quite passable. Just has a little sour note that is a bit off-putting.

Is there anything that you feel I can do to avoid disappointment?

I suppose you can lower your expectations!! :) :)

Argentina malbec

THE sour was the grape fpac entered into the wine (did it come with it?),if not the fruits acidity is what your tasting. WHY might I ask would you use a yeast energizer? in a kit?:n

also to much chemistry involved, this plays tricks on the wines base and trough's off the manufactures intent. Just my thoughts.:n

THE sour was the grape fpac entered into the wine (did it come with it?),if not the fruits acidity is what your tasting.

Of course the grape pack came with the kit.

WHY might I ask would you use a yeast energizer? in a kit?:n

Well, I no longer add these things. However, to answer your question, I added the yeast energizer & nutrient due to dire warnings I had read on winemakingtalk.com regarding the need to ensure that any yeasts that are more finicky than EC-1118 be well-supplied with nutrients.

Of course the grape pack came with the kit.

Well, I no longer add these things. However, to answer your question, I added the yeast energizer & nutrient due to dire warnings I had read on winemakingtalk.com regarding the need to ensure that any yeasts that are more finicky than EC-1118 be well-supplied with nutrients.

Paul,
Did you add any extra meta aside from what came with the kit?
I added 1/8 tsp
I am not sure adding energizer & nutrients would have changed long term bottle taste?
Not sure what effects adding tannin would have long term.
aside from the added meta I stuck to kit instructions (actually adding the extra meta was in them) guess I have to wait a couple years and see what I end up with :D

Paul,
Did you add any extra meta aside from what came with the kit?
I added 1/8 tsp
I am not sure adding energizer & nutrients would have changed long term bottle taste?
Not sure what effects adding tannin would have long term.
aside from the added meta I stuck to kit instructions (actually adding the extra meta was in them) guess I have to wait a couple years and see what I end up with :D

Yes. In addition to adding the sachet that came with the kit at clearing, I added 1/4 tsp before bottling.

I agree -- I do not think energizer and nutrients pose a risk for taste.

The added tannin is something I am a bit concerned about. However, Tannin Riche tastes damn fine all by itself! I don't think it is responsible for this problem.

Again, it is only a small problem. Let's hope the wine grows out of this phase!

I received this kit today mail order, the box was already open. Can someone describe what the content should be? I think it may be missing oak cubes.

I received this kit today mail order, the box was already open. Can someone describe what the content should be? I think it may be missing oak cubes.

I won't have access to my notes until Sunday. If you want to remind me to look (and no one answers before that), feel free to PM me then...

Good morning, all.

I'm going to kick off this kit either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm thinking of a little tweakery... possibly adding a cup of raisins to the primary to play nicely with the skins; maybe swapping out the yeast that comes with the kit (EC1118) for something else; maybe adding some tannin in the primary as well (though, with the heavy French oak chips going in the primary, the 'maybe' is a 'probably not' unless someone can convince me otherwise).

Started this yesterday - some raisins with the grape pack, but otherwise by the numbers. An hour or so after adding grapes skins and oak, the SG was around 1.10, so we pitched yeast and wrapped it with a brew belt (still chilly in the wine room.

Last edited:
Now 7 days later and we're floating at 0.995. So, I racked in to a glass carboy to let the lees drop and finish fermenting to zero.

A little taste - it's soft with light fruit. I was suprises. Figured it would have sharper edge to it. I don't typically drink Malbec so I don't have a reference point.

I like malbec. Argentine malbec can be very different depending on where it was grown. It also goes from light oak to tasting like a tree (and I like heavy oak) depending on the brand. I have a tweaked cheap fontana and a tweaked Chilean malbec in carboys for early drinking, and was going to give this a shot next and let it get some age on it. But I would like a reference point or close on a brand to make sure before I jump in. Any brand suggestions are welcome. And Sour Grapes has almost talked me out of trying this kit. Hope you have better luck Jim!

Back