WineXpert Argentine Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like malbec. Argentine malbec can be very different depending on where it was grown. It also goes from light oak to tasting like a tree (and I like heavy oak) depending on the brand. I have a tweaked cheap fontana and a tweaked Chilean malbec in carboys for early drinking, and was going to give this a shot next and let it get some age on it. But I would like a reference point or close on a brand to make sure before I jump in. Any brand suggestions are welcome. And Sour Grapes has almost talked me out of trying this kit. Hope you have better luck Jim!

This was not at the top of my list, but my brother really wanted it for his first kit. So, we'll get this going. Then the OVZ, followed by the Fourtitude.

In a racking frenzy yesterday, I accidentally racked and dosed the Malbec with three others. It got 3 weeks on the oak cubes. That's probably enough (I hope).

It gave up quite a bit of co2 this racking. Still planning an August bottling. So, maybe it'll get another racking or two before then.

Tasted this morning to gauge whether I should think about more tannin. Right now that answer is, no. It's pleasant, a little tannic, light oak with lots of berry and vanilla. I figure it should be very nice in about a year or so.

Somehow, I feel bad about that. I have another bottle due for drinking in 2 weeks. If I remember, I will post an update!

Hey Paul, did you ever get a chance to open up another bottle? I have this kit on deck waiting until I get to bottle a couple of batches, would be interested in your thoughts.

Latest posts

Back