Are we a bunch of overweight folks?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
dang, every morning I log on to find anywhere from 3 to 6 new threads hawking some kind of weight loss junk. Somebody trying to tell us something?

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Not necessarily trying to hint that that you are .. um.. hefty but if you tend to click on the bait even once then others who buy that information send out more of the bait intended to attract you. Get an ad blocker...

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not an ad. It’s a post in the forum. I’ve been deleting and banning them as soon as I see them and I’m sure that someone else is getting the rest since there’s usually only 3 or so each day when I log in

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The way I look at it is if the post has a link in the title it’s gone unless it’s from an established member

bstnh1

Reaction score
I get zero ads/spam on here. Not sure why. I use AdBlock Plus, but that wouldn't be blocking posts on here. I stay logged in - not sure if that makes a difference.

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
I get zero ads/spam on here. Not sure why. I use AdBlock Plus, but that wouldn't be blocking posts on here. I stay logged in - not sure if that makes a difference.
Yes, these spam are posts. Adblock has no control over such spam. You may not see them because @dralarms is tirelessly deleting them before you see them.

I saw one this morning, they look like this:

Selection_004.png

Last edited:

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They’re getting smarter, I’m seeing some that the forum software is missing.

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
They’re getting smarter, I’m seeing some that the forum software is missing.
It is a war of attrition.

You improve your software filtering.

The spammers improve ways around it.

The only real "solution" is human editing. I run a small forum. And no new user gets to post anything until approved. That stops all the spam eventually. Yes, the spammers keep trying, but eventually they learn it is a lost cause and move on. But it comes at a human time cost to approve all new user posts and topics, and reduces the forum's real time access for new users. But, quite frankly, most new users will tolerate the wait to get their first post or comment approved if done within 24 hours if informed at first signup that this wait will occur. They are not calling 911, only posting on a forum.

Latest posts