Are these corks gonna blow?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeboy

Reaction score
I bottled these 2 weeks ago , just from a 4 week kit . Everyone including myself likes the wine, but when I went downstairs to look , I noticed the corks kinda are sticking out . I had to use a hand corker, and they didn't really go in like the floor corker i borrowed. They kinda mushroomed ...... Pic is from ipad with no flash , sorry .

image.jpg

Leeboy said:
I bottled these 2 weeks ago , just from a 4 week kit . Everyone including myself likes the wine, but when I went downstairs to look , I noticed the corks kinda are sticking out . I had to use a hand corker, and they didn't really go in like the floor corker i borrowed. They kinda mushroomed ...... Pic is from ipad with no flash , sorry .

Is the stick out any different than when you bottled?

Try marking a line on the lowest part of the corks and see what it does over a few days.. Another thing you could try is placing a bottle in bath of warm water outside for a good bit of time and see if that has any affect on the position of the cork.

Looks like you have some screw top bottles there as well. Be careful corking those as the glass is thinner at the theads and could break causing injury or lost wine due to glass shards or both...

I have a few screw top bottles I was thinking about reusing. I attempted to use one as the overflow bottle in the AllInOne pump and noticed that the stopper did not fit. I only mention this to point out that those bottles MAY have a larger opening and your corks may not be sealed as tight. Something to consider.
I do no plan to use these particular bottles with corks for this reason (and because of the thinness of the glass as was mentioned).

Bottled after only 4 weeks? I agree with Seth, draw a line on the side of the cork at the level of your bottle-lip and see if that changes.

Don't risk trying to cork screw-top bottles. It is just not worth the risk.

In my limited experience with a hand corker, #9 corks going into a cork finish bottle will not always go in all the way. I have no experience with a hand corker and screw cap bottles. However, as pointed out by FABulousWines, many of them have a slightly wider opening than a cork bottle, so I'm a bit surprised to see the corks sticking out of those.

So here are my questions....which kit? Did you follow the instructions, or did you do something different? What specific gravities and time frames did you record? Did you add the potassium sorbate? Did you sweeten the wine post fermentation? What temperature was the wine when it was bottled, and what temperature is it now?

Steve

One thing we found using a floor corker if the bottles are just a little bit too full, the cork will not go all the way down. Easy fix, remove the cork take a swig and re-cork with a new cork. LOL Hard to see how much wine is in the darker colored bottles so it is a mistake that goes unnoticed until the cork will not go all the way in.

The bottles are too full. This has happened to me several times with a hand corker. Easy fix, pour a little out of each and recork.

Well, to me these look normal for a hand corker with the different types of bottles you have there (some screw tops, some cork tops) - some are protruding slightly, some are countersunk a bit, some appear flush. Your wine level is not shown but it should be somewhere between a half inch and an inch below the cork.
A couple of observations - with these types of corks, store your bottles on their sides or upside down so they don't dry out; remove the old foil tops before corking to make sure the bottle top is clean.

Was this the double level hand corker? I've found that once you get everything lined up and ready to go you have to finish with a good firm push. If you wimp out and go too slow you can end up with corks sticking up. The first few bottles I did look a lot like your photos, so, just saying.

Keep them cool and in a place that will not get you sent to the dog house if they do burst. :) If you open one and it is fizzy than it is probably still working or it did not get degassed enough before bottling. I never bottle that soon and normally rack two to three more times after stabilization bulk aging with an airlock for three to six months.

I followed the instructions to a "T" and de gassed like crazy , stirring multiple times per day. I even gave it a 10 day extra rack before bottling it . Maybe it is the crazy corker....And thanks for the twist cap advice, wont be using them anymore

I've found if you firmly seat the cork in the double lever corker with your thumb and make sure the rod hits the center of the cork it will insert properly .. Most times.

Duct tape and a hammer. Sinks em every time! The duct tape pad keeps the hand corker from cracking when you hit it with the hammer. (Yes, I know. My bottling methods are very refined.)

When you open one do you get a psst when you open one? IF you do then it doesnt matter what your corks are doing this second because soon they will be shooting to the ceiling. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back