aquarium silicone and glass carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprasteve

Reaction score
I just picked up two 5 gallon carboys (for free
smiley4.gif
), but they have had a small hole drilled into the side which was then filled with aquarium silicone to seal it. It doesn't leak, i know that much for sure. I'm not sure if this was originally a racking spout or what but the price was certainly right. Anyways, my question is will the silicon affect the flavor of the wine at all? If so would keeping them full of water for a couple months help absorb any of the off flavor that could result? Usually silicone ispretty inert butI have no experience with it in this use. I figure worst case scenario I can use them for an intermediate racking container or for beer (since it won't be in there as long). I usually store my empty carboys with metabisulfide and a little water in them, then with an airlock on top, so I'm not so worried about it being a source of contamination in that regard. Thanks!

Are these Better Bottles? If so, remove the silicone and order the raking attachment that goes in them. It is a bit pricey but nice and you saved the price of the carboy.

they're not better bottles, just the standard ole glass ones. I think it might have been an attempt at making a racking spigot that didn't work out so well, but that's just my guess. I don't know of a good way of attaching a spigot to the hole without worrying about leaking, so I'm fine with them the way they are, just not sure how they might affect what's put into them

Edit: Peter, it is clear,thanks!

Silicone, once cured, is very inert. The clear silicone is acceptable. White silicone contains a pesticide to inhibit mould growth. If it is clear silicone like what is used on aquariums you should be fine using them as is.

Latest posts

Back