Appliances

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to through this out for some input from the forum. If you were going to buy (guess who is) a new refrigerator and new gas range, what brand would you buy?

I currently have a JennAir range and a KitchenAid refrigerator, so those are two that are off my list from the start. We paid a premium for both of them when we bought them, believing Madison Avenue that they were better. They are not. I currently light my burners on the JennAir with a BIC lighter and the door gaskets of the refrigerator have cracked and are no longer performing as designed. We get condensation around the ice maker and the ice maker is under performing.

My thought is to buy a middle of the road model from one of the high-volume manufacturers, such as GE or Whirlpool (Yes, I know that Whirlpool makes both JennAir and KitchenAid, and the Whirlpool brand is probably not much better, but it costs less.) Has anyone had experience with any of the following: LG, Bosch or Samsung? We have a Samsung washer and dryer and have been very pleased with it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just want to through this out for some input from the forum. If you were going to buy (guess who is) a new refrigerator and new gas range, what brand would you buy?

I currently have a JennAir range and a KitchenAid refrigerator, so those are two that are off my list from the start. We paid a premium for both of them when we bought them, believing Madison Avenue that they were better. They are not. I currently light my burners on the JennAir with a BIC lighter and the door gaskets of the refrigerator have cracked and are no longer performing as designed. We get condensation around the ice maker and the ice maker is under performing.

My thought is to buy a middle of the road model from one of the high-volume manufacturers, such as GE or Whirlpool (Yes, I know that Whirlpool makes both JennAir and KitchenAid, and the Whirlpool brand is probably not much better, but it costs less.) Has anyone had experience with any of the following: LG, Bosch or Samsung? We have a Samsung washer and dryer and have been very pleased with it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
exactly less is more

I currently have an LG fridge which I am very happy with. It's only a year old so I can't speak to longevity, but no problems so far. I have had them in the past as well and I think it is a pretty solid brand. I have an ice maker in door and freezer, both work well. Air and water filters work well. Digital controls always make me leery, but it has wifi diagnostics so LG can just connect to it if there is an issue.

Samsung.. I have their soundbar, I love it. I have had their printers and phones and both have been mediocre to downright disappointing. I think the old dishwasher was Samsung... near silent, but that was the one where the controls were buggering up from the moisture when you opened it. Samsung was on the last resort list for a while, but I just laughed out loud because my wall oven is a Samsung and I was going to say I still avoid them... Guess all is forgiven.

The oven is actually great other than being WAY over the top with digital flair. Digital knobs, touch screen, etc. only a matter of time till something gives. It's the only full size oven you can get with a steam option. The warming option is used a lot, and the dehydrate setting works great. I made an oven full of jerky in a few hours, and I have dried herbs, as well. So far I REALLY like it, but I never do warranty and I got 5 year extended on this one. They wouldn't lower the price any further, but could throw that in at no additional cost.

Bosch.... well, that's what we got for a dishwasher... Can you tell I was buying all my appliances during 2021 when you took what was available?

I was also going to get the Bosch speed oven, but I couldn't find one for over 6 months and gave up.

The dishwasher is also great. I would jump up a model and go quieter if I were to do it again. I think it is only 48 db, but we sit near it after meals and silent is totally worth the extra money..

The wine fridge is whirlpool and it's also working great. The washer and dryer are Electrolux and both are great. And last but not least the hood fan is Kitchenaid. 600 CFM and I am really impressed with it. I was REALLY hesitant on this one, but I couldn't finish the kitchen and it was all that was available. I was actually expecting to replace it within months when something better came along, but as I said I like it. Quiet and efficient.

Maybe I just got lucky, but no problems with any of them in the first year and function of everything is great. This day and age I think it's all a bit of a roll of the dice. If you don't have problems with the electronics in the first 3 months you are going to be good for quite a while, maybe even 10+ years.

Last edited:
I just ordered a Capital Culinarian. I have wanted a Bluestar for over 15 years, but was waiting on the house build. The Capital won out with high BTU on every burner for no additional cost, and it looks easier to clean...

This is certainly extravagant, and I don't have it, yet, so I can't comment on performance. I am hoping this is a case where I get what I paid for.

Just as something to consider, these guys offer an 'acceptable' product. It cooks well. Nothing fancy. Highest BTU on mine was 9k, but they are made for off grid solar homes and use electric ignition. Power goes out and you can still light both the stove and oven with a lighter. To my knowledge everything else now has a glow bar and ovens won't function without power.

https://www.premierrange.com/models/pro-series.html?p=2

I will sell you the old refrigerator my ex and I bought when my oldest daughter was born. She turns 39 next week. It keeps the cold very well, ice maker works great. I forget what brand it is. I've bought two other refrigerators since then. The first had issues with the ice maker from day one, lasted five years, before my current wife said it had to go. The newer one is a Frigidaire, seems to be working at least ok, but the icemaker is really slow.

I will sell you the old refrigerator my ex and I bought when my oldest daughter was born. She turns 39 next week. It keeps the cold very well, ice maker works great. I forget what brand it is. I've bought two other refrigerators since then. The first had issues with the ice maker from day one, lasted five years, before my current wife said it had to go. The newer one is a Frigidaire, seems to be working at least ok, but the icemaker is really slow.
I know what you mean. We have a Frigidaire in the basement that we bought in 1989 and it is still going strong. I took the ice maker out of it for more freezer space but other than that it works like new.

I visit Habitat For Humanity a lot. I don't have a problem buying used when I can save a boatload of money.

I bought a built in double oven that looked brand new for a 100 bucks. Thought I'd have to spend $1500+ for new. I needed to enlarge the cabinet opening 1/2 inch.

My current ongoing project is to replace a bunch of doors with French doors. Slow going but I haven't paid over $25 for a door yet.

If you see something there buy it or put it on hold. Things go fast.

Very happy with our Samsung fridge with french doors, bottom freezer and ice in the door (which was a first at the time). Purchased in 2009 and going strong without any issues.

1655073487318.jpeg

Purchased an LG electric electric range in late 2016. It looked great and had 4.5 out of 5 stars but the oven was a literal POS. Horrible design as the (only) heating element for the oven was in the back inside wall of the oven and not the bottom of the oven. It just would not cook anything evenly to save its life. Stay away from them as the gas version has the exact same design. Would blow its internal fuse every time I would bake bread....

1655073410203.jpeg

Replaced the LG range with a GE Cafe' (gas) and love it. I believe the lower GE models use pretty much the same basic design elements so a cheaper GE version that looks the same internally is more than likely the same for the most part. Sorta like Toyota vs Lexus automobile IMHO. The Cafe' has wifi built in so you can preheat the oven if you wish from your phone or tablet while you stay warm and cozy in bed in the Winter.......

Over the moon happy with the Cafe' so far and I have used the oven quite extensively in the last year we have had it.

1655074177624.jpeg

Very happy with our Samsung fridge with french doors, bottom freezer and ice in the door (which was a first at the time). Purchased in 2009 and going strong without any issues.

View attachment 89480

Purchased an LG electric electric range in late 2016. It looked great and had 4.5 out of 5 stars but the oven was a literal POS. Horrible design as the (only) heating element for the oven was in the back inside wall of the oven and not the bottom of the oven. It just would not cook anything evenly to save its life. Stay away from them as the gas version has the exact same design. Would blow its internal fuse every time I would bake bread....

View attachment 89479

Replaced the LG range with a GE Cafe' (gas) and love it. I believe the lower GE models use pretty much the same basic design elements so a cheaper GE version that looks the same internally is more than likely the same for the most part. Sorta like Toyota vs Lexus automobile IMHO. The Cafe' has wifi built in so you can preheat the oven if you wish from your phone or tablet while you stay warm and cozy in bed in the Winter.......

Over the moon happy with the Cafe' so far and I have used the oven quite extensively in the last year we have had it.

View attachment 89481
Thanks, Mike. Is the GE range 30" or 36" width? I would love to have a 36" but I am limited by the countertop, and I don't want to get into changing the granite.

I visit Habitat For Humanity a lot. I don't have a problem buying used when I can save a boatload of money.

I bought a built in double oven that looked brand new for a 100 bucks. Thought I'd have to spend $1500+ for new. I needed to enlarge the cabinet opening 1/2 inch.

My current ongoing project is to replace a bunch of doors with French doors. Slow going but I haven't paid over $25 for a door yet.

If you see something there buy it or put it on hold. Things go fast.
Thanks, Dave.

Depending how handy you are its easy to modify cabinets. I had a 30 inch cooktop, I just pushed the cabinets out and cut the counter square to accommodate the rangetop. You can see the large panels on the side of the middle cabinet. That's all I had to do to make up for the space. I pushed the uppers over too and had to fill in some tiles, but really not much involved.. depending on your design, of course. I was lucky not being limited by a wall on the rightIMG_20220612_183801.jpg

Depending how handy you are its easy to modify cabinets. I had a 30 inch cooktop, I just pushed the cabinets out and cut the counter square to accommodate the rangetop. You can see the large panels on the side of the middle cabinet. That's all I had to do to make up for the space. I pushed the uppers over too and had to fill in some tiles, but really not much involved.. depending on your design, of course. I was lucky not being limited by a wall on the rightView attachment 89485
Thanks, Vinny. I have a "landlocked" problem with my range. I suppose I could get two narrower side cabinets and cut out 3" on each side of the granite, but that is way too much surgery for me. A 30" will do us fine because, in addition, we have an electric wall oven/microwave unit. Here are the two culprits. 100_1970.JPG100_1971.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not, I repeat, do not buy a Samsung fridge. I've had 4 or 5 over the years and they used to good - not anymore. Last 2 would completely freeze up after a few months and then I'd have to melt the ice out. Finally punted the last one a month ago. I replaced both of them with GE french door units. Water on the inside and ice in the freezer where it belongs. Got good deals on both through Costco.

I just ordered a Capital Culinarian. I have wanted a Bluestar for over 15 years, but was waiting on the house build. The Capital won out with high BTU on every burner for no additional cost, and it looks easier to clean...

This is certainly extravagant, and I don't have it, yet, so I can't comment on performance. I am hoping this is a case where I get what I paid for.
They are a beast, we are on our 2nd. Left the 1st one with the old house and got a 48" for the new. Only complaint I have is that the ovens now have temp sensors and at a specified temp a noisy fan kicks on. Supposedly to 'protect' the electronics, which is BS. However, it does cook really well and yep, those 24K BTU burners do get hot! You should become familiar with setting the A/F mix as most installers are now idiots.

They are a beast, we are on our 2nd. Left the 1st one with the old house and got a 48" for the new. Only complaint I have is that the ovens now have temp sensors and at a specified temp a noisy fan kicks on. Supposedly to 'protect' the electronics, which is BS. However, it does cook really well and yep, those 24K BTU burners do get hot! You should become familiar with setting the A/F mix as most installers are now idiots.
Thank you for this. The reviews on both Bluestar and Capital are very mixed. Most complaints are with the ovens though and I got a rangetop so I am pretty confident I shouldn't have too many issues.

If you are on your second then I am sure I will be as pleased with it as I expect.

My wall oven has the same issue, as soon as you turn it on the fan kicks on. There is also a loud solenoid switch that you can hear every few seconds when it is switching to keep the temperature steady. I have learned to block it out, but nothing is passive or quiet anymore.

@Rocky That's a nice set up you have. I have an empty space above my wall oven. Is that a microwave or oven above yours? I don't microwave, so I am still trying to figure out what to do with the space.

I feel you may have missed my post above. I don't have any long term experience other than with LG fridges being reliable, but I bought a lot of name brands last year and I haven't had a problem with any.

The only complaint is the whirlpool wine fridge is pretty loud, and it is 2 zone, but raising and lowering the temp in one zone affects the other which I didn't realize until I installed it. For what it is, it seems overpriced based on the features and quality.. but my wine is chilled, so I have bigger issues.

Back