Apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javila

Reaction score
Got a stubborn wine here, just doesn't want to stop fermenting??

Started this back in January using receipe from " Home winemakers companion book". ( 5 gallons ) Fermentation, rackings and settling went well. (sg .998) In May after wine had been sitting for 2 months in cellar, no more bubbles at all, very clear, I went ahead and filtered using 3 #2 filters into new carboy, topped off with a quart of fresh apple juice. Put back in cellar,... after 2 weeks I brought back upstairs for bottling noticed there was a thin film of residue and bubbles starteds to appear. Like fermentation has started again even after adding 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabisulfite prior to settling/fining. I left it alone for 3 weeks, very little bubbles now, tasted good, filtered again using 3 #3 filters, added 1/4 tsp again of p.metabisulfite , topped off with about 1 quart of fresh apple juice, put back in cellar 2 weeks ago and notice today bubbles have started again.
summary; wine tastes great, is very clear, ph 3.4, sg now 1.000, temp in cellar 66 degrees and aroma is fruity.
questions;
1) does apple wine do mlf?
2) is 1/4 tsp of meta enough?
Just a little saturated here.
joe

Last edited:
Joe 1/4 tsp is enough. Your sg only went up a bit because you added an f-pack. Did you add any sorbate? Was the wine actually bubbling a bubble every few minutes or just showing pressure?

Joe 1/4 tsp is enough. Your sg only went up a bit because you added an f-pack. Did you add any sorbate? Was the wine actually bubbling a bubble every few minutes or just showing pressure?

No sorbate, just the meta. wine was bubbling a bubble every few minutes. I did noticed everytime I would rack and filter I would get lots of foam. Used a drill to get rid of, just didnt want to continue and introduce too much O2.

Latest posts

Back