apple wine from cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchoate

Reaction score
When I made wine before using cider I was told out had to be unpasteurized. Now I am seeing people use pasteurized cider. An I correct in assuming this ? If so how do I undo the pasturization?

Pasteurization - "The process of pasteurization was named after Louis Pasteur who discovered that spoilage organisms could be inactivated in wine by applying heat at temperatures below its boiling point. The process was later applied to milk and remains the most important operation in the processing of milk."

It cannot be undone, but all it means is that it was heated. We heat juice all the time when adding sugar. I wouldn't be concerned by it. I started 6 gallons of apple wine from pasteurized 100% organic apple juice and it is fermenting like gangbusters. My kids said it is the most potent batch yet. I think you are in good shape. Just don't buy cider with sorbates or other preservatives.

Keep us posted and good luck.

I use unpastuerized because I'm able to buy it. Most folks are not able to get it. Either one will work fine. This year due to the frosts, I could not buy any.

I've made Apple wine from cider many times, I add a few ripe bananas per gallon in a strainer bag for body, and a can of concentrated white grape juice and a cup of golden raisins, it sits for about 6 months, very nice, like a nice white with apple notes.

Unpasteurized juice can be dicey if the orchard uses drops, as nasty organisms can ruin your day, pasteurized without sorbates are fine, some have vitamin C added, not a problem either.

BTW, peptic enzyme is a must if you want clear wine.

Last edited:
Well crud. Guess I have to buy another gallon, bought cider with potassium sorbate added.

Last cider I got was directly out of the press, no pasteurization, no sorbate. The farmer is not allowed to sell it in his retail store that way, but he invited me to his barn to get the gallon I wanted. As a friendly gesture, I "bought" a gallon of his retail cider, I just forgot to pick it up at the store.

Before I moved I had a just such a farmer. It got to the point that I would call and tell him how much I needed and he would have it ready for me . And would give me one heck of a discount , as long as I promised to give him a bottle our 3 lol

Latest posts

Back