Apple Wine Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepaintedman

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've brewed a few batches of beer and quite a few batches of cider.

I went super simple and just used (pastuerized) apple juice, nutrients, and champagne yeast.

After two weeks, its been done fermenting for a few days, but is super strong and hazy.

The strength of the taste of alcohol should mellow with bottling and aging. What do you all suggest about the haze? Pectic enzyme? Campden? Both?

Thanks!

Pectic enzime helps but I'm not sure if it can be added after fermentation. I have always added it before adding my yeast starter.

Pectic enzyme will work before or after a fermentation, just not during.

It can be added after fermentation but this wine is only 2 weeks old? Let it sit, it should clear on it's own, it is very young at this point to be clear. Did you take any hydrometer readings? You should so you know what is going on with your wine.

It can be added after fermentation but this wine is only 2 weeks old? Let it sit, it should clear on it's own, it is very young at this point to be clear. Did you take any hydrometer readings? You should so you know what is going on with your wine.

I haven't. My hydro broke and I've been lazy. Maybe I'll suck it up and go grab one.

I want to bottle it for Christmas. How long does it need to be bottled prior to drinking? I usually try to let my beer or cider sit in bottles for at least 2 weeks.

Needs about a month to get over bottle shock.. Wont be as good at this Christmas as it would be next Christmas..

Needs about a month to get over bottle shock.. Wont be as good at this Christmas as it would be next Christmas..

K. Well, I intend to give it as gifts. I'll give folks a caveat for letting it age if possible.

A month means that I should bottle it by the end of the month. I'll give it a bit of time to clear up on it's own before I add anything.

If you want this to be bottled by Christmas then when getting the hydrometer youd better get pectic enzyme and SuperKleer Kc as youll need it. Apple wine can be a real bear to clear usually. Apple is also notorious for pectin haze which the enzyme you will get will be needed as fining agents wont fix that.

it also should age for a year for the full flavor of the apple to come out.

My apple wine looked like it had it was half milk after sitting for a month or so after fermentation. Pectic enzyme worked Great. I have it in the laundry room and the clearing speeds up when it heats from doing laundry.

I did exactly the same thing, and it woulnd't clear either. Pectic fixed it in about 2 weeks. S-K did nothing for it either FYI. But Mine was started in August and it's still way to young to drink, I'm bottled last night, but this is going back for next year's holidays.

Latest posts

Back