Apple Pressing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll

This is the first time that I tried my hand at making apple cider. This is the press that I won last year from Happy Valley Ranch Homesteader Cider Press. So, bought a box of apples (red delicious/golden delicious split) and got a little over 1 gallon of cider. Did the regular way of hand cranking and it was kinda fun - gonna be motorized before long. It would not be cost effective if one had to buy the apples but if you had them around it would be great.

The taste is super!!! Cannot get any fresher!!!

Going to take the press and stuff to our church on the 31st for Harvest Fair. Will let the little kids and big kids make some cider. Should be fun for all hopefully. I will probably try and get some apples donated this week and make up a few gallons to get ahead of the game.

Next time I am going to try different blends of apples - red and golden delicious - granny smith - fuji - and a pippen or arkansas black if i can find them. This might kick it up a notch in flavor so will see.

20101023_194628_phillip_2010_00.jpg

20101023_194700_phillip_2010_00.jpg

20101023_194728_phillip_2010_00.jpg

20101023_194802_phillip_2010_01.jpg

I used to take one to the Farmer's Market for special fall occasions. We would let the kids crank the grinder and then try some of the fresh pressed cider. They loved it. Now because of the salmonella scares, all cider has to be pasteurized so we can't do that anymore. This is in NY and I'm not sure of other areas laws. It took a lot of fun out of fall.

To nake it simple to change between motor and hand crank, I set it up with a heavy motor mounted on a 2x10 2 foot plank. If I want hand crank, I just move the motor away and put the crank pulley on. If I want to use the motor, I take the crank pulley off, put a belt pulley on and set the motor up on a couple concrete blocks. I use a belt just a bit short so it keeps the motor off the blocks (by the way mount the motor more towards one end so the plank acts like a fulcrum). The weight of the motor tensions the belt and I am all set to run it. When I am done with it, I just move the motr and blocks out of the way.

A permanent solution can be done a lot neater and be more permanent, but if you are going to switch back and forth a lot, this temporary method works well. Just don't let kids around the motorized setup.

Rick,
Any fresh cider is good, but MacIntosh apples makemy favorite.
With fresh warm donuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got done looking Rick and I can't find any pictures of the setup. It has been several years since I last made cider with it so everything is buried away in storage. Just find the set screw that holds your crank pulley on and measure the shaft. You can go to Tractor Supply or similar farm store and get a pulley about 8 inches in diameter. You probably have a motor that you can use of a half horse or more. I'm pretty sure you can easily find a way to hook them together. I chose temporary, but you could attach it a bit more permanently. Then you could just remove the upper pulley and put the handle crank on when you want the kids to operate it.

It is good to see this and I do feel like making it. I am very fond of
different beverages and apple cider is looking awesome. The way it is
getting crushed seems like very anxious. I never had Cidar but heard lot
about this and will definitely have it once.

Latest posts

Back