Apple Cider Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on my next batch of Country Apple. I picked up 21 gallons of unpasturized fresh cider. Added 6 pounds of cranberries, 4 pounds of golden raisens and 21 pounds of sugar.

IMAG0137.jpg

I see you have a dark colored primary fermenter is it rubbermaid or some other brand?

You can see the label on it. It is a Rubbermaid 32 gallon Brute made of Food Safe Plastic and thousands are used every year by small wineries. AThey are only good for primaries though.

That sounds like it will be very nice Dan. How is the job doing? Is it slacking up a bit yet?

Thanks Rich. Still working 12-13 hour days 6 days a week. I think it'll last till about the second week of November. We're pressing anywhere from 6 to 24 tons a day. I had no idea how many wineries we supply juice and finished wine to. The crushing and pressing experience has been great, I look forward to after the harvest season to learning more of the science of it all.

You can see the label on it. It is a Rubbermaid 32 gallon Brute made of Food Safe Plastic and thousands are used every year by small wineries. AThey are only good for primaries though.

How the heck could you read the 32 gallons. I still don't see it. LOL I bought a 21 gallon for the crab apples and it was just barely big enough so I decided to clean this one up and use it for the cider.

Lloyd you can get these at Home Depot for about $1.00 per gallon (just to give you a ball park on price). They even sell a dolly that attaches to the bottom of the can if you want it. I just buy the furniture dollies at Harbor Freight on sale for about $11.00.

In addition to the above recipe i did add;
5 tsp of tannin
12 drops of zyme-o-clear (enzyme)
5 tsp super ferment
ascorbic acid
I will 4 packs of 1118 yeast tomorrow

I did not add any acid blend as I am going to blend in some of my crapapple into it. The crabapple is so high in acid it would make a car battery turn around and take a dirt road.

Dan - That's similar to a batch I have going. 6g apple juice plus 6# craisins. I have high hopes for this one - can't wait until it clears up a bit.

For kicks I added med toast American oak to the primary ...

Bob that sounds good. I like the idea of you experimenting as I am. It will be interesting to see how the oak turns out. How much did you add. I usuall add 2 cloves per 6 gallons during aging but the oak might be a better choice. :a1

Dan:
Perfec timing, we just returned from vacation at Hilton Head & I really enjoyed your Country Apple that we shared.... I plan on going out to the local farm (Trax Farm) & pick up some of their fresh juice. I think they charge a little over $3.00 per gallon. Guess I have to get the large primary bucket from Home DEpot to keep pace with you.... Keep me posted on your progress with the country apple. Fortunately I have several empty carboys needing something to fill them. I still want to take a trip to Luva Bella to see what they have left in the way of buckets of juice, my Zinfandel & Pinot Noir have been in the carboys for over 6 mos now.

Al

Al, I just talked to a friend who told me he just came back from there with 10 buckets. I guess they still have a bit around. I will keep this thread going on my progress and hope anyone else making it will also post their recipe's, pictures and progress on here.

2 cups chips to 6g. Sounds like a lot, but it was only in the wine for about 6 days

Running wolf, why the raisens if you don't mind me asking? I am considering making apple wine myself for the first time. Where can one get 4lbs of raisens?

Some larger stores sell large bags of "generic" type raisins... around here it's Eileen's brand. They also have choc chips, nuts, etc in that brand.

Debbie

Started my 18 gal of fresh apple cider from Trax Farm in 4 seperate buckets. In addtion to the standard chems (pectic enzyme, camben, tannin, nutrient bentonite ,etc) I added split into the 4 primaries with the juice - 4 lb raisens, 4 lb craisens, 3 cloves in each & 1 tsp ground cinnamon in each. Will check when dry & prior to placing into the carboys if it needs any additional cloves or stick cinnamon. Don't want to over power it. Will eventually back-sweeten to medium about 1.010-1.012.
Added rehydrated yeast today, Lavin 1122 as I had 4 packets of it. This evening it looks like its starting to work, Should be very tastey next fall!!

Al

Racked my cider tonight. SG was at 1.05 two days ago and last night I added 20 grams of super ferment and some heat. 24 hours later it was down to 1.01. I ended up with about 23.5 gallons going into the secondaries.

IMAG0147.jpg

Latest posts

Back