Apple Cider Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Durring the racking I removed the 3 cloves, cinnamon stix & the ginger & what ever orange zest was left. Will just let it try to clear for a month or two. Then will backsweeten it somewhere around medium 1.010 depending on how it tastes.

Al

Dan:

You are right, I shouldn't wait....will do this after dinner tonight. Actually
I probably should backsweeten also but low on sugar. Will pick up some & Apple concentrate tomorrow for additional flavor & sweetness. After a few days will see what the hydrometer says before I continue.....

al

Well, my one 5 gal carboy of Apple Cider Wine is still very darkish black after 4 days! The other two are the typical brownish tan. All racked, stabalized & seasonings removed. All had the same Orange zest, cinnamon, cloves & ginger?? The only difference was this carboy had more head space at the top than the other two. Just don't like the black color for Apple Wine, is it spoiled, should it be tossed down the drain??? Not sure what to do on this carboy........ just know it shouldn't be black... :m :s :po Any ideas???

Al

Well, my one 5 gal carboy of Apple Cider Wine is still very darkish black after 4 days! The other two are the typical brownish tan. All racked, stabalized & seasonings removed. All had the same Orange zest, cinnamon, cloves & ginger?? The only difference was this carboy had more head space at the top than the other two. Just don't like the black color for Apple Wine, is it spoiled, should it be tossed down the drain??? Not sure what to do on this carboy........ just know it shouldn't be black... :m :s :po Any ideas???

Al

I've been playing around with hard cider (alcohol % around 5-6%) lately. I was on another forum when someone posted pictures of a carboy of cider with a layer of black at the top. If I remember right, the black kept spreading. Also, there was too much headspace in his carboy, as well. If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I do, the consensus was that the extra headspace lead to oxygenation which changed the color. I think the person was suggested to very carefully rack from under the "black" in his to a smaller carboy. If the black in yours doesn't fill the entire bottle, I'd try that. If it does, I'd probably wait and see. Given your extra space, I would think that could be a likely suspect.

How long does secondary fermentation take? I have been in secondary fermentation for about 8 wks, is that normal? Thanks

How long does secondary fermentation take? I have been in secondary fermentation for about 8 wks, is that normal? Thanks

dsoares, there is no way anyone can answer this question without more information. What was your sg when you racked from fermenter to secondary? What is your sg now? What are you trying to accomplish during the secondary?

If your wine has reached .992 you are probably finished. If your wine is below 1.0 and it has been there for a week you are probably finished. I rarely have my wine in a secondary more than 1-3 weeks. The exception is when I am trying to infuse a flavor into it during the secondary, I may leave it in there for up to 30 days.

Runningwolf, my SG now is 1.050, beforehand, it was 1.100. I was hoping it would go down closer to 1.000, that's why I had left it longer in secondary. What do you think? Is 1.050 still high? This is my first time with apple cider wine. I have made red and white wines and never ran into any issues, alwasy went down to 1.000 no problem. The wine is 55 degrees (roughly). Thanks for your input.

Hello, My apple cider wine is still at 1.050 SG, maintaining at 60-55 degree, I have racked it once since seconadry fermentation. After doing a lot of research over the past week or so, I feel that this is still too high. I have read adding a little water may help. I am not sure what you think? Thanks for your help!

Bought liter bottles of Chitosan & Kieresol (Bulk Super Kleer, tip from Dan) & added to my Country Apple a week or so ago, re-racked & added some bottled apple juice. Used the extra hyperdermic needles from the kits I use to refill my printer ink for the Chitosan & Kieresol. marked the 1/4 oz & 1 oz so its easy to fil theml. Works great, Carboys are very clear, SG is at 1.004, but still not how I want it to taste as a spicy apple. Added 3 more large cinnamon stix & 4 cloves. Will leave them in until the next racking in a month or so. Eventually I will back sweeten & filter also....... Bottling time will be sometime this fall......

Al :db

I don't get the water part you asked about. Do you have a brew belt or can you get one. It is a well worth while investment. Dsoares that is quiet cool for fermenting. It absolutely could be done but here is my issue. I've only had one cork pop on me and it was my apple. After doing research and a lot of reading it's happened to several other people also with their apple. The funny thing is it was only one bottle out of over 40 that popped. A refermentation restarted. I checked other bottles and they were perfect. I still have a few bottles of the same batch from 2010 and still no issue. It was stabilized and filtered. Thats my concern about your apple wine.
I've had other juice quit at 1.01 or a bit less and went ahead and stabilized them and completed the process with no problems. Can you put this carboy in another room that's warmer. Maybe disguise it with a t-shirt or blanket and your wife will never know. LOL If you decide to move forward ensure your sorbate is not over 6 months old and meta more than 1 year old.

Added 3 more large cinnamon stix & 4 cloves. Will leave them in until the next racking in a month or so. Eventually I will back sweeten & filter also....... Bottling time will be sometime this fall......

Al :db

Al I hope you like really like cloves. If that is 4 cloves per 5 gallon carboy it will be very strong. Back sweetening will definately bring out a lot more flavor. I'm thinking mine will be ready for blending in about onother month and then bottling around April.

Dan;

You made me rethink, better to add little at a time, fortunately the cloves seem to float & I was able to pull two cloves out the top of each carboy so there will only be two. The cinnamon stix sank to the bottom so they will stay till the next racking. Will also start to backsweeten a little next racking, tasting as I proceed. Seems some wines I like at different sweetnesses, will have to see what momma likes also......

al

Dan, Thanks for the reply,I will move it upstairs. I'll throw a shirt on it, we'll see what my wife says. I think the issue could be the climate. we'll see how it goes. It's in a carboy right now. What is a brew belt? I do not have one. I suppose I could get 1.

Thanks Dan for your help! I have dressed my carboy up with blankets, going to see if that helps my SG go down

What is the temperature of the wine and what is the SG right now. I would have thought that you should be dry by now. :i

I have a gallon of cider wine that has just finished fermenting. There's not much flavor to it. Is it possible to add something to it at this point besides blending it with another wine? Any suggestions? Thanks!:

Latest posts

Back