Apple Cherry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Tomy, and I am a first time wine maker. I came to this forum seeking help and guidance, as the other forum I was at had over 170 hits but no help for my beginer questions. I am hopefull I will have better luck here
smiley1.gif
My 1st attempt is a Old Orchard frozen concentrate. Making a 1gallon batch I added 2 cups of sugar, water to a hydrometer reading of 1095, then activated Red Star Montrachet at 105f, added to the primary. Then I fitted a 3 piece airlock. This is the 3rd day and she is bubbling along nicely. Thanks for having me, this place looks like fun. Tomy

Tomy, welcome to the forum, the best out there.

Looks like you have everything down pretty good for a first timer. Looking over what you have, I can't say I would do anything different.

You do realize however that this your first wine....... and your on the road to living, breathing wine from this point forward.................

If you need help however, there are many here, ncluding myself that would highly recommend that you just make the wine and send it to us for consumption............ We don't want to see you have issues.......
smiley36.gif

Welcome Tomy! You will find you get help here at this forum. We try to help with even the most basic of questions. There is a wide variety of people here at all experience levels and we are all as helpful as we can be! I can only add one thing I would have changed in the beginning. You will find that when you are done with it you will like it so much that you will wish you had made a bigger batch.

Thanks so much guys, as to my wine making ability, I feel like Al Pacino driving the Ferrariin "Sent of A Woman" Thanks again! PS: I did add yeast nutrient to the recipe 1 tsp.
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Tomy

Did you add pectic enzyme. Apples and apple juice have a lot of pectin in there and this enzyme will rid the wine of a haze that really will not go away without this. I would definitely get this as it is needed in all country wines.v Welcome to the friendly forum where people reside here just to help and share experiences.

I have a gallon of the same thing almost finished.Its the first time I have used the apple cherry so I made a small batch to see if I like it.
I did mine a little different though,I used 4 cans of juice.It may be too flavorful,but we will see.I have been making the old orchard cranberry with 4 cans per gallon,and its really good,and has as much flavor as regular cranberry juice.I just bottled 3 gallons of it yesterday,and have 5 gallons of it fermenting.Everyone here will answer your questions,so dont be afraid to ask.
lockdude

Tomy, Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you here and hope that you always get a quick response to any question that you have. We like to answer questions as it makes us feel very smart!
smiley2.gif
And no question that you have about making wine should go unasked. That's why we're here.

Wow, thanks for the nice reception. Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought I could add the pectic enzyme at the 1st racking as I have to order it, and I can also add a can of apple cherry to taste after the ferminting has been completed if needed. PS: sorry for the spelling, I missed 3rd grade as that was the year Ma was running from the law.Edited by: Tomy

It would have been best to add the pectic enzyme at the beginning, but would probably help some if added at the first racking or at least as soon as you get it. It could clear fine without adding it at all. The worst that could happen if you don't is you MIGHT have a hazy wine, but it will taste just as good. Don't just add the other can of juice without adding K-Meta and Sorbate first to stabilize. Without adding them it will run the risk of refermenting once you add more sugar from the other can.

Thanks so much, my aim is to have three different kinds of wine for New Year Eve so I can get drunker than a Southern Baptist Preacher at a high school dance.

The SG for this batch should fall in around .998 or even a little lower. You will need to check a few days in a row to make sure it isnt dropping any more before adding the k-meta and k-sorbate to stabilize. These two ingredients together will prevent refermentation.

Tomy said:
Thanks so much, my aim is to have three different kinds of wine for New Year Eve so I can get drunker than a Southern Baptist Preacher at a high school dance.

smiley36.gif
It should be able to accomplish that goal, however by spring you will have some wine that also taste good! Patience and Aging...theres no replacement for those two ingredients. I have found around six months for flavors to start coming forward in these types of wine. Welcome aboard and have fun!

My other hobby besides playing guitar in a band is building model RC Airplanes. This one has a wing span of 7 feet and has a gas motor for power.
4star.jpg

mmmm.....Apple/cherry sounds really good. Welcome to the forum Tomy.
You won't have to go to another forum from now on!!!

Glad to have you!! Where do fly your planes?
Where do you call home?

Ramona

Very cool indeed! I've always thought it would be fun to fly one of those, but I'm not very good with video games so I don't think I'd be very good with one of those.
smiley5.gif

First of all thanks Wade for catching my rookie mistake of using wine in my air lock for my Apple Cherry wine, its all fixed now.Its tasting so good already and only a week old.

I live in Oregon, Illinois, a small farming community of 4100 people. My RC Airplane can fly easly for 20 min on 10oz of fuel, and I have a 12 oz gas tank installed. I am a member of a RC airplane club based in Rockford, Ill. and fly at the club field and other fields in the area. Any one that can drive a car can fly RC airplanes, of course the younger you are the easier to learn. I have 3 wines going at the moment, a Welch's Grape, Apple Cherry, & Pomegrannate. I also have the makings of a White Grape Raspberry. I need HELP this hobby is allready getting out of hand
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back