Anyone Using Security Camera's Around the House?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have been researching and wanting to buy something for at least a year now and have not been able to pull the trigger on anything. It seems like whatever system you are looking at be it wireless IP (cloud) camera's or the complete (wired) system with DVR recording there are just about as many good reviews as are bad reviews. Problems range from complaints about system setup, buggy software, poor picture quality be it day or night vision, poor support, online or phone. Lack of firmware updates for known problems.

I am looking for something simple, maybe need 4 camera's or so couple outside (front door, back door) couple inside (den, living room). Mostly want to see who is at the door when I am not expecting anyone (I dislike door to door peddlers) and I would love to peek in on the dogs every now and then to see what they are up to (via iPhone app or Web app) 2 way voice would be cool as I could tell the dogs to knock it off! LOL. Or the peddler we don't any any thank you.....

HD recording would mean a better PQ but I hear they use up a LOT of your bandwidth sending stuff to the cloud all the time and we don't have all that much bandwidth (5Mb DSL).....

Don't want to spend an arm and a leg but want a good/great system that works well. We don't live in a high crime area but more and more you see folks that have these systems in the big city and they seem to pay off big time every now and then so I would like to get one going that will work well and maybe be expandable down the road in case I want to add a couple more camera's in the future. I have a pitched rook attic so could run wired but, that said, it seems all the runs for camera's outside would go to the eaves making it pretty (not) fun to crawl over to the edge on your hands, knees, stomach all the while trying NOT to fall through the ceiling! :ts

Any help with the decision making process would be very much appreciated!

Yes I do, we just put them in right before Easter. We can have up to 8 cameras, we currently have 6. We have on that shoots down the driveway, one on the driveway where we all park and that includes seeing the detached garage as well, another one on the basement door, one shooting down the front porch which takes in the front door and both bedroom windows, one inside facing the front door and anther one facing the basement door. We still need one for the patio door. I can't remember the name but when I go home, I'll let you know, it is one that records to a dvr. There is an app for the iphone so you can remote in, I haven't had time to get that working. Clarity seems pretty good, night is not that great but the ones inside seem to be better clarity in the dark than the ones outside and no voice.

Don't you be scaring those sweethearts with 2 way voice!

LOL, right now Ellie is in the crate during the day so she can't get into no trouble. Gus is pretty darn fantastic (now) that he is a year. He hangs out next to Ellie and they keep each other company while we are at work. We both work close enough to come home at lunch to give Ellie a nice break.

Sounds like you have a wired one. Love to know the Make/Model when you get a chance. Hopefully others will chime in on Wireless IP/Cloud Versions but seems like the Wired ones give you less problems and more bang for the buck.

This Q-See from Costco is looking pretty good for only $499. 4 indoor and 4 outdoor all 720p HD. Has apps for viewing online but no 2-way sound.

350-865576-847__1.jpg

This Q-See from Costco is looking pretty good for only $499. 4 indoor and 4 outdoor all 720p HD. Has apps for viewing online but no 2-way sound.

350-865576-847__1.jpg

The place my wife works is a small biz and uses this. No worries that I have heard about.

For the peddlers- I disconnected my doorbell during the last election and never hooked it back up. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I've often thought about setting up some cameras around the house. We have a fairly quiet neighborhood but one can never be to cautious. My problem with a wired system is the wires. With a home built in 1903, I really don't want wires exposed and having most of the house remodeled, fishing wires at this point would be a pain. I haven't researched wireless system yet.

I have a pitched roof house so running wires is an option. Seems like I have been running wires since we bought the place back in 1999. SAT TV wires, OTA HDTV wires, 5.1 Surround Sound wires, CAT-5 wires. Whats a few more wires! I ordered one of the wireless ones but then canceled the order after reading more and more reviews. As they use your bandwidth almost all the time to send stuff up to the cloud for viewing etc. The higher the PQ on the camera the more bandwidth they use......

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Q-See model. After doing some thinking, all the wires have fairly short runs which should make the installation go fairly quickly once I get started! LOL

Update!

Well I pulled the trigger on the Q-See while it had the instant rebate. It arrived last weekend but had too many other things on the list to get it installed until this weekend. Man crawling around in the attic is not fun in the Summer! 8 cameras sounds like a lot but you can't really cover an entire house with just 8 but I feel like I did a pretty good job of covering most of the house and especially the areas that would allow easy access in and out.

One of the outdoor camera's arrived with something loose inside. Q-See RMA'd a replacement and had it here within a week. The video quality looks pretty good for 720p HD. Pleased with the wide angle viewing and the night time vision. I need to work next on connectivity. They make an Android app, iPad app. iPhone app and you can also connect via your computer. But I need to open some ports on my router and may have to make a call to my ISP to open ports on their end as I can't seem to connect and when I go to canyouseeme.org my IP an port are not being seen. Time for a phone call to tech support.

Will update again after I get things going on the portable devices but right now it looks like a pretty good system with a lot of bells and whistles for the money. You can view all 8 channels at once or just about any combination including a single channel and a tour like a slideshow which rotates every 5 seconds through each camera.

Ened up with coverage on:

Front Door
Drive Way
Patio 1
Patio 2
Living Room
Den
Den/Dining/Kitchen
Winery (of course) :)

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

Very nice Mike!

I have a single "Dropcam" and I move it around. At one time I had it showing a close up of my airlock! :)

This system looks like the right deal!

Got the iPad and iPhone apps working. Turned out I had downloaded the wrong app for both. You need the QC labeled app and they have 3-4 other ones close in name.

Still not connecting via computer but I have not called Tech Support. I AM tech support in my house LOL! :)

IMG_2349.jpg

Added a new IP Camera!

51OQ-lymO4L._SL1001_.jpg

So I am a tech junkie (I know) but I couldn't pass this up and I wanted to tell others what a great deal I found. I snagged a 1080P Wireless IP cam this week off Amazon. After reading the reviews and seeing all the features just could not pass it up. They had a Promo code on Amazon for $30 off. I picked it up for $89 with free Prime shipping and still no tax here in NM. First off 1080P picture quality makes the 720P of the whole house system look like old analog SD video. Sooooo much more detail. But wait theres more! This IP Cam also comes fully equipped with Pan and Tilt capabilities as well as a Mic and Speaker built in. I can now freak out the dogs from work by talking to them. LOL

Setup took literally 90 seconds. It comes with free cloud storage for a single camera but it only saves 4 hour blocks so you have to stay on top of any alert or you loose it if 4 hours goes buy. you can purchase more time/space of course but I decided to go with onboard storage. It has a slot for a MicroSD card in the back as well. 32GB is the max that is supposedly supported but I was reading some of the reviews and questions online and found out that it will take a 64GB card if you can reformat it to FAT32. No problem. I now have a 64GB card that will last for several months as well as the 4 hour free cloud storage. Since its wireless you can put it anywhere within your wireless access point's WIFI signal. Comes in Black or White.

The build quality is top notch on this camera. Comes with free App's for phones and tablets (both flavors) and it also has Web Browser access as well.

Full one year warranty and...... UNLIMITED lifetime technical support!

If you have been thinking about picking one of these up but unsure of quality or ease of setup/operation. I give this little guy two big thumbs up! :br

Amcrest 1080P IP Cam

Last edited by a moderator:
Back