Anyone just put the hydrometer in the primary directly?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishNiX

Reaction score
Does anyone put their hydrometer directly into the primary?

I use a test vial thing like I assume most others do, but then I need to clean and sanitize a baster, the vial AND the hydrometer... sure would be nice to reduce that to one piece of equipment atleast while it's in the primary!
:sn

I do that all the time and just leave it in there till its time to rack to glass.

Sometimes, if the wine is up the neck and I know it is going to stick out the top, I will. I believe Wade does all the time.

Same here. It cuts down on sanitizing and work load. As long as you make sure you sanitize it well you only need to use the hydrometer.

I seldom use a test jar. About the only time I use a test jar is when the primary has a lot of fruit floating in it that could interfere with a reliable reading. I will even float the hydrometer directly in my carboy and remove it with bamboo tongs like these:
052200!BAMBU.jpg

I also use it but dont eave it in my carboy. Ill suck up the end with my vacuum hose to get the hydro out.

same here as Lon...fruit and pulp always are the issue requiring a test jar...but more importantly using a test jar all the time is just another thing to clean

wow, apparently I'm working too hard. I guess I should just pick up a couple more ;)

Always have more then one. When they are alone too long they commit suicide and break. Once you have at least 2 they grow old together! I have a great family of about 5 of them.

I just started doing it with my current batch. Now there's no need to sanitize it for each reading, along with thief and test jar.

I'm still planning to use the old method when I need more precise readings near the end of fermentation and when solids are a factor, as others have stated..

Last edited:
I love to get a new person to watch as I drop a hydrometer into a large barrel fermenter such as a Brute 32 gallon full of wine. Thier eyes bug out as it disappears and I say "Oh Cr*p, lost another one" Wait a second and watch it bob back out just enough to grab hold of it after reading. The look on their face is priceless.

Test jar? What's that? Oh yea, I bought one of those years ago, wonder whatever happened to it.:slp Just drop the hydrometer into primary bucket. Then I always rack back from carboy to primary for degassing and bottling so that gives me two more times to record SG.

Hmm I guess leaving it in the primary wouldn't hurt anything, would it? I might just start doing that instead of cleaning and sanitizing all the time.

Latest posts

Back