Anyone ever get sick from thier wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I opened up a bottle of my most I Mondale Sangiovese on Friday night. The initial smell was chemical, but that subsided after sitting in a glass for 5 minutes. The wine tasted fine after it aired out. My wife even took a sip and remarked "not bad".
I had 2 glasses ad that was it.
The next day I felt lousy (wont go into detail). Everyone asked what I ate on Friday " egg for breakfest, turkey sandwich for lunch, steak and salad for dinner . 2 glasses of home made wine.

I have had this happen a few months ago when I had a couple glasses of my older wine.

Now with my older wine, I followed the most I Mondale instruction and put k-meta in as the last step and then bulk aged, but never put more k-meta after bulk aging for 6 to. 9 months.

I now know better about k- meta, but could he lack of k -meta cause microscopic issues which cause cause illness?

Or is this just a coincidence? And all in my head?

I seriously doubt if the wine made you sick. You had added some sulfite and the alcohol in the wine preserves it also. If it truly was bad, it would not be appealing to drink

There was some salad issues going around the country last week. But I thinkthat was more a SW part of the country thing

To answer your question, no. To add to it, I have also tasted some seriously damaged/tainted/oxidized commerical wines - I mean, so bad that one swallow and the rest got pitched - and never got sick from those, either.

It is hard to get sick from any solution containing 10% alcohol or more. That's the bottom threshold for a darned good disinfectant. It's also why most winemakers are advised to start at a minimum 1.080 SG, to make that 10%.

I agree with mr wordy...if your wine is 12 percent are better there is no worry. i would blame the egg, are the salad, are the turkey..never the wine...

I have gotten sick from one batch of my wine, multiple times. It was one of my first batches, a 1 gallon batch of hobo juice wine from cranberry/raspberry juice. Every time I would have a glass, I would get a killer headache about an hour later. After this happened twice, I poured the last 2 bottles down the drain. I don't know if it's that I fermented it in a 1 gallon plastic water jug, that it wasn't degassed, or any number of other issues.

Since I started using some basic sanitization and otherwise good winemaking practices, I haven't had any further issues.

It sounds like this is a kit wine where you followed the instructions and added all appropriate chemicals, so my money is not on the wine in your case.

I dunno. If I drink two or three bottles, I tend to feel pretty crappy the next day. :)

2-3 more the next day fixes that... :dg

Could you be allergic to sulfites? I went without using them a couple of batches and everything was great... Then I got scared on here into using them and every one after gave hubby headaches... now I go without and just up the ABV and all is well in the world again...

Gosh, I wish we would give up on the idea that sulfites can give us a headache!
Go to the store and buy a bag of dried apricots ( very high in sulfites) eat the whole bag and let me know if you get a headache.....believe it or not drinking to much is what gives us the headache!

Gosh, I wish we would give up on the idea that sulfites can give us a headache!
Go to the store and buy a bag of dried apricots ( very high in sulfites) eat the whole bag and let me know if you get a headache.....believe it or not drinking to much is what gives us the headache!

That DOES give him headaches too... :try

Just sayin... some people are sensitive to it just like some are to aspartame... a diet coke will give me migraines... (Don't you know better than to argue with me yet? :wy LOL)

First, sulfites. Many people seem to think that sulfites in wine cause headaches. The scientists and physicians we talked to said that’s not true. “Sulfites can cause allergy and asthma symptoms, but they don’t cause headaches,” says Frederick Freitag, associate director of the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago and a board member of the National Headache Foundation.

We hear all the time from people who were on vacation somewhere overseas, had a wine that didn’t cause headaches and figured the wine didn’t contain sulfites because, unlike wines in America, the label didn’t say “Contains Sulfites.” Actually, sulfites occur naturally in all wine. It’s just that in the U.S., the government requires winemakers to print that on the label because sulfites can trigger severe reactions, even death, in some people, especially asthmatics with this sensitivity.

First, sulfites. Many people seem to think that sulfites in wine cause headaches. The scientists and physicians we talked to said that’s not true. “Sulfites can cause allergy and asthma symptoms, but they don’t cause headaches,” says Frederick Freitag, associate director of the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago and a board member of the National Headache Foundation.

We hear all the time from people who were on vacation somewhere overseas, had a wine that didn’t cause headaches and figured the wine didn’t contain sulfites because, unlike wines in America, the label didn’t say “Contains Sulfites.” Actually, sulfites occur naturally in all wine. It’s just that in the U.S., the government requires winemakers to print that on the label because sulfites can trigger severe reactions, even death, in some people, especially asthmatics with this sensitivity.

But if you are Allergic... And levels.... while all wine contains it adding more can be enough to trigger the allergy. Not common, but possible. Could be drinking to much, or could be stress... So many variables.

Agreed, I'm just saying lets not put all of it on the sulfites.

Just to weigh in here...

90% of the wine I have been drinking over the last 20 years has been my own. Other than the occasional over-indulgence, It has never made me sick.

I strongly agree with JSW, Hardly any harmful bacteria can survive in a 10% alcohol solution having a PH of 3.4. If you are sure that your wine tests at these levels, then it is highly unlikely that the wine made you sick.

Avoiding the K-meta debate all together, perhaps it was the acid in the wine that affected you? Perhaps you digestive system is PH sensitive?

Back