Any 2011 wine making resolutions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am resolved NOT to drink any of the wine I make in 2011 until 2012. I know I am sure to fail this one but we will see how far I get.

Is to not make slightly carbonated wine (On Purpose) again. I was thinnking it wouldnt make much lees in the bottle and would be nice but I ended up yanking it all, degassing it all, filtering it all, and re bottling it all! Sorry Julie. I pulled out a bottle of this the other day that I made on purpose and what a mess.

I loved it! I am not going to do the bottle method but I am definitely going to make a batch of raspberry and keg it. I just have to buy keg parts cuz Mike said he will not take out his keg but will add another one.

My new years wine resolutions are:

1- Make at least 3 6 gallon batches exclusively for the wedding

2- Double my carboy stash so that I can do more bulk aging

3- Try to make a chocolate port that is not bitter

4- Make a batch of brandy

5- Renovate my wine room with a utility tub and under cabinet wine storage

6- Find a way to keep the fiance out of my wine room... May include installing a door, lock, security system, and retina scanner...

My new years wine resolutions are:

1- Make at least 3 6 gallon batches exclusively for the wedding

2- Double my carboy stash so that I can do more bulk aging

3- Try to make a chocolate port that is not bitter

4- Make a batch of brandy

5- Renovate my wine room with a utility tub and under cabinet wine storage

6- Find a way to keep the fiance out of my wine room... May include installing a door, lock, security system, and retina scanner...

This is way too cool! What are you going to make for the wedding. You missed on getting a lot of juice at Walkers but they still have a lot of other juices. You may want to consider that. When's the big date?

This is way too cool! What are you going to make for the wedding. You missed on getting a lot of juice at Walkers but they still have a lot of other juices. You may want to consider that. When's the big date?

We're keeping our fingers crossed for a Sept 17th wedding... barring orders for a deployment to Afghanistan... I REALLY hope they don't activate his unit again before he's out!

For the wedding I want to make a white, a blush, and a batch of blueberry. I would love to do a red but doubt I have the time to properly age a good one before then.

I don't have my mind made up on the white, but I'm thinking of doing a kit since we don't have a lot of time for something to sit and age. I'll have a good 6 months for the blueberry to age before the wedding so I'm not worried about that.

We're keeping our fingers crossed for a Sept 17th wedding... barring orders for a deployment to Afghanistan... I REALLY hope they don't activate his unit again before he's out!

For the wedding I want to make a white, a blush, and a batch of blueberry. I would love to do a red but doubt I have the time to properly age a good one before then.

I don't have my mind made up on the white, but I'm thinking of doing a kit since we don't have a lot of time for something to sit and age. I'll have a good 6 months for the blueberry to age before the wedding so I'm not worried about that.

Congrats on setting a date and getting prepared for making your own wine for the wedding. We'll be hoping your fiancee doesn't get deployed. That could put a real damper on the plans and I can only imagine how stressful that would be on a newlywed.

My son came home from there in October. He is out in July so he should be okay not to be deployed again.

As far as 2011 resolutions:

• Make more Elderberry, Strawberry, and maybe a cherry.
  • Learn the 3 P's better.
  • Build up stock so the 3 P's can be learned.
  • Spend time with good friends made here at WMT.

Congrats on setting a date and getting prepared for making your own wine for the wedding. We'll be hoping your fiancee doesn't get deployed. That could put a real damper on the plans and I can only imagine how stressful that would be on a newlywed.

My son came home from there in October. He is out in July so he should be okay not to be deployed again.

As far as 2011 resolutions:

• Make more Elderberry, Strawberry, and maybe a cherry.
  • Learn the 3 P's better.
  • Build up stock so the 3 P's can be learned.
  • Spend time with good friends made here at WMT.

I'm very glad to hear that your son got home safely! It is very hard when a loved one is deployed so I'm sure you are happy he's home!

My fiance has been in the army for a little over 12 years and has already served a tour in Iraq. As important as it is for our military to serve, he is ready to be done.

Keeping our fingers crossed!

Oddly, my main resolution for next year is to make LESS wine. But, I want to make better, more consistent wine as part of it. I got into the hobby very late in 2009, so 2010 was pretty much my newbie year, and for the first 6-7 months I basically kept a primary going at all times. The result was a lot of learning, but also I found myself struggling to keep up with it, and some of my wines suffered for it. So, I want to keep 4 batches going at a time, and not start another 'til I bottle one. That should be plenty!

Other resolutions:

1. Hopefully get enough black currants from my bushes to make a decent size batch.
2. Same as #1 for my plum trees. (If I can keep my 4 year old from eating them all!)
3. Get my Cynthiana grapevines established. They were 1 year old when I bought them, and they grew pretty well last year, so I am still deciding whether to let them fruit this year or not.
4. Get at least one pail from Walker's.
5. Let my Syrah (midwest frozen grape pail) age all year in the bottle (once I bottle it), which means not drinking any of it!
6. Get a wine press

Run plumbing to the wine room.:r

Purchase a bottle filler.:ib

Start using a check list on both beer and wine.:slp

I'll second that ibglowin I also want to get my wine press and crusher built before grape harvest this will be my first harvest

Run plumbing to the wine room.:r

Purchase a bottle filler.:ib

Start using a check list on both beer and wine.:slp

Well yesterday went under the house to get a material list fof the drain lines to the wine room. Found out I had a leak in the main sewer line. Decided to replace to whole line. Job wasn't so bad but it was dirty as **it. (excuse to pun). I will have the water supply and drains hooked up by this weekend.

Resolution then complete..

To make enough wine that I don't run out at 6 months old. I really want to age some wine. Wife is giving the OK for a 15 gallon demi john within the next few weeks! Only 30 gallon capacity currently, soon to be 45.:tz:db

To make enough wine that I don't run out at 6 months old. I really want to age some wine. Wife is giving the OK for a 15 gallon demi john within the next few weeks! Only 30 gallon capacity currently, soon to be 45.:tz:db

only one??? You should buy two and tell your wife that you needed the second one for racking.

Then comes the hard part. You wait two years and try to get permission for a 500l Sainless Steel VC Tank!

Last edited:
only one??? You should buy two and tell your wife that you needed the second one for racking.

Then comes the hard part. You wait two years and try to get permission for a 500l Sainless Steel VC Tank!

I might be done having kids, but like my manhood right where it is. The second demi-john might be easy to swing though. I do have a few good reasons for that one.

I might be done having kids, but like my manhood right where it is. The second demi-john might be easy to swing though. I do have a few good reasons for that one.

A Variable Capacity tank removes the need for having wine in reserve (for topping off). Look into a 100l tank. They might not be as expensive as you might think and are not as fragile as glass. A tank lasts for ever!

I've got a few:

I plan to buy at least 2 cases of the Aldi's canned plums this coming year.

I plan to make cucumber wine. I grew Oriental cucs this past summer and just did not have time to try it.

I plan to make wine from my Marquis table grapes. They are growing nicely and were very sweet this year.

I might as well get a corker. This appears to be a hobby I'll be doing awhile.

I plan to use my fruit crusher and monster press for the first time and make an apple wine with my apples from the backyard.

:b
Larry
Wanting to make cucumber wine but nobody has been forthcoming w/ any info. This is a recipe I have concocted; tell me what you think. I wish I had honeydew available to add in. TX!

8-10 lbs cukes & 4 lbs pears
Ginger
4 1/2 lbs sugar - maybe more depending on PA
4 tsp acid blend
2 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp tannin

other alternative adds: honeydew, pineapple,lime, basil & rosemary for future wines - may be throwing in some rosemary on this batch

Latest posts

Back