Another vacuum bottling question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my bottling procedure.

I've been using gravity and a wand filler up to this point.

I have a vacuum pump I use to rack and degas. It's equipped with a gauge and regulator.

I can't drop the $ on an enolmatic. I've seen too many people complain about their venturi fillers.

I've seen comments about using the spout of an enolmatic but haven't located a source for that part.

I like the idea of a double drilled bung but can't find one of those that's listed as food grade.

I know they're out there....

Thanks much for any suggestions!

Just started my 20th 5 gal. batch. It's a Vintners Sauvignon Blanc w/ an extra pound of golden raisins - rolling that slurry to another skeeter pee next...

I'm looking to upgrade my bottling procedure.

I've been using gravity and a wand filler up to this point.

I have a vacuum pump I use to rack and degas. It's equipped with a gauge and regulator.

I can't drop the $ on an enolmatic. I've seen too many people complain about their venturi fillers.

I've seen comments about using the spout of an enolmatic but haven't located a source for that part. Presque Isle Wine Cellars

I like the idea of a double drilled bung but can't find one of those that's listed as food grade. Valley Vinter

I know they're out there....

Thanks much for any suggestions!

Just started my 20th 5 gal. batch. It's a Vintners Sauvignon Blanc w/ an extra pound of golden raisins - rolling that slurry to another skeeter pee next...

You can also use the Buon Vino Gravity bottle Filler with you vacuum pump

The Buon Vino Gravity bottle Filler looks like a good option.... however, since I don't currently have an overflow canister (I know, I know, I should) I could still use a double drilled bung to catch any overflow.

Thanks for the quick responses already!

The Buon Vino Gravity bottle Filler looks like a good option.... however, since I don't currently have an overflow canister (I know, I know, I should) I could still use a double drilled bung to catch any overflow.

Thanks for the quick responses already!

Bailey, with the BVG filler you can just use another wine bottle as the overflow. Wade uses this and can explain it better than myself.

That's what I thought - another wine bottle.
But, isn't the vacuum pulled through that bottle - in which case I'd need one hole to the vacuum pump and one hole going to the filler.

Thanks.

You can make your own dblke drilled bungs. Buy solid bungs and buy a cork borer set (pretty cheap on Amazon). I used to just hesat up the cork borer and push it through the bung but Ive hear you can just put the borer on a drill and bore through the bung that way. A regular drill bit does not work so dont bother!!! You can buy dble drilled # 6 or 6.5 bungs on Valley Vintner or Morewine.com thoigh. Valley Vintner has the elbows alkso though but you can get those at Ace Hardware but may have to order them., Mine didnt carry them but they can get them and it usually takes a week to do so.

Last edited:
Back