Another Reason to Make Wine.......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobe05

Reaction score
To drink in the Hot Tub!

20080112_181425_DSCF3027_resize.jpg

Another one of my Christmas presents.........

I have always wanted a Hot Tub out on the deck, but there were several issues with that.

1) The deck is 12 feet in the air........

2). Most hot tubs that I looked at were 220 volts and would require some major electrical work, in my case, a new electrical panel.

3). The ability to maneuver and install a full size hot tub, particularly 12 feet in the air........

So my wife found a cheap Spa-N-aBox ($700) that took minutes to set up and get running. It took about $200 in extra material to reinforce the deck to hold the added weight of the spa. It's only 100 volts so it plugs right into an out side outlet, or heavy extension cord , as I have.

Folks.... I can't tell you what a pleasure it has been to just be able to grab a bottle of wine with 2 glasses and the one I love and sit in complete relaxation on my deck with my sweetheart..............

I didn't think life could possibly get any better, but it just did.................

I used to be the foreman at a very prestigious hot tub company. Did you get one with a ozonator? It is an ultraviolet light that the water runs through and keeps the water sanitized and really helps you keep the right PH which can help dramatically with chemical up keep. Ive had2 hot tubs and just sold my 5 person spa last year. The last 1 didnt have the ozonator and it was a PITA to keep up with. My advice to you is to get an additive called Foamaway as any clothes in there will have residual soap in them and will cause it to really foam up. you didnt have 2 open breakers in your elec box for a dble pole 50 amp breaker? It would really save you money on your electric bill and be much easier on your spa motor. They are great to have and will buy another 1 when I do the addition on the back of our house for our permanent master bedroom. i will get 1 with an ozonator next time. Keep an eye on your water as these are a breeding ground for bacteria. What does the temp go up to? Most will top up at 104* cause at 106* your blood starts breaking down and begins to boil. Most have very heavy 3" thick hard covers to keep them insulated so as use much electricity. My last 1 had 27 jets and 3 lights in there.

Edited by: wade

Wade: THIS IS A $700 EL CHEAPO!!!!! However it fit all the requirements that I needed for now, so no ozonator. It's not as ig as the most hot tubs, 6 feet around and a little over 2300 pounds full weight. It does heat to 104 degrees but loses it's heating ability quickly once in, since the bubble are created with air. Over an hours time, the temp will drop (at 45 degrees air temp) about 9 degrees. The heating element is only 1100 watts (same as most coffee makers) so heating back up to 104 will take several hours. It should e ready for coffee in the orning, then again tomorrow night.

We looked into other hot tubs, for ow, none of them fit our needs or price range. Spa-n -aBox was surprisingly cheap, and it was 5 payments of about $140 each, you can't beat that. My expectations were quite low for this unit, but after being in it the past few nights and getting the benefit of relaxation............ It's a great unit and worth every penny! It may not last very long..... but it should go 6 months or so, which is fine with me.

Way to go on a great buy! I'm slightly jealous but can still be happy for you. Enjoy and CHEERS!
smiley32.gif

Seeing that hot tub gave me an idea. Up here we get lots of ice this time of year. I think I will go out back to the kids pool and chop a hole in the ice and take a dip! Should be refreshing.

Looking good Jobe!!! I know you both will enjoy that.

I have to settle for my one person Jacuzzi in my bathroom with 6 jets.....and drink alone.

Hey Jobe, When you change out the water, wax the tub with a good wax. It really helps keep the dirt from the suds and body oils to stop from sticking to where the water level is. This area where the water level is will build up a scum. There are also these little sponges that you throw in that will help with this and they are called scum bugs, they are shaped kind of like a water bug with lots of little crevices and it floats around when the filter is on and absorbs the scum left behind from your body and any clothes. The place where I used to work now sells them with LCD screens that pop out and car stereos and speakers built into them.

Edited by: wade

I added some stuff today that came with the chemical kit that seemed to work pretty good on clearing the water, and that scum line up well. I'll have to look for the sponge, haven't seen those yet. All we have floating in there now is Lipton............ Lipton is an empty bottle of green tea that we have had with us in many Hot Tub adventures in the mountains...........Needless to say, Lipton is quite pleased to have his own hot tub at home. And he likes that little blue and white floaty thing (bromine feeder) but doesn't quite know what to make of it just yet............. (he says it has body odor). Will have to get a picture of lipton to post at some point.

I have to say.............

For those of you who think your weekends just fly by................
For those of you who come home on Friday wishing you could just get away from it all.........................
And for those of you who just need that one thing that will relax you and take it all away.......................

This would be the best money ever spent! This 2 day weekend has been the best weekend that I have had in a long time. Even coming off all the 4 day weekends we just had, they can't compare to this one for me. This little cheap hot tub has made it so relaxing............so invigorating.... we love it.

We have about an hour each time we get in it before it cools off to much to stay out there, our goal is to polish off a bottle each hot tub visit...... thats a bottle for me, and a bottle for my wife............. So far, we have made our goal each night.......... perhaps thats why we enjoy it so much......

I was thinking of posting my wine inventory and letting the board chose my wine for the evening............ it's so hard to chose some times. But tomorrow it'll be the Barbera, Limited edition. During the week, I might have to make a bottle last 2 nights however.... with work and all........

Speaking of wines, how many of those Amarones that you dont like do you have left? If you truly liked the Barolo Id be willing to trade some with you as Im not to crazy about the Barolo. My friend loves that Barolo also, me, I just cant get into it although I like Barolos, especially the Meglioli that Masta gave me last year, yum!

I probably have about 10 or 12 bottles left........... I can't give them away fast enough
smiley36.gif
I haven't had a bottle in more than a year...... I guess I should try it. If it taste anything like it did then, I would feel horrible trading you even up for the Barolo, it was good, I did enjoy it........ hey...... as a matter of fact thats probably what got me started on the "one bottle a night" thing..........
smiley36.gif

I wouldnt feel horrible as i opened a bottle of the Barolo and had a glass and the rest sat on the counter for a week before I dumped it. Thats the first time I dumped 1 of my wines out. So if you still feel that way about yours the option is out there.

I have a hot tube, keep it clean all the time winter /summer haven't been in it in over a year,sometime good ideas just don't work out,life gets in the way,but not in the way of making wine
smiley9.gif
never just postponed till tommorrow
smiley4.gif
no what I mean?
smiley20.gif

Thats why I got rid of mine, I used every day for about 2 months then gradually decreased. After that i would use it about 3 times a month and it just wasnt worth the electric bill as it usually adds up to around $30 a month plus all the chemicals to keep the PH right. Its really nice when youre sick and have a fever and just cant warm up or your muscles are achy. When I slipped 2 discs it didnt help a bit though.

never really thought of the cost ,it filters twice a day automaticly then sleeps ,OH WELL
smiley13.gif

Latest posts

Back