Another Blueberry thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBB

Reaction score
Perhaps I should have just bumped an older thread.................
slap.gif

The plan is for 10 gallons finished from 2 separate 5 gallon batches.

I previously acquired approx 62 lbs of fresh blueberries which I promptly rinsed and froze in gallon size zip-loc bags.

Batch #1(5 gallons) includes 32lbs of frozen blueberries thawing in 2 fermenter buckets. I might regret not using mesh bags for the fruit but I want maximum extraction and plan on using a potato masher tomorrow after full thaw.

I plan on doing a yeast starter tomorrow once I have a bit of juice using Red Star Montrachet yeast.

This is my first try with fresh blueberries and am open to any and all suggestions as I go along. I will be updating my progress as necessary.:r

I made Blueberry from fresh berries last year. I steam juiced them after freezing, and was quite pleased with the results. Good luck with yours.

BTW, I just ordered a Blueberry Shiraz kit. Will start on that this coming weekend.

My blueberry wine is bulk aging now. I added blueberry concentrate and sugar syrup to bring out the blueberry flavors.
With the yeast slurry and blueberry in the mesh bag(from the wine), I have also made some Blueberry skeeter pee. It is in the clearing stage now.
Good choice of yeast. Note that it foams quite a bit.

Yeast is pitched! The starting S.G. is 1.088. According to my new Milwaukee PH meter the PH was at 3.7
I have just over 6 gallons of must. I used exactly 7 lbs of sugar to reach the target S.G.

Edit to add:

I must admit to this mistake. In my haste of testing my two samples, after testing the 1st sample of must for PH I poured the sample back into the fermenter!!
slap.gif

Now, I had rinsed the probes after calibrating so I'm thinking all should be ok, but I guess not to many people would recommend doing that. I know I wouldn't.

Fermenting nicely thus far. Had a nice cap, so I gave it a good stir!
551942_4541094727751_1151097564_n.jpg

Last edited:
Already time to rack into secondary as the S.G. is 1.02 in one and 0.998 in the other. The color looks amazing.

Got a little behind from my original plan but batch number two is now thawing in the buckets. 28.75lbs of blueberries. I have a 5lb bag still in the freezer I was thinking for a flavor pack. Is 5 lbs worth saving for 10 gallons or should I just toss it in now?

Thoughts??

Edit: Oh and this batch I am definitely using mesh bags to hold the fruit!
funny20194.gif

Resampled_2012-08-23_20-37-03_912.jpg

Resampled_2012-08-23_20-36-54_494.jpg

Last edited:
I like the pictures UBB. I made my first fresh blueberry this year. 3 gallons from 19 lbs. of blueberries. It's bulk aging and smells and looks good.

photobucket-23264-1345902099560.jpg

Batch 2 is underway, about to pitch the starter. I hope I get more extraction as I'm not at 5 gallons of must yet and do not want to add H2O.

Looks good. My wife made mixed berry cobbler last night and it had a lot of blueberries in it, all I could think of when I went for another bite was wine. :D

Batch #2 is now under glass. I was a little surprised as the yield left me about 3/4 gallon short of 5. Looks like 30-32lbs is the secret number for 5 gallons with minimal water added at fermentation. I added some American oak into this batch as well.
561505_4611839176318_1088219168_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back