WineXpert And so it begins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's only a problem for you if you admit to it. Admit nothing! Order away!
smiley36.gif

It is a lot of fun....but so many wines to do and so little time...

Okay, we're five days into the first racking and the SG this afternoon was slightly above 1.000. As per instructions I know I'm looking for 0.996 so I will assume (bad word
smiley5.gif
) all is progressing according to plan. I will check again in a couple of days to see if it drops below 1.000. Very little action but an occassional bubble or two or three so the beasties are still at work.

I must admit the temptation to "taste" is all but driving me crazy 'cause it smells wonderful even if still a bit yeasty.

I'm sitting on a chianti and Green Apple Reisling kit but waiting to begin either of them until I know for sure this one is on the correct path and I've not botched it up. certainly by the weekend I'll have proof of my ability to "follow the directions!"

Yep, sounds like everything is good. Just follow the directions. Go ahead, taste as you go along, it will give you a good idea of the various stages. Whenever I am checking my SG, I always have a clean class, spritzed w/ a little k-meta to have a little taste! On my first batch, this was every other day
smiley2.gif

Okay, two days @0.0996 and it was time to do some more work. I hope I made Smurfe proud. Notice Makita cordless.

2006-04-20_143616_fizx.jpg

It wasn't Vesuvius but it sure did foam up!
smiley5.gif

2006-04-20_143520_degass.jpg

IN any event I used about 2/3 of the "F" Pack and topped it up with reserve from finning and we'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks. Yeeeeees we tried it out to make sure we both agreed on how much of the "F" pack was agreeable to both of us. I must admit that for a first time I think this is headed in the right direction. Now I need to work on a label.
smiley24.gif

Looks and sounds excellent!
smiley32.gif

You know this forum rocks when a newbie is at ease and very successful on the first try.

Looking good. I can speak from experience this is a pretty tasty cooler, but I wish I had stopped at 2/3 of the f-pack- a little too fruity and sweet for my taste-but otherwise very good. My Exotic Fruits Zinfandel is ready to bottle. I only put 2/3 to 3/4 of the f-pack in that one. It will be very good. Did a taste test tonight and it has a very, very good smell and tastes pretty darned good too. I will bottle this weekend and hope it makes it until summer.
smiley36.gif

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Pepere, you did great! We are very proud!

I can PM you my address if you need a taster.
smiley2.gif

Good looking wine Pepere...Looks like you are on your way with a great hobby....Have fun and enjoy.

It is 12:37a.m. Sunday morning and I just walked in the door from a two day trip to Atlanta. I couldn't wait to see what was going on with the WB shiraz. Welllllllll, it is clearing nicely.
smiley36.gif

I saw some gunk on the side of the bottle and remember "masta" telling some one to just give the carboy a wiggle and it will settle. Once again this forum is right on the money a wiggle or two and down she went. Tomorrow I leave for N.J. and won't be back until next Wed. at which time I'll just have to take a pic or two and show off my efforts.

Yes Masta, this forum really rocks and I can't believe the support and encouragement the newbies get. If this turns out to taste half as good as it looks this morning I'l be one happy camper. I guess I'll just have to give that chianti kit a kick in the pants and get 'er started when I get back. Does it sound like I might be hooked?? only George and my banker will know for sure!!
smiley17.gif

Thanks for all the help and the tips I continue to find all over this forum.
smiley31.gif

Now it's time for me to go nighty night. Oh yea, flight was an hour late getting into Baltimore and I'm an hour away from there by car. Me tired!
smiley11.gif

I'm glad it worked out for you!

Get some rest, and don't forget to recharge your OWN battery before going on your next trip.

ALL: Finally back from N.J. and this first attempt is clearing very nicely. There is a benefit to travel...........you leave your wine alone!
smiley36.gif

No time for pix however we leave for Columbus Ohio for four days. That means of course we're ready to bottle when we return. We'll have pix of that exercise I assure you.
smiley5.gif

Earl. "a bottle for every poster" that sounds like a fair deal. I need snail mail addresses. Seems like a fair tuition for all the help a newbie gets on this forum. See ya'll next week.

Don't be afraid to rack it an extra time or 2 to be sure it's beauty clear. It also gives it a few more weeks of aging before bottling, cutting back in the chance that you'll drink it all up before it's ready!
smiley2.gif

And don't listen to Earl. You don't have to send a bottle to every poster. Just to the moderators!
smiley4.gif

PWP you are correct. Only moderators. Hee hee.
Pepere, are you going to filter?

If it has cleared, it is not necessary to filter, but just having bottled my
Australian Shiraz and filtered it, I was really amazed at the clarity.

I use a gravity filter (coz I'm a cheapskate) and it takes abtou 30 -40
minutes to filter a properly cleared 6 gallon.

I'll post a pic tonight when I get home.

PC: The "boss" has informed me that I have time to post pix before we depart.

Never thought about filtering see pix and tell me what you think. I can see the kitchen chair through the carboy on one and the deck on the other. Do I really need to filter???

2006-04-28_082012_clearing1a.jpg

2006-04-28_082059_clearing2a.jpg
Yes that's my reflection in the first Pic and the chair in the background of this one. Nice inch of sediment on the bottom. "Masta" I hope grasshopper has passed the test?
smiley4.gif

Pepere --

Lookin' guuuuddd!

Oh, and Peter and the Princess (sounds like the title of a children's book!) are correct -- just send an empty bottle to the moderators
smiley36.gif

Now Earl and the rest of the of us...we admire your WINE!

Back