WineXpert And so it begins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepere

Reaction score
Yep! I'm back from the trip to Ct. and got started on the Wildberry Shiraz. Starting SG = 1.050 and pitched the yeastybeasties this morning. I expect to see some action fairly soon as begin temp was 70deg. F this morning.

Smurfe, I did not "stir" but fiz-xed everything as suggested. Oh yea, read the directions.......again and then one more time before starting. Cleaned and sanitized "carefully" like everyoneon here has cautioned and I think I'm ingood shape there. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens over the next couple of days.

I know you all like pix so as soon as I see some action I'll get the digital out and provide as I can. I just want to thank all of you for your encouragement and support and taking the first step. Next up, who knows, I'm still trying to choose. Will it be Sanjoveysee, chianti, merlot, or pinot noir, or a Chard? I'm not sure but I suspect the wife will have something to say about that. Thanks all
smiley1.gif

Almost forgot. I do have a pic of me reading the instructions. Thought y'all might be interested and I wanted to verify that I actually did read them.
2006-04-08_094805_reading_directions.jpg

Sounds like you are well on your way and you can't go wrong if you follow the directions. I ferment all of my wine, beer (except largers) and meads at 70 degrees and it works well for me. You should start to see some action in 12-24 hours.

Glad you found the help you needed and please keep us posted!

Welcome Peperre it wont take long before you are enjoying the fruits of you labor. If you are new to this craft welcome to the best forum The people are great in here and if you need to mail order George is very very competitive with the supplies.

Upon inspection this morning it appears we have take-off.
smiley32.gif

Bubble bubble, toil and trouble. Smells like it's working as well. I will keep a close eye and in a few days check the SG and see where we stand. This forum will make a wine maker out of me yet!
smiley4.gif

Wino: you're right on George of course. Got started with him and will continue doing business with him. There is a local merchant near me but, when you walk in the store it's like he's there doing you a favor and you feel like you need to make a reservation to speak with him. I'll use him for immediate neccessities but that's about it. George has another satisfied coustomer!!

Just make sure you follow those instructions. As Smurfe says read them again at every step, if you do that you'll have a great wine.

I will continue to do business with George as he has greatly helped me along the way already. My "local" shop is about an hour away so unless I happen to be over there it isn't even convenient for small things, though she does hold tastings every couple of months. Went to the one yesterday and was able to taste a few of the Mist style wines and a couple were very good and a couple just seemed bland to me. The black cherry merlot would be perfect as a fizzy drink and I may have to make some of that. There were quite a few wines there that I was suprised that I liked as they were a bit sweeter than what I normally go for. Most of the wines were kits, but a few were scratch wines from grapes, muscadines and fruits.

Steve

This morning begins day three and things are really rolling in the primary, smells great too!
smiley17.gif

I'm guessing, according to the instructions, I sit back watch and wait until day 5-7 at which time I check for a consistant SG of 1.010 or less before I rack for the first time. I'm begining to understand the need to practice patience.

I had a slight drip from the spigot but a slight twist of the wrist and all is well. Carboy is clean and I've followed someones suggestion to leave a bit of K/meta in the carboy until needed to keep it sanitized and ready to go at racking time. As soon as I get it racked for the first time I'll get another pic up and await comments. Yes, I will remember to take the K/meta out of carboy before I rack.

This forum and its members are really great
smiley32.gif
and I appreciate reading your ideas and tips on making a better wine. Thanks again to all of you.

Pepere

Pepere,

I would check the SG on day 5 with this kit and should be near the target 1.010 and be ready to transfer to your carboy.

Glad this is working for you, Pepere! I have one of these kits waiting in the wings to be started.

Brandst said:
I will continue to do business with George as he has greatly helped me along the way already.

I have found out that I have a couple shops local. Haven't even attempted to go check them out. I am close enough I guess to George that I don't really need to. Normally when I order from him I have it in a day or two. Lot of times, it is shipped the same day and I have received it the next day and didn't have to pay for next day shipping. Now I realize many are further away so this don't apply to them.

Course you could do like me and just start buying one of everything in the catalog. I have been throwing a few things here and there with each order. I am building quite a supply of items so I hope to never get caught short handed on needing something.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Just an observation. Yesterday the "must" almost looked like I had a rolling boil going on in the primary. This eve the rolling boil has stopped andI have tiny little bubbles. Being a "newbie" I just have to look eleventeen times a day and check out what's happening. I guess this is just a normal progression of things.

Smurfe: I'm a toy guy as well. I could easily be knee deep in wine toys before this wildberry shiraz is ready to rack for the first time. The problem with that is I'd have toys I wouldn't know how to use.
smiley5.gif

My wife says if I can make a chianti to rival C. Rossi I'm a hero in my house. Heck, we go through a gallon of that in less than three weeks. That doesn't include my favorite Pinot Noir on special evenings with friends. I guess you could say we love are wine eh?
smiley2.gif

Pepere

Pepere said:
Just an observation. Yesterday the "must" almost looked like I had a rolling boil going on in the primary. This eve the rolling boil has stopped andI have tiny little bubbles. Being a "newbie" I just have to look eleventeen times a day and check out what's happening. I guess this is just a normal progression of things.

Yes this is quite normal and every time you look at it the action will appear different. Welcome to wine making....you will certainly enjoy this!

Yep, yep, yep, what Masta said. I am notorious for checking every 5 minutes and freaked out the first time I saw it go from rolling to fizzy. I was sure I was doomed!!
smiley36.gif
It's all good!

Okay, the wildberry shiraz held at 1.010 and she's raked up for the next ten days. Still cloudy and I realize that's normal. I took Geo's advice and had a taste, not bad for a cooler
smiley17.gif
Even the boss said it had potential for a cookout! (see photo)

2006-04-12_154847_WB_Shiraz1a.jpg

Pepere,

Your wine looks soooooooo good. When's the cook out
smiley36.gif
That one might just have to go on my list to make for summer.

Pepper

A word of advice...put on an aluminum foil hat NOW!!! George will be sending signals to "ADD TO CART!"
smiley2.gif

Congrats on the fine looking wine.

earl

Thank you all for the nice comments on the wine.
smiley9.gif
Cook out will be first weekend in June BMW and you're invited if you can ever find the place. Ask Ramona, she's very aware of where I am. It's got a great color and Geo advises I don't have to add the entire "F Pack" so as to limit the amount of sweatness in the final product. I'll keep you all advised.

Earl: Toooooo late!!
smiley36.gif
I just ordered a Green Apple Ries. and a chianti for my next attempt. I've been infected with the wine making bug. Of course none of y'all have had anything to do with that nor did you provide council as to where I might recieve a vaccine for same.
smiley5.gif

Life is good! Thanks all.

Pepere

Back