WineXpert And so it begins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pepere,

I would not personally filter a red or blush wine that clear
smiley32.gif
, but that is just me. I recently purchased a gravity filter and plan to only use it on whites. I made a batch of peach that was extremely clear at bottling, but have noticed a small amount of "floaties" after about 3 months. No dusting in the bottle, just very small particles when poured in a glass. Filtering would clean this up.

pkcook does have a point about not filtering reds. I almost expect to find something in the bottom of a wine glass when drinking reds. (Like tea leaves in the bottom ofa cup.)

But I know I don't like things floating around in my white wines. I have a few whites I'm going to filter as soon as we find the time!
smiley5.gif

I noticed today, on the peach apricot chardonnay that I bottled about 1 month ago, a few of them had a slight dusting on the bottom of the bottle. Would that have been resolved w/ filtering??? Too late now, I just better hurry up and drink it all.

Back from Ohio and grand daughters 5th B'day. Oh yea, pic of first bottle.............included in this message.
smiley4.gif
Yes, I am very well pleased and it tastes as good as it looks.

2006-05-04_182258_first_bottle1a.jpg

Also found an interesting store in the Columbus area and actually got to sample many of the differenct kits. Wow, there are some very good wines out there. Luna Bianca was oaky and wonderul and I'm not much of a white wine guy. Veaux Chateau de Roi and Barolo are very high on my list of kits to invest in as soon as I get this chianti kit started and under glass. I have to admit I'vebecome a real fan and expect I'll be doing this for awhile thanks to all of you. Now who gets the first bottles of WB Shiraz??
smiley31.gif

That is an awesome looking picture....enjoy and have some fun....this is an interesting and fun hobby...at least I think so..
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Pepere,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Veaux Chateau de Roi. This wasGeorge's wine of the month kit last month and I purchased it. This will be my first kit wine, so I'mexcited about it. I plan ongetting it going very soon. Are there any red you could compare the de Roi with? George mentioned aCHATEAU NEUF du PAPE, but I can't find this wine anywhere.

Chateauneuf du Pape is a french trademark name so they had to rename the wine veaux chateau du Roi. Loosely translated the kings old castle or chateau. You should be able to find a nice Chateauneuf du Pape in a good wine store.

Comparative wine? Hmmm a very bold red beaujolais that has aged welland a bit heavier I think.

While the kit I tasted was young it still came off very nicely. I suspect it will really become more complex after a year in the bottle. Hope this helps and I think you will enjoy the kit.

Well hes off to the races. I bet he needs a few more carboys if hes going through that much Chainti. I have to make a lot of it and Johannaburg Relisings. Yes I do make others but for aging purposes and drinking gotta have a few batches in the cellar ops i dont have a cellar but i do have 3 144 bottle and 1 100 bottle wine racks in various nooks and crannies in the house. And I still talk to them after the wine is in the bottle. After all the yeastie beasties gave up there life for my pleasure. Wow and I am only drinking coffee. Your wine looks great My daughter and I call it adult cool aid because of the clarity and the brilliant colors the wine produces. And I still dont have a filter other than father time. Dont let that carboy get lonely get another batch going PS on the Island mist type kits you can use half the f pack at primary fermantation for more alcohol. I just did a raspberry merlot got flavor and kick just have to let do its thing in the bottle for a few months.

OW:

Great tip on the use of the "F Pack" Makes sense though, all that sugar will just turn into alcohol and the remaining half should be just enough sweetener without it getting "sicky sweet" eh?
smiley20.gif
Like I said: this forum is like a living encyclopedia for wine makers.

Chianti is really rocking this morning. It really didn't take long for things to get working. I pitched the yeast around 8:30 yesterday morning and by dinner time .......... bubble bubble toil and trouble.
smiley4.gif

I've a green apple reisling to start as soon as I rack the chianti into a carboy later in the week. Will try either your f-pack trick or George offered an extra couple of pounds of sugar dissolved in waterwill get it kicking as well. Great hobby and even greater folks on this forum.

Oh yea, my inventory of home made wine: 27 bottles of WB shiraz. Hmmmm what happened to the other three????
smiley9.gif

Pepere said:
Chateauneuf du Pape is a french trademark name so they had to rename the wine veaux chateau du Roi. Loosely translated the kings old castle or chateau. You should be able to find a nice Chateauneuf du Pape in a good wine store.

Comparative wine? Hmmm a very bold red beaujolais that has aged welland a bit heavier I think.

While the kit I tasted was young it still came off very nicely. I suspect it will really become more complex after a year in the bottle. Hope this helps and I think you will enjoy the kit.

Chateauneuf du Pape is one of my favorite types of french wine! Go Southern Rhone! It means New House of the Pope, and Vieux Chateau du Roi means Old house of the king. I love how these wine kit manufacturers come up with names! ANY VCdR kit is awesome and really should not be consumed before at least 6 months in the bottle.

There really is not much that will compare to a Chateauneuf, BUT, most wine stores should be carrying some, since 2003 and 2004 were excellent years for the Rhone region.

Dean: thanks for the clarification. I wasn't fully aware of Chateauneuf aka vieux chateau, that is until I had the opportunity to sample it recently. I am a new fan. Pinot Noir has always been my first choice but my experiance with the "old house" has me wanting to give it a try especially once I have a few kits under my belt that you can enjoy while they are young. I think the biggest challange to a home wine maker is leaving the bottles of the high end kits alone until they've put on some age.

I have a WE Selection Chateau Du Roi that I just stabalized and racked to bulk age. I will try to let it age at least a year, even though Linda (my Wife), says it tastes pretty good now. Luckily, we have a few hundred bottles of lesser quality wines to drink in the mean time.
smiley1.gif

Dave: Thanks for the input on the Chateau Du Roi! As soon as I get this Chianti out of the primary (it's smellingintoxicating by the way
smiley36.gif
)and the Green Apple Reisling started I intend to order a Chateau and let it sit at least 9 months to a year to age. I hope byFall to be in the cabin, which has a wonderful basement for my wine hobby. The boss has informed me that I have exactlly 1/3 of the basement to convert into my hobby room/ wine cellar. Of course she gets to drink the benefits of my hard labors so it becomes a fair trade off.
smiley36.gif

Since you're that far ahead on the chateau I'll be interested to hear how it ages and what it's like in another 6 months.......or sooner. Think you can hold out that long????
smiley5.gif

Even if I have to buy a lock and throw away the key.
smiley17.gif
Maybe a DO NOT OPEN TILL X-MASS sign.
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back