An Unplanned Batch of Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
33 lbs. Muscadines

10 lbs. Sugar

1-1/4 tsp Liquid. Pectic Enzyme

6 tsp. Yeast Nutrient

2 tsp. Yeast Energizer

5/8 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite

3 oz Calcium Carbonate

1 Package Montrachet Yeast
Monday evening I was greeted upon arriving home from work with a chest freezer of half thawded meats, veggies and 33lbs. of Muscadines.
smiley7.gif
I moved the muscadines to the fridge where they continued thawing until Tuesday evening. I processed them using the ole mash em up in a zip loc bag method and ended up with almost 2-1/2 gallons Muscadine juice. I placed them in a freshly sanitized pair of panty hose and into the primary fermenter they went. Boiled 2 gallon water, dissolving my 10 lbs sugar in it. Cooled it down, poured into my fermenter along with Potassium Metabisulfite, Nutrient, Energizer and Calcium Carbonate which I had dissolved good in some of the Muscadine juice. I added another gallon water, stirred the must well and let it sit until the next evening. I gave the must anoter good stirring, adding the Pectic Enzyme and then checked the SG of the must which was at 1.102. The acidity was still a bit high upon tasting so I dissolved another ounce of Calcium Carbonate and added it to the must, stirring well. I let this sit until Thursday evening, Gave it all another good stirring, checked SG and it was still right on 1.102, the acidity, by taste was just right so I rehydrated my yeast in warm water and then pitched it to the must. This morning, them yeasties were already hard at work.

20070511_010809_DSCN0001.JPG

That's a shame about the freezer Waldo. The Muscadine wine I know is going to be good. Not sure how the meat wine would turn out though. Better have a Barbeque instead!

Sorry to hear about your freezer Waldo, I hear they make good planters though. At least you have set your priorities straight, save the muscadine, put the meat in the fridge till the weekend and trash the veggies.............................

Funny however, I never noticed you adding calcium carbinate. I bought some when I was getting ready to make my last batch because I was compairing my first batch to a commercial bottle. Mine was acidic, but the commercial was not, yet had more muscadine flavor. I opened another bottle last night of the commercial and thought to myself, when I get ready to do the muscadines I have in my freezer, I'm going to concentrate it a little more and use the calcium carbonate to cut the acid. Be interested to hear how yours turns out. Looks good so far.

I "MUST" be seeing things this AM. It looks like Waldo stuffed one of the Grumpy Old Muppets in the stocking. I can see his head showing through- look on the left side. There are his googly eyes, nose , mouth and big chin!
smiley36.gif

20070511_054742_20070511_010809.jpg
Edited by: appleman

Thats just your excuse to make another batch of Muscadines, now plug it back in Waldo!!!!!
smiley36.gif

Waldo, You are a talented wine maker but way too rough on your nylons

I'm the only person I know who has wine with runners in it
smiley36.gif

The Muscadine continues fermenting strongly. Is beginning to extract that rich color and Muscadine flavor
20070512_012119_fermenting_musc.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo, looking good there buddy.

Have you tried using different yeast yet on all these batches that you make ? Have you noticed a difference in flavor?

A question about Muscadines. Did I read that Muscadines are high in pectin???
I see you used the enzyme. Basicly, I am wondering if the enzyme is left for mor than 24 hours before pitching, if the enzime will be more effective.

jobe05 said:
Waldo, looking good there buddy.

Have you tried using different yeast yet on all these batches that you make ? Have you noticed a difference in flavor?

I have jobe and after all my experiments I have keyed in on the Montrachet as the yeast of choice in overall balance of the finished wine. It yields a better color, nose and taste than any of the others I have tried.

scotty said:
A question about Muscadines. Did I read that Muscadines are high in pectin???
I see you used the enzyme. Basicly, I am wondering if the enzyme is left for mor than 24 hours before pitching, if the enzime will be more effective.

You are correct scotty, the Muscadine is high in pectin but as to whether it would benifit from an extended exposure to the enzyme before pitching the yeast I cannot say. I do know however that I have yet to have a problem with pectin haze on any of the batches I have done just using the standard recommended amount of time. There is an excellen article on Muscadines published by the University of Arkansas that I would highly recommend for anyone interested in Muscadines.
http://www.uark.edu/depts/agripub/Publications/bulletins/974.pdf

Thats great reading Waldo, Ilike what I read so far. Will have to print that one.

I don't know if Steaming the juice would be an equivlant to what they consider "Hot Press" Vs "Cold Press", but based on their findings for taste and color, steaming, or Hot Press is the way to go. I should have ordered more Carlos also.....................

That was what sold me on going ahead and getting my steamer jobe. My niece has it borrowed right now or I would have steamed this batch I have going now. I have enough left from last year in my freezer in the shop to do one more batch so I hope mine & Boyd's Musacdines do well this year.

Waldo, I am excited to keep watching this thread, But I havetwo questions about the panty hose thing. I read everywhere that people put thier fresh fruit in a straining bag and leave it in the primary while doing it work, then squeeze it out when transferring to the carboy ,(Right?). Well one question is that when I made my very first batch from the concordes in my backyard I just mushed them in the primary and left them the way they were in the primary, when finishedI used a straining bag and poured the must into a new primary through the straining bag, then squeezed the remains and discarded the mush so to speak at that time, so my question is which way would u suggest woud be easier or does it matter ? Second question is how did you sanitize the hose and what do u use to tie them so nothing escapes and has it ever produced a run (lol) or broken on you when stirring ever?
Thanks

Back