An Unplanned Batch of Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo,
I revisited this thread because I'll be getting some muscadines next weekend and I want to be prepared!!! I think you probably saw the pictures of the vines up in the trees out at my friends ranch. Her husband is going to climb up there this weekend and pick them as they are nice and purple. The first question I have, and I'm sure I will have lots more, is will they be ok from the time they are picked on Sat. or Sun until the time I receive them and get them home on Monday evening. Is there anything you would suggest after picking as to how they should be stored to keep them from breaking down. I don't want my friend to go to any extra work to preserve them. What do you suggest until I get my hands on them.

Thank you Professor!!! Ramona

I would sure have him get them refrigrated as soon as he can. They don't need to be frozen but it would be better if he could and you could keep them frozen until you get home with them. If not, just keep them as cool as possible. Even putting them in zip loc bags in an ice chest would suffuice. I can't believe they are already ripeningdown there. We don't get them here for another month or so.

Ramona, I agree with Waldo, Keep them cool. Although not the end of the world if they are not for a day or 2, they will degrade in heat, I see that a lot at local flea and farmers markets around here.

Probably more importantly, is don't rush the grape (or cousin thereof). If they are not completely ripe, they don't make a good, rich flavorful wine, it will just be a sweet, blush colored water. Ripe is the key! Brix is a good way to find out ripeness, most Muscadines will be about 19 Brix, Or you can just study by taste. Taste a few that look different, like a deep puple, almost black one against one that is lighter in color, taste the difference. That will tell you not to pick the lighter colored ones right now, give them a week or two. One sign of them beginning to ripen is they will start to fall off the vine. If your friend doesn't see any on the ground yet, they arn't ready.

Now, when you do get these............... make sure your camera is charged.

Also can't wait to see the label you come up with for this........... Might be another one I'll have to steal. Or maybe I'll take my 36 pounds of Muscadines out of the freezer and make a batch with ya!Edited by: jobe05

Waldo and Jobe,
Thank you for your advice. I'll have to let my friend know what you have said about the ripeness. I was wondering if they would be ripe enough. I should probably go and pick them my self but they are going to be out of town until the weekend when they plan to pick on Father's Day. They were starting to turn purple 2 weeks ago when I was out there so with all the sun and heat we have had they should be nice and ready. I'll keep you posted and I'll be asking lots of questions, I'm sure. Ramona

Latest posts

Back