An Unplanned Batch of Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20070514_180406_2muscadine_rack.JPG
Trigham said:
Waldo, I am excited to keep watching this thread, But I havetwo questions about the panty hose thing. I read everywhere that people put thier fresh fruit in a straining bag and leave it in the primary while doing it work, then squeeze it out when transferring to the carboy ,(Right?). Well one question is that when I made my very first batch from the concordes in my backyard I just mushed them in the primary and left them the way they were in the primary, when finishedI used a straining bag and poured the must into a new primary through the straining bag, then squeezed the remains and discarded the mush so to speak at that time, so my question is which way would u suggest woud be easier or does it matter ? Second question is how did you sanitize the hose and what do u use to tie them so nothing escapes and has it ever produced a run (lol) or broken on you when stirring ever?
Thanks

Trig. I prefer using the straining bag or panty hose in my case on the front end as it makes for a lot easier and cleaner job of racking. A quicker and neater cleanup. That is just my personal preference. As for sanitizing the panty hose, I just give them a good washing in my sanitizer. Wring them out and fill em up. I did have one batch where the hose busted on me and it was quite the mess at racking time. I just finished squeezing all the goodies I could from this batch this evening and racked to a carboy at an SG of 1.020. It is tasting quite good, acid seems to be about right and still quite yeasty smelling.

20070514_180218_muscadine_racke.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Thank you Waldo, Sorry I took so long getting back to you but I forgot to tag the post.
I thinkI may try that up front method next timeI do a fresh fruit. What did u use to tie the big end (waist) of the panty hose with (string?). also I see that your primary has a tap on the bottem of it. did it come that way, or did you add it? how do u get the last inch or two out when racking to the carboy? One more thing what is the funnel in the carboy with what looks like water there for?
Forgive me for so many questions but to learn I must ask!

Thanks
Trig

Trigham said:
Thank you Waldo, Sorry I took so long getting back to you but I forgot to tag the post.
Trig

Also Trigham if you go to Active Topics at the top of the page you get to see all the new Posts...
smiley2.gif

Northern Winos said:
Trigham said:
Trig

Also Trigham if you go to Active Topics at the top of the page you get to see all the new Posts...
smiley2.gif

So much to learn and so little time. I think I am hooked for sure!!
Thank you NV
smiley1.gif

i noticed the tap too--my italian valve leaks so i will never use that pail for a primary fermenter now. It will be just for bottling. I am being led to buy the 9 gallon primary from Krause and hope that the shut off mechanism has closer tolerancesis--(no leaking when it is in the off position.)

Trig, as far as getting the last bit out all you need to do is tip the
carboy. I have 1 on every primary as it makes life so much easier as
gravity does the job instead of siphoning. Great for bottling too. You
can buy the primaries with them or without and install you own. I
installed all my own. Some kits have you leave most of the lees behind
and this is really easy as you just dont tilt much.

wade said:
Trig, as far as getting the last bit out all you need to do is tip the carboy. I have 1 on every primary as it makes life so much easier as gravity does the job instead of siphoning. Great for bottling too. You can buy the primaries with them or without and install you own. I installed all my own. Some kits have you leave most of the lees behind and this is really easy as you just dont tilt much.

Wade I think I am a visual guy, I have to see things to absorb them properly. its a fault but I do learn that way. I should find someone close to me who actually does a lot of the things that get talked about on the forum and then I would be more comfortable with trying them on my own. what did u use to drill the holes, obviously there is a seal or washer on both sides to stop leakage? If i do try to drill it is there a set hight from bottom to put the tap?

Trig,

I figured outit's cheaper to buy a primary fermenter already drilled & tapped, with lid than to buy the individual components - much less the hassle of having to drill/install the tap.Edited by: bj4271

Waldo I just thought about something you mentioned at the beginning of the post. You used the ole mash and roll method to extract the juice. Was there a reason for this as opposed to steam extraction? How do you compare both methods now for flavors and body?

"I am being led to buy the 9 gallon primary from Krause and hope that the shut off mechanism has closer tolerances"

I have a 9 gal primary from that other place.I have to tell you I hate it and replaced it with a 7.9g from George. The pain comes in the cleaning. Let me explain if I can. The fermenter is a box shape; however, on the top edge, where the top screws into the box the flange is gluedon. Now when you turn the box over to empty it or rinse out the box, some of the fluid (wine, water, k-meta, elderberry seeds, yeast, whatever) gets into the little crack between the flange and the box. No matter how fast you flip it some gets in and when you turn it over, it falls back into the box. You can drain it from the spigot only, but it's a lot of work (especially for elderberry seeds or oak or anything other than fluid, even the lees are a challenge sometimes). If it weren't for the seem I would have kept using it. It fits on my counter better, the lid is screw on, it's more sturdy, it holds more, I have 2 actually and they are stackable. I used it for months with 16 or morekits. I would ensure that I only drained thru the spigot to make sure none got in the flange after teh first fewbut that always left some in the fermenter soI would have the spigot open and shake the box up and down until most of it went out the spigot, then I would use a wad of paper towels to sop up the last little bit. Lots of really good reasons but the designer forgot to clean one after making wine while testing the prototype. Being able to turn George's on it's side and rise out with the sink sprayer outweighed all the good stuff the other one had. My $.02.

I made a Piesporter in mine the very first wine and made the mistake of turning it over to empty it. I had elderberry seeds in the seem for many many batches. There may well be some in there now.

applemanWas there a reason for this as opposed to steam extraction? [/QUOTE said:
I think he said the steamer was on loan to someone in his family.

Trig I agree that it is easier to just buy a primary with the spout but
I already had 4 without, so I used a Forstner bit but could use a spade
bit. I went high enough to clear the surface of a table or floor + just
a little extra room to be safe. That works out just perfect for the
spigots I use and once you use one you will kick your self in the butt
for not getting 1 sooner! And yes they have a gasket on both sides and
do not overtighten them when installing. They just need to be snug and
they also swivel.

Edited by: wade

You are right Coaster, Waldo did say he had it on loan to his Niece. I missed that entry somehow....... Still would like to know if there is any perceivable difference between the two methods. Waldo? Edited by: appleman

Sorry appleman but I have been "under the weather" for the past few days. Thus far, I still prefer the steamed vs conventional. The overall wine seems to have more of the Muscaddine flavor, the color is deeper and richer though I do think the steamed juice is quicker to oxidize if not handled properly insofar as limiting exposure to the air once fermentation has slowed or completed. The nose of the steamed juice is definately better than the pressed. Hope this has answered your question and it's good to be back amongst friends. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired
smiley11.gif

Must be something to this Muscadine stuff, as I hear the Symphony everyone is raving about is a cross of Muscat and Grenache Gris grapes.

Waldo said:
I am sick and tired of being sick and tired
smiley11.gif

I hear you there Buddy. I had the Creeping Crudd earlier this year and it just seemed to hang on forever. Get over one symptom and two more would hit, then another and another....

Hope you feel 110% soon there Waldo.

Waldo: Sorry to hear that you are sick. I had a "head cold" as the doctor called it upon my 3rd visit. I was taking 3000 mg Amoxicillin and 800 mg Pseudovent per day, plus the usual Nyquil at night, Tylanol etc....... not to mention about 2 bags of cough drops per day.

After 3 weeks, someone said to take 1000 MG of Vitamin C, just once in the morning. I did and 2 days later, GONE!!!!!

JW: There is a big difference between Muscat Grapes and Muscadine's. Per Waldo, Muscadines are not Grapes..... and they arn't. They have a very musty, foxy flavor to them. They come in Bronze color to black color depending on te variety. In a few weeks I'll be starting another batch since I am out right now. You'll have to PM me your address when I get it done and I'll send ya a small bottle to try. Warning however..... Not everyone likes this flavor of wine. It has a flavor all of it's owne.Edited by: jobe05

Coaster said:
"I am being led to buy the 9 gallon primary from Krause and hope that the shut off mechanism has closer tolerances"

I have a 9 gal primary from that other place.I have to tell you I hate it and replaced it with a 7.9g from George. The pain comes in the cleaning. Let me explain if I can. The fermenter is a box shape; however, on the top edge, where the top screws into the box the flange is gluedon. Now when you turn the box over to empty it or rinse out the box, some of the fluid (wine, water, k-meta, elderberry seeds, yeast, whatever) gets into the little crack between the flange and the box. No matter how fast you flip it some gets in and when you turn it over, it falls back into the box. You can drain it from the spigot only, but it's a lot of work (especially for elderberry seeds or oak or anything other than fluid, even the lees are a challenge sometimes). If it weren't for the seem I would have kept using it. It fits on my counter better, the lid is screw on, it's more sturdy, it holds more, I have 2 actually and they are stackable. I used it for months with 16 or morekits. I would ensure that I only drained thru the spigot to make sure none got in the flange after teh first fewbut that always left some in the fermenter soI would have the spigot open and shake the box up and down until most of it went out the spigot, then I would use a wad of paper towels to sop up the last little bit. Lots of really good reasons but the designer forgot to clean one after making wine while testing the prototype. Being able to turn George's on it's side and rise out with the sink sprayer outweighed all the good stuff the other one had. My $.02.

I made a Piesporter in mine the very first wine and made the mistake of turning it over to empty it. I had elderberry seeds in the seem for many many batches. There may well be some in there now.

Ill take your advice about not trying the 9 gallon fermenter even though the screw on top and ist size still tempts me, but i still would like a spiggot that doesnt leak. The italian one is not very good. The installation is done to almost micrometer tollerances. I have read that others on this board also have leak problems wit the valve when it is in the off position.

Edited by: scotty

Latest posts

Back