American Wine Society Pittsburgh Conference

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations everyone, you guys all rock! For the locals who did not attend, I have to say you missed out on a good day of classes and drinking. Do not hesitate to go next year. I know I'll be back! It was worth it.

What people are saying...

By Elizabeth Downer / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Sunday, I spent an enjoyable and enlightening day with several hundred Pittsburgh wine enthusiasts and now I am boiling over with anger. Not with them, but with myself. I have been a fool to have wasted the past 11 years living in the United States by not being a member of the American Wine Society.
Sunday I joined on the spot, and every wine lover should consider doing the same. The object of this group is to educate members at all levels of wine knowledge. This conference was proof that AWS delivers. I can vouch for that because, after 30 years as a wine education professional, I learned a lot at its annual local conference, held at the Greater Pittsburgh Masonic Center in Ross.
The day began with four hours of classes focused on tasting and winemaking. AWS was founded in 1967 by Dr. Konstantin Frank, Finger Lakes grape-grower and winemaker, and today, the membership includes pros and hobbyists as well as amateur wine enthusiasts. I briefly joined a few of the technical winemaking classes, which were standing room only. Linda King, a winemaker and consultant from Yadkin Valley, N.C., delivered "Tips, Tricks and Timely Reminders." That group discussed yeast binding, bringing down high PH levels with tartaric acid addition, and cold stabilization among other technical topics.
Later I joined the classroom of Eric Miller, founder of Chaddsford Winery and author of "Vintner's Apprentice." He led us through a tasting of six wines from winemakers profiled in his book: Chardonnay from Willamette Valley, Ore.; Chenin Blanc from Nederburg, South Africa; Riesling from Mosel, Germany; Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon blend from St. Emillion, France; Carmenere from Aplata, Chile; and Shiraz from Coonawarra, Australia.
The next hour I spent "Discovering the Newest, Highest Awarded Appellation in California" with Alex Sebastian, proprietor of The Wooden Angel restaurant in Beaver and a respected wine judge. Surprisingly, the highest-awarded appellation in California is neither Napa nor Sonoma but Amador County in the Sierra Foothills AVA -- American Viticultural Area -- between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. Mr. Sebastian poured a tasting of four reds of that region made from a variety of grapes including Petit Syrah, Barbera, Carignan and Touriga.
For the next session I went to "Oregon -- Pinot Noir and Much More" presented by Jim Bernau, owner/winemaker at Willamette Valley Winery. He offered a tasting of four 2009 vintage pinots from different AVAs in the valley. His in-depth explanations of the different geological attributes of each sub-region made his tasting especially educational. My favorite was his Willamette Valley Vineyard Elton Vineyard Eola-Amity Hills Pinot Noir. Unfortunately, it isn't available in our state.
An important part of the AWS annual conference is a competition of home-produced wines. This year 139 wines were submitted for judging. One hundred and nine medals were awarded to 59 winemakers.
At 6 p.m. our jam-packed day was over. Tired but excited by all that I had learned, I drove home thinking about the egalitarian ambiance of the event. It was impossible to tell the bankers and doctors from the teachers and carpenters. No distinction made between very sophisticated tasters and neophytes. All participants were genuinely interested in learning more about wine.
The other wine groups I belong to dress in black tie and evening dresses to dine on elaborate meals and drink top vintage grand crus, but I don't think they enjoy themselves nearly as much.
Annual membership dues for the American Wine Society are $49 for an individual and $62 for two members at the same address.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...ivers-on-wine-education-678169/#ixzz2Mx9P7b3j

Anyone have an idea when we will be receiving the judging notes. Coming up on 4 weeks now.

I have not received either any of the notes or medals from my winning wines.... Hopefully they will be coming as I would like to see their judging results.

Al

Received an Email yesterday from Carol at the Pittsburgh Wine Competition that the medals & informational notes for all the winners should be mailed out some time next week. Can't wait to read the reviews & what the judges thought.....

Al :tz :db

Mailman just left, envelope with medals & notes from judges. Interesting on how they were judged & various comments. Really don't know how specific tastes & aromas can be picked out from the tasting. If you have ever seen the wine aroma wheel, it's amazing how many categories are there you can select.....
Will bring them to tomorrows get-together at Luva Bella.....

Al

Mailman just left, envelope with medals & notes from judges. Interesting on how they were judged & various comments. Really don't know how specific tastes & aromas can be picked out from the tasting. If you have ever seen the wine aroma wheel, it's amazing how many categories are there you can select.....
Will bring them to tomorrows get-together at Luva Bella.....

Al

Good Idea, I'll bring mine as well,

Hope mine are at home when I get there after work. Maybe tomorrow since I do not live in Pittsburgh may take another day until I get mine. How many judge notes did you get per bottle? I understand that 6 judges tasted each wine.

Saw initials of D W on only one of my papers. Guessing that was from Dan (Runningwolf).........
Made a copy of the Wine Aroma Wheel for those to see that have never seen one, interesting on all the various aromas that could be sensed from the wine.

Al

Mine came in Friday's mail also. Like the notes. I won 1 Gold, 2 Silver, and 1 Bronze. But when the medals came I got 1 Gold 1 Silver and 2 Bronze. Need to call and see about returning the Bronze for my Silver.

Got to read Doug's comments and see his medals, but I have a big problem that they can not spell winemaking??????

Seriously, these winemakers are very serious about entering their wines and very proud that they won medals and I hear that they can't spell and by wineon4, they can't even send the correct medal.

Sorry don't be to be so critical but really, these errors are just stupid and should never have happen.

The spelling error was comical, even if it was missed on the proof, one would think the company making them would know making is spelled MAKING not MAKIG.

Still a very good learning experience.

Doug, I agree the company who made the medals should have paid more attention BUT for American Wine Society to accept these medals that are misspelled is unacceptable!

My Gold has it spelled correctly but my Silver is misspelled and my Bronze is misspelled as is my Bronze that should be a SILVER is misspelled. So I have a misspelled wrong medal also HAHA

Plan to in the morning when I get into my office since that is the e-mail I used for the registration.

Has anyone emailed them to ask for replacements or to make them aware of the situation?

I haven't done so since I can't access that email from work and I haven't really signed on much in the evenings lately. I'll get around to it this week.

Need to at least let them know of the spelling error.

Latest posts

Back