Mosti Mondiale Amarone topper-upper

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
I need to rack my just under 5 gallons of fresh juice Amarone. Can I use my own Lambrusco or Pinot Noir to top it up or should I bite the bullet and buy some Amarone?

If your just adding a little then either would be fine, if you need to add a lot then I would probably either use the marbles to make up the difference or buy a commercial Valpolicella as I believe its the closest without buying a $50 bottle of Amarone just to top up with unless you just want to use a little and then drink the rest if you have never tried a commercial Amarone.

I would probably buy a Magnum of Valpolicella if it were me seeing as how you are already down approx. 1 1/4 gallons.

I just use any type dry red wine. I have a VR Cabernet I didn't care much for. I use it to top dry reds.

I just went through this with my Amarone, Barolo and Carmenere. I normally use a like wine but this time I decided to use marbles. I bought bulk marbles, washed them, sanitized and poured them in. It seemed to work well. I have not moved the carboy yet so I don't know what they do to the weight.

Cheers,

Doug

I haven't decided what to top up mine with. I will probably taste again in a few days when I rack it to see what would best match it. I will see if I have something from the fresh grape line to add to it since this was a fresh/frozen must to begin with.

After all the trouble to get those, think I would go to a 3 gal carboy and couple of 1 gal's, top up the last with marbles. Wouldn't want to dilute with anything.

I was sort of thinking about that to. I always get an extra carboy here and there for this reason but always end up filling it with something and have no extra carboys when neeeded!
smiley29.gif

txclifton said:
I just went through this with my Amarone, Barolo and Carmenere. I normally use a like wine but this time I decided to use marbles. I bought bulk marbles, washed them, sanitized and poured them in. It seemed to work well. I have not moved the carboy yet so I don't know what they do to the weight.

Cheers,

Doug

I've never heard of this approach and am wondering if you just by "normal" marbles and sanitize them with K/Na Meta before use or if there's some special type of marbles.

The best marbles to buy for this are sold at pet stores for fish tanks as they are non porous and yes just sanitize them with k-meta and let them roll down the side of the carboy while it is slightly tilted instead of just dropping them straight down as the sound of them hitting the bottom will make you cringe in fear.

Edited by: wade

A smaller carboy is a good investment also. I like to have a few various sizes around like 6's, 5's, 3's, 1's and 3 liter bottles.

Glad to hear that, now you know exactly what the wine will taste like without wondering how much you have changed it with topping up.

Good choice Joan.

I have never tried the Marble trick, to afraid of glass breakage when the marbles are put in the carboy. I usually rack down to the next carboy size and a few extra smaller bottles.

The problem is Jobe we are just under 5 gallons and the next step down is 3 gallons plus 1 gallon plus 3 or 4 bottles all with airlocks. Easier to just add marbles or another bottle of something.

I have no idea how many marbles!!! I didn't count! I used almost all of 2 bags of clear glass marbles I bought at JoAnn Fabric a year or so ago.

Jobe, they "plink" when they hit the bottom but the wine slows them down enough so it's okay.
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back