Mosti Mondiale Amarone Meglioli progress

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack on Rainy

Reaction score
How are your Amarones coming along?
I just tasted the one we started 4/2/08which got 7 weeks extended lees contact and am wondering how others are faring with this wine.

At tasting this morning, the KT smell was allI could smell at first. I let it sit and hour and then tasted. It was surprisingly fruit forward, little acid,little tannin butsome oak was present. Color is fabulous. The winesheets the glass and feels smooth in the mouth. No bouquet yet. I thought I would sense more flavorbalance but fruity might be good too. It's pretty good at this point. Hmmm....

I am thinking ofletting this set on dark oak for a while but would appreciate thoughts from you formum members before I do that.

Jack I am beginning to wonder what you smell that you describe as KT. You are the first person I have heard of that can detect this in a Mosti Kit. Is it possible that you are just smelling a young wine smell? I can definitely get the KT thing going on with most red WE kits but have never detected even a hint of it in the Mosti kits. I have not done the Meglioli, but have done Fresh Juice, All Juice, Rennaisance and Vinifera Noble kits and never detected KT. Is it possible that what you detect is C02 or some other gas? Just a thought for exploring.

KT to me is the smell of chemicals and the cloying sweetness at the very front of the taste of the wine. I find that all of my kits have had the smell early, all of my red wines have had the tasteto some degree, including Mosti, but Mosti to a leeserdegree. All of my premium WE one year old reds still have it and my 6 month old red Mostis have some too.I am hoping it does go away as others have assured me it will with time.
BTW I have made Mosti, AJ, ME, and Meglioli but notthe frozen juice yet.

Appleman, I appreciate your posts, thanks!

It would be interesting to have you make a Frozen Must wine or one from fresh grapes to see if those would have the same properties to you. If they did, it wouldn't be the true Kit Taste(KT) you are sensing, since those wouldn't be kits. It is said that they develop this taste as the result of pasteurization. Hence if the juice wasn't ever pasteurized, it shouldn't have KT. Then if things tasted the same to you, it would be something else causing the sensations.

I like the others think that this should lessen with time in your reds.

I plan to do a frozen must or two this fall. Should be a good experiment!

BTW how do you describe KT?

To me the KT is a sweet cotton candy flavor at the front. The smell seems to carry this and hits me at initial tasting. It tends to mask the true flavors and aromas of the wine. To me the worst offenders are the WE Mist Kits. Folks that can't detect it love them, it takes about a year for me to enjoy them.
I wish you lived closer, I would get you some fresh grapes or must to try.

Jack, try and find a Kosher wine near you to try, you would be looking for one that is "Meshuval", most U.S. Kosher wines are this. See if you taste the same taste in it, as it to would be pasteurized. That would tell you if it is from the process of the must being pasteurized.

By the way, I dont plan on opening a Meglioli untill Jan 09 if I can hold out, interesting to see your notes on its development.Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

Jack, I found my All Juice Amarone to be very fruit forward when young, but with time it developed into a very good and complex wine. It is about 15 months old now and quite good.

Wait until this time next year. We just opened our 18 month old Barolo and it is as good as any $40 barolo in the store. I can't believe how it has improved in 6 months. The aromas take about 6 months to develop.

George,
I hope that is the Meglioli Gran Barolo you are talking about. I pitched yeast in that one 8/8 this year and the must was mouth-watering.

It is, but mine was 1 year older. I talked with Nino, president of Mosti, today and told him how good it was. I could see his pride through the phone.

Latest posts

Back