Am I crazy...another batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

China-Clipper

Reaction score
43da97f7-af38-469c-b6ef-0fe93c1b69f8.jpg

Well, I'm new to this wine-making thing. I started a 6 gallons of Winexpert California Pinot Noir a month ago; and, a 5 gallon batch of Apple from cider about three weeks ago. Now I'm considering a batch of Dragon's Blood for this month. The thing is, the time before drinking my wine is killing me. As everybody is recommending 6 months before drinking it, am I getting too far ahead by starting another batch? It seems everybody has multiple batches going at the same time.

Last edited:
photos

Well, I'm new to this wine-making thing. I started a 6 gallons of Winexpert California Pinot Noir a month ago; and, a 5 gallon batch of Apple from cider about three weeks ago. Now I'm considering a batch of Dragon's Blood for this month. The thing is, the time before drinking my wine is killing me. As everybody is recommending 6 months before drinking it, am I getting too far ahead by starting another batch? It seems everybody has multiple batches going at the same time.

Dear Lord, no!!!! get as many as you can started!!!!!!!!!!! :br

photos

Yes it is addicting. I hate to see an empty carboy. I have three 5 gallons of white wine to be bottled tomorrow with my brother, ( Vignoles and Diamond). Spiced apple, cranberry, and Mojito skeeter pee clearing on deck.:slp

Like Julie said, make as much as you can because when its ready youll have an assortment and not just 1 batch. Having 1 batch will result in it getting drunk too early and not getting a chance to age at all before its all gone.

I have consumed more wine in the last 6 mos, then the last 3 years.
It just something about having it all sitting in the rack, just waiting to be opened.

Rick, I've been at this a year and a few weeks and now with 9 kits under my belt I'm beginning to acquire a stash. 7 of the 9 have been 4-week kits which makes them early(ier) drinkers. Have read here how making DB can be a way of getting something to consume while other stuff is aging. Good luck!

Rick, I've been at this a year and a few weeks and now with 9 kits under my belt I'm beginning to acquire a stash. 7 of the 9 have been 4-week kits which makes them early(ier) drinkers. Have read here how making DB can be a way of getting something to consume while other stuff is aging. Good luck!

Bill, as a matter of fact I was just reading the DB thread; I was at Wal-Mart the other day and priced out the mixed frozen berries. I'm thinking of doing a 6-gallon batch. My wife wants me to try and do a batch of WinExpert Island Mist...for summertime. I have two empty primary buckets just sitting here staring at me. ;)

Bill, as a matter of fact I was just reading the DB thread; I was at Wal-Mart the other day and priced out the mixed frozen berries. I'm thinking of doing a 6-gallon batch. My wife wants me to try and do a batch of WinExpert Island Mist...for summertime. I have two empty primary buckets just sitting here staring at me. ;)

Go for it!

Two buckets going at the same time and I'd be afraid people might start talking about me. :dg :d ;)

43da97f7-af38-469c-b6ef-0fe93c1b69f8.jpg

No not if u go with dragon blood. Make that first then the longer aging stuff so you'll have something to drink while waiting for the other stuff. That's why I started making it and I've been happy with it so far!

Go for it!

Two buckets going at the same time and I'd be afraid people might start talking about me. :dg :d ;)

So give them something to talk about! I actually have more friends and my family visits me at my rural home more often because they know when I'm making lots of wine! Lol it's like the kid with the candy - everyone wants to be his friend! That's until it's all gone of course, so keep a stash going all the time! Now I'm not saying that no one likes me when I don't have any wine to share lol

In like the big L shaped counter with all the shelf space underneath! Nice!

Haha I must be crazy too. Got a wine making kit for Xmas from the inlaws... After I started my barolo I had to go out and buy 4 more carboys ;)

I now have a barolo, a Riesling and a skeeter pee all going and will be ready for bottling next weekend! The best part of the whole experience so far is sneaking sips during every stage and seeing how much the flavors change!

For example, skeeter pee was AMAZING at about 1.010 SG. now that it's dry at 0.090, it tastes a lot different (and I don't like it too much). I will certainly have to back sweeten (as the instructions tell me to)

Another great finding is with my barolo... Literally every day the taste developed into more and more of my personal likings. It's clearing now, and I just stole a sip today when racking to a clean carboy and I believe it is the 2nd best wine I've ever tastes (1st being a $40 Italian 10 year old barolo)

I've always wanted to make wine to "save money", hah! I think I'm going to spend the same amount, of not more and just become an alcoholic!! Haha :)

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

It's funny, when I first wandered into the Beer & Wine Hobby store I figured I'd make one kit and most likely another a year or so later. Here it is less than two months and I'm starting my third batch. I'm going to have to get a truck load of bottles; I tried having my friends save them but there's no way I'm going to have enough come bottling time. I guess I'll see what the cheapest ones by the case are at the brew shop.

Rick,
IF you have any local wineries that have tasting rooms, ask them what they do with their bottles, usually there will be a fairly large recycle bin that you can raid with their permission, I also got bottles from restaurants, but then I got very much tired of removing labels so I started buying cases of bottles.

As for bottles, I just put out a note to all my family, friends, and neighbors to save empty wine bottles for me. My neighbors have taken to just dropping their empty bottles on my front porch. It makes for amusing surprise every morning when I leave for work!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back