Mosti Mondiale All Juice vs Masters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorttdogg

Junior
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm torn between the All Juice Barolo vs. Masters Gran Barolo. (I'm in Canada, so unfortunately it doesn't make sense to order from Fine Vine Wines) Does anyone have any experience tasting both? Like everything, I'm sure this is a case of "you get what you pay for", however my motives are slightly different this time around. I'll be making quite a bit of wine from fresh grapes this coming fall, and so I'm looking to make some kits that will get me through until those wines are ready. The only reason I'm not considering the Meglioli is the time it takes for the product to reach full maturity. I'm looking for the highest quality product that will be ready to drink after ~ 6m-12m of bottle aging, and therefore leaning towards the All Juice.

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome shorttdogg. Glad you stopped by here. I can't compare the two kits side by side, but I haven't been dissapointed in any of the all juice kits. I would think they would mature a bit faster than the Masters kits, so if you are after quicker wines, I would go with the All Juice.

Where in Canada are you from? What kind of grapes are you getting or are you in one of those few areas where you can grow them?Edited by: appleman

appleman said:
Welcome shorttdogg. Glad you stopped by here. I can't compare the two kits side by side, but I haven't been dissapointed in any of the all juice kits. I would think they would mature a bit faster than the Masters kits, so if you are after quicker wines, I would go with the All Juice.

Where in Canada are you from? What kind of grapes are you getting or are you in one of those few areas where you can grow them?

Thanks Appleman!

I'm about an hour away from Niagara, and have access to some very high quality fruit. My plan for the upcoming crush is as follows:

1) Barrel Fermented Chardonnay (100% Niagara)

2) Pinot Noir (100% Niagara)

3) Bordeaux Blend:
40% Cabernet Sauvignon (66% Niagara, 33% California)
40% Merlot (66% Niagara, 33% California)
20% Cab Franc (100% Niagara)

4) Possibly a Riesling (100% Niagara)

5) Possibly a Sangiovese (100% California)

Niagara produces excellent Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Franc. I find other single varietal Bordeaux grapes (Merlot, Cab Sauv) to lack the fruit I look for in a full bodied red, hence the intention to throw in some Central Coast California grapes. Unfortunately the Cali stuff is really hit or miss apparently (this will be my first time working with grapes but I have joined a club of very experienced winemakers) but I think it should level off some of the acidity typically present in Niagara fruit and add in some of the "new world" components I'm looking for.

I'm also buying a new oak barrel, and will cycle the Chard, Bordeaux Blend and then the Pinot through it over the next couple of years.

Thats the plan, anyway.
smiley9.gif

Yup, you are from one of those few regions in Canada to supply good quality grapes. It sounds like you have some good sound advice going on in the wine club. Be sure to fill us in next autumn when you get ready to fement these. I live about an hour south of Montreal int the Champlain Valley of New York and we can't grow those varieties here for the most part. I have to make do with what will grow here- mostly American and French-American crosses and some of the newer cold hardy varieties out of Cornell and Univ. of Minn.

Here's wishing you good luck and great wine.

Latest posts

Back