Alexander's grenache rose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyiswine

Reaction score
I had a gift certificate to use and picked up a can of Alexander's grenache rose'. The standard recipe says it will make 2.5 gallons. Seems like an odd size so I was thinking I could add a little "something" to it and get it into a 3 gallon batch. I had a couple ideas for additions...jam, canned juice, pie filling??? Just ideas. The goal is to ferment the batch dry and have a light 10-11% dry rose'. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Hmmm...no suggestions... maybe I will just try it by the book and use a couple 1 gallon jugs. If anyone has any ideas please chime in.

As hot as it is (approaching 100F), a rose sounds good. I can't help with your question, but your post reminded me that I have a bottle of Coppola's "Sofia" rose in the fridge. Thanks for deciding what I'm drinking tonight. :dg

I might change my mind but now I am thinking I will just make the rose' per the recipe on the can and maybe make some other can wines like cherry or raspberry so I can blend and tweak.

I mixed up the rose and was going to pitch the yeast tomorrow but I am out of acid blend. I will be going to pick some up tomorrow as the flavor of the juice is light on acid. Also it seems a bit low on flavor. Not really surprised but I guess my first idea was more correct that I should add a little something to bump the flavor. I don't want to back sweeten as I want a dry wine so maybe I will just drop in some fresh or frozen berries of some kind. I will make a lap through the produce section and see if I can be inspired.

Make sure you write down what you do. Otherwise we will be hearing that was the best wine ever. Wonder how I can make it again. Been there done that. LOL, Arne.

If you can mix and stir up a can of Alexander concentrate, then accurately taste test that raw juice for acid level, you need to be more than a hobby wine maker.

If you can't properly test for acid level (TA), I would not add any acid blend, unless the Alexander instructions specifically tell you to do so.

Wait until the wine is finished and clear and do a taste test for acid level. After all, it is the taste that really counts. If at that late stage it needs more acid, add straight tartaric acid, not acid blend.

Arne and robie great suggestions. Arne, Yes I wrote down the recipe in the hope it turns out. Robie I dont yet have the equipment to test for acid but i knew it was low by taste. Had a very "flat-honey-raisin" taste. I picked up some acid blend today and added to taste. Came out to 5 tsp. For this batch. It may need a touch more after ferment but the frozen raspberries I added had a good acid zip to them. Kind of driving blind on this one without equipment to test pH and acid but my good old taste tester (myself) thinks its close enough so in goes the yeast. They used to make pretty good wine before electronic testers came along so lets see how this batch goes. Time will tell.

Back