Airlock went dry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkentert

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm SURE this has been answered at some point, but I couldn't find an answer searching. I have a red kit that I put on at the beginning of december. I just went to do a final rack, and the airlock was dry (3 piece airlock). It doesn't appear to me that the wine spoiled - Is that possible? I'm guessing it's been liquid free for at least a week - maybe two. Is it because that type of airlock seals to a degree even without water? Any input?
I guess I'm really just second guessing my taste….
Thanks,
Kevin

I like the S- style locks better myself, I can take a quick glance at them weekly. They do make waterless air locks - but I have never tried them yet.

As far as your wine goes - you should be ok - just give it a bit more sulfite.

Is it to late for someone else to try a taste? My guess that if only one or two weeks you're probably okay.

I've now started to BU using Saran Wrap "air locks" with a few rubber bands to help in insuring an airtight seal. The Saran seems to stretch some to compensate for changes in air pressure.

Read up on polyclar 10. I used it when the same thing happened to me. One of my BLOG entries covers what happened. The comments cover Polyclar 10.

Read up on polyclar 10. I used it when the same thing happened to me. One of my BLOG entries covers what happened. The comments cover Polyclar 10.

Thanks! On reading your post, I thought the red wine looked a bit brown - I guess that's the air getting to it? I think it tastes fine. I put it in a carboy…maybe i'll try to rectify it. I think it still tastes fine.
Thanks everyone!

Hey all,
I'm SURE this has been answered at some point, but I couldn't find an answer searching. I have a red kit that I put on at the beginning of december. I just went to do a final rack, and the airlock was dry (3 piece airlock). It doesn't appear to me that the wine spoiled - Is that possible? I'm guessing it's been liquid free for at least a week - maybe two. Is it because that type of airlock seals to a degree even without water? Any input?
I guess I'm really just second guessing my taste….
Thanks,
Kevin

It all depends. Was the container (carboy?) full? Was it a red? did you at any point add the recommended dose of k-meta. If the answer to all of these questions is "yes", then I would guess that your wine is OK. You may want to dose your wine with k-meta at this point.

I like the S- style locks better myself, I can take a quick glance at them weekly. They do make waterless air locks - but I have never tried them yet.

As far as your wine goes - you should be ok - just give it a bit more sulfite.

Waterless airlocks are the way to go! I still use my S type for fermentation. but once I do my second racking a waterless airlock goes on and stays until I bottle. I am called away at a moments notice, and sometimes required to be in the field for extended periods. With the waterless airlocks, month without babysitting my wine is no big deal. The vapor let off pressure is a bit higher than with a bubble lock. As such natural degassing takes a bit longer, but if you vacuum pump rack it all comes out the same.

Latest posts

Back