Air space in carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jody

Reaction score
I am transferring my 23L batch of red wine into the carboy from the bucket(after 7 days of primary fermentation) now that the specific gravity is .998.

I am transferring into a Better Bottle that is 22.7L. Is it okay that there will be no air space (other than whats in the neck) in the carboy?

I have used this carboy before in this stage and it was quite a pain as the carboy can't be moved easily when it is full without the wine overflowing. I plan to transfer to my glass carboy after a few more weeks for degassing and clearing, which has amble space to do this.

I want to utilize the two carboys I have (Better Bottle and my glass one) so that I don't have to transfer back into the bucket for my next rack, as I want to use my bucket for another batch.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Plug your bung hole when it is time to move your BB, I think that will work. I'm able to move my BBs with bung in place and no plug and do so without any spillage. Even with a full into, the neck, BB it is pretty hard to splash up and through the about 3/8" bung airlock hole.

Last edited:
My plastic and glass carboys are always filled while they sit in crates. The plastic is not deformed when I lift or carry them so there is no spillage, and with glass, a crate is easier to lift and move and so there is far less risk of the glass slipping and smashing on the floor.

Great! Thanks for answering my question and also thanks for the great tips.

My plastic and glass carboys are always filled while they sit in crates. The plastic is not deformed when I lift or carry them so there is no spillage, and with glass, a crate is easier to lift and move and so there is far less risk of the glass slipping and smashing on the floor.

I have a hauler sling that I'll sometimes use with my glass carboys but never thought to use it with my plastic carboys. I think it should work...

$_3.JPG

Latest posts

Back