Air Locks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbryda203

Reaction score
I notice that there are two different types. The S type and the 3 piece. What is the difference and what one would you prefer

I like the three piece types personally. They are easier to clean and control for me. I also like the sound of the three piece air locks. They are a symphony in my wine room. I keep a spray bottle of k-meta solution and weekly can spritz new solution into the airlock without removing it.

I personally like the 3 piece when going thru fermenation - because they are easier to clean. But for bulk aging I prefer the S- shaped, because I can look at them at a glance and make sure that there is a difference of pressure in the carboy. That tells me that I have a working and a tight fitting air lock and less chance of my wine being spoiled by air.

I hope that helps you.

I personally like the 3 piece when going thru fermenation - because they are easier to clean. But for bulk aging I prefer the S- shaped, because I can look at them at a glance and make sure that there is a difference of pressure in the carboy. That tells me that I have a working and a tight fitting air lock and less chance of my wine being spoiled by air.

I hope that helps you.

how can u tell the difference in pressure?

The fluid in the S shaped air lock will typicall never be at the same level - if they are you proubly have a leak. When the pressure changes in the carboy or temperature increases it will expand the wine - causing less head space forcing the airlock to be uneven and it goes for the same in the opposite direction as well.

3 types...I just got a few dry airlocks. Look like a silicone stopper with a silicone flap ofer some vent holes. Gas can get out but air cant get back in. I will try one on my next batch.

Personally, I like the S-shape because I can see what is going on at a glance. Also, it has been my experience that the 3-piece tends to dry up faster than the S-shape. I understand that the S-shape is harder to clean, but I figure, choose your poison. I do agree with vacuumpumpman that the 3-piece is good for primary and secondary fermentation, but not for bulk aging.

I have both. The 3 piece fits into my base cabinet better for bulk aging. The S type does show pressure difference better though. Either works, both are simple, get a few of each - it's a good excuse to get another carboy to fit under each one.

Personally, I like the S-shape because I can see what is going on at a glance. Also, it has been my experience that the 3-piece tends to dry up faster than the S-shape. I understand that the S-shape is harder to clean, but I figure, choose your poison. I do agree with vacuumpumpman that the 3-piece is good for primary and secondary fermentation, but not for bulk aging.

Dang Rocky you took the words right out of my mouth again. I agree with everything he said. I only use s type.

I have to agree with the S-shape, at a glance, I can see the difference in pressure.

4th type.

There's also a "bong" type where a 1/4 line feeds into a jar with water. The advantage is you can run several lines from several Demi's into one jar. Often called a "poor mans airlock".

But I prefer the S type.

I have mostly better bottles and I have to say I'm digging these dry locks. They are expensive but I bought most of my BB stuff on Black Friday during sales. I've also run some tests with these air locks. First I ran a line from the dry lock into a ziplock bag of water taped to the carboy. Then I lifted the bottle by the neck. There was no back pull at all. I don't know if I would trust them for bulk aging without running lines into water but for primary and initial secondary I'm digging them. Until I have something fail I see no reason to change what's working.

I do have both the other types and for me I prefer the 3 piece.

3 types...I just got a few dry airlocks. Look like a silicone stopper with a silicone flap ofer some vent holes. Gas can get out but air cant get back in. I will try one on my next batch.

These are called fermenting bungs. I use them on barrels. I use three part on carboys and hate the S type because if the cleaning issue.

These are called fermenting bungs. I use them on barrels. I use three part on carboys and hate the S type because if the cleaning issue.

I truly respect your views, Tony, but I don't understand why so many people cite "cleaning issues" with the S-type airlock. I wash mine out with hot water, make sure the cap and outside clean and I don't worry too much about the inside. When I assemble them in a stopper, I spritz the stopper and the airlock with k-meta solution. In operation, it has a strong k-meta (3 T/gallon of water) solution in it so it seems to me it would be like worrying about growing bacteria in a bottle of alcohol. What am I missing?

I don't understand why so many people cite "cleaning issues" with the S-type airlock.
I don't know Rocky, I guess I just find it hard to shake all the K-Meta solution out of the S type to replace with fresh. Then I think (erroneously I now understand) that the water level should always be even in the two bubbles or something must be wrong. I'll swap out an S type today and give it another try. So when the level is uneven do you thump it to get it back even or leave it alone?

The uneven level indicates that the pressure is greater on one side or the other. It does not bother me but it is good to know that there is either pressure coming from inside the carboy or from outside the carboy. When the levels are even, i.e. indicating that there is equal pressure, it could indicate that the stopper is loose and leaking air.

Last edited:
Thanks Rocky, too bad I slept through Physics, ask me something about marketing. :b

When the water levels are uneven it means your wine is gassing co2/so2 and the s lock is working properly. When the two cylinders are both level it means your wine has stopped producing gasses.
This is the number one reason I like the s lock. It's very easy to see when your wine is done or ready for the next step.

Back